Page 10 of 217 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast

Thread: D.H. Lawrence's Short Stories Thread

Blog Entries
    It is strange, and a little mysterious. What I think is that another form of reality is settling in. By such love, the two have coupled as one unit, and in some heavenly sphere I believe Lawrence thinks they will be one, two halves of the male/female dualism. But that is in a heavenly sphere and they are still on earth and in the context of individual flesh and blood. Her insecurity is something that comes out of internal self (her ego I think L would say), a wall between her and him. I'm a little less certain on this that the other stuff I've explained.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    It is strange, and a little mysterious. What I think is that another form of reality is settling in. By such love, the two have coupled as one unit, and in some heavenly sphere I believe Lawrence thinks they will be one, two halves of the male/female dualism. But that is in a heavenly sphere and they are still on earth and in the context of individual flesh and blood. Her insecurity is something that comes out of internal self (her ego I think L would say), a wall between her and him. I'm a little less certain on this that the other stuff I've explained.
    Virgil, I buy all of this. I like your take on the dualism - two halves of the male/female. Yes, it fits well with L's ideas/ideals. He never really departs fully from reality, does he? Just when one things spiritually he yanks you back into the real world we all must live in. I think here he grounds the story in this final scene in reality with Mabel's insecurity. I had not thought of it before, but it is more evident to me now. It is a sort of device to pull one back to the actual physical world.

Virgil, Now I am satisfied with this story. I think we can now wrap this one up and go onto the next one, what do you think?

Happy to report that last night I read "The Prussian Officer".
    Wow, I liked it very much! I thought I had read it before, but now I don't think it at all familiar; if I did, I had forgotten it. I may have another read-through of the story tonight, but basically I have a good memory of the plot at this time, still quite fresh in my mind.

I don't know how we will treat this story, since we don't have the text online to cut and paste, as we did with the others. We will have to type out passages, I suppose.
    I will leave the start to you - you are so good at it. Can we begin at the opening scene when the soldiers are marching toward the mountains?

I have a question, also. Is this a "frame story"? Doesn't it start at one point and return to it at the end? Or since it is all being told by one person with no set introduction, would it be considered something else? It is told in three distinct parts. This is quite different in format and subject matter than "HDD" or other L short stories. It will definitely make for a lively and enthralling discussion.

Afternote:I was going to read only one part of the story last night, but I could not put it down. I had to find out what was going to happen. A very good read!

I wonder if Asa has read it yet.
    Last edited by Janine; 04-23-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Great that you liked The Horse Dealer's Daughter and that you are satisfied with our interpretations. I say "our" because so much one arrives through a give and take.

I haven't read The Prussian Officer in many years. I'll read it tonight. Glad you liked it.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Great that you liked The Horse Dealer's Daughter and that you are satisfied with our interpretations. I say "our" because so much one arrives through a give and take.

I haven't read The Prussian Officer in many years. I'll read it tonight. Glad you liked it.
    Virgil, Glad you saw this. Glad now to move on. I think we beat "HDD" to death don't you?....a l t h o u g h.....I probably could have said a few more things about it.....

.......happy to move on though....something new is definitely in order

Virgil, take your time reading; Asa may not have read it yet either. For once I am the first to read something - amazing

Yes, loved all the stories we did so far! And this one is great, too.

Havent read yet. Spending my free time pouring concrete footings for my blasted deck! A tree fell on it this weekend.

I will try my best to finish the story asap

Asa
    penuriosus est is quisnam denies scientia

Asa Adams

Currently reading

Ethan Frome
    Portrait of an artist.....again*sigh*

Blog Entries
    Asa, take your time. Virgil and I are in no hurry; when we started this thread we figured we would go out our own pace and in-between other things like 'book of the month', etc. I just happened to be between books last night and read it. It was good, but a little longer than the last one I believe; has three parts. I will probably read it again. We can start a few days from now, or when we all have read it. No problem.
    Sorry about your deck. Trees can be hazzardous - at least it did not fall on you!

