Page 180 of 217 FirstFirst ... 80130170175176177178179180181182183184185190 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 3249

Thread: D.H. Lawrence's Short Stories Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Scarlett - I believe you can find all of DH Lawrence's work here: http://gutenberg.net.au/pages/lawren...l#shortstories. Or at least a large part.
    Thank you, Virgil. I did find "Wintry Peacock," but not at that site. Many thanks for directing me to all of Lawrence's stories. They really need to bring out a Collected Works volume for his short stories.

Thanks to you, too, Janine. The introduction is lovely!

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Ooh, I'd like to participate! I haven't read any D.H. Lawrence but short stories and I only ran across those when studying for a lit test. I read "The Horse Dealer's Daughter" and "Odour of Chrysanthemums", the only two short stories of his to appear in my Norton Anthology.

Which book should I buy to follow along here?

Blog Entries
    All the stories we discuss here can be found online. But you could buy the complete short stories of D.H. Lawrence, they come in three volumes. I currently have Volume 1 and 3 I think.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilde woman View Post
    Ooh, I'd like to participate! I haven't read any D.H. Lawrence but short stories and I only ran across those when studying for a lit test. I read "The Horse Dealer's Daughter" and "Odour of Chrysanthemums", the only two short stories of his to appear in my Norton Anthology.

Which book should I buy to follow along here?
    Glad to see you here, Wilde woman. Hope you can participate. The two stories youi mentioned are ones we discussed early on in this thread. You might go back in the pages and view the discussion on each. Both were great stories and wonderful discussions.

Getting the right books is the thing. As Dark Muse pointed out, there are three volumes which comprise Lawrence's complete short story set. I just looked on Amazon and you have to buy them second-hand or new at a hefty price. I had Volume 3 myself, for many years, and I had to purchase volumes 1,2 this way - used. There is another book listed with 47 of his stories, but the thing is it does not list which ones they are. If you go back a page here, in this thread, you will see links to the Project Guttenburg site, which has all his story texts available online. You can copy the story out and read it on your computer; that is another option. Good luck, whichever you decide on.
    Last edited by Janine; 04-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Well, since I am catching the beginning of this story discussion, I am going to participate. Hopefully I won't regret it....
    J.H.S.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstoryfan View Post
    Well, since I am catching the beginning of this story discussion, I am going to participate. Hopefully I won't regret it....
    Glad to see you here, too, shortstoryfan; seems this thread was meant for you (user name) and I love your avy - that color of green is amazing - emerald! We decided not to actually start discussing the story until about the 20th of this month. In the meantime, the story is announced a page back, and everyone can start reading it and mull it over and get prepared. I don't think anyone much on this thread (and it has been active for a long time with many pages of comments/discussion) has ever gone away and regretted it. It will be great fun, I guarentee it! Glad to have you here and on the forum. So nice to see some new participants.

Thanks to you, too, Janine. The introduction is lovely!
    Thanks MissScarlett, it is nice to be appreciated.
    Last edited by Janine; 04-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow, this is the most we've ever had for a story. Should be fun.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