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    Hey guys...sorry for the intrusion...a "little birdie" told me to come and visit the thread...and well...here I am I just read a short story by Lawrence... Rocking-Horse Winner. As I was reading it, I realized that I had read that story a long time ago....back in my freshman (high school) English class...

Anyway...don't let me interrupt the flow of your discussion...just wanted to stop by and share that
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    Well, that is a good story, Malwethien. Would you like to join our discussion? Perhaps we can pick Rocking Horse Winner as an up coming story for discussion. Anyway, feel free to join any time you wish. You are not interrupting.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by malwethien View Post
    Hey guys...sorry for the intrusion...a "little birdie" told me to come and visit the thread...and well...here I am I just read a short story by Lawrence... Rocking-Horse Winner. As I was reading it, I realized that I had read that story a long time ago....back in my freshman (high school) English class...

Anyway...don't let me interrupt the flow of your discussion...just wanted to stop by and share that
    Hi malwethien, Could I have been that little birdie? I am trying to get word out about our great thread here and inspire some people to read some Lawrence.
    Yes, "Rocking Horse Winner" is a very good story. I believe that at that point in his short story writing, L crosses over into a more surrealistic or magical world. My sister always loved that story. She still recalls it. Leaves an impression on one.
    This story we are currently reading is different, but quite captivating. Given your keen sensitivity to people and characters, I think you would like it very much. Not a romance though, but good interaction between characters.
    Virgil has posted a link to the story online. I read it in one night, and intended to break it up for a 3 part reading, but then I read on - I wanted to see what was to happen at the outcome/end. It captivated me the way L wrote it.
    Sure hope you come in and comment from time to time, or at least read the posts. I know you will enjoy them and learn something new here.

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hi malwethien, Could I have been that little birdie? I am trying to get word out about our great thread here and inspire some people to read some Lawrence.
    This story we are currently reading is different, but quite captivating. Given your keen sensitivity to people and characters, I think you would like it very much. Not a romance though, but good interaction between characters.
    Virgil has posted a link to the story online. I read it in one night, and intended to break it up for a 3 part reading, but then I read on - I wanted to see what was to happen at the outcome/end. It captivated me the way L wrote it.
    Sure hope you come in and comment from time to time, or at least read the posts. I know you will enjoy them and learn something new here.
    Yes, of course, who else would it be? You are reading The Prussian Officer? If that's the one then I have already found a copy online and I am planning on reading it
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    Oh good, some one else joining!!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by malwethien View Post
    Yes, of course, who else would it be? You are reading The Prussian Officer? If that's the one then I have already found a copy online and I am planning on reading it
    Hi malwethien, just realised the link is in email, but it is probably the same site. I will send the link to you. Virgil sent it to me and to Asa.
    Great - so glad you can join us! The story is an interesting one to disguss. Later you might want to read the two we just discussed and read the posts to learn more about the stories. Those were a little shorter than this one.

inspirangel
    a rainbow-swept wilderness location on top of the Moors - UK
    hi you all !! so glad to see some enthusiasm for Lawrence here !! where do I sign ?? seriously, I would like to join your discussions? Thanks

"all his success was hers .........." (Sons and Lover)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inspirangel View Post
    hi you all !! so glad to see some enthusiasm for Lawrence here !! where do I sign ?? seriously, I would like to join your discussions? Thanks

"all his success was hers .........." (Sons and Lover)
    Love your name Inspirangel. Welcome to lit net. You've already joined. Come along. We are in the middle of reading The Prussian Officer. No one has posted anything on it yet. If you go back in this thread, we've read two other stories, "Things," and "The Horse Dealer's Daughter." Feel free to comment on them, or you cqn start with "The Prussian Officer."

I see you're a big Lawrence fan. Join the club!!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

inspirangel
    a rainbow-swept wilderness location on top of the Moors - UK
    Thanks for the encouragement - will head for the City Library on Saturday in meantime would appreciate your critique of my helium article on "The Piano" - DH of course !!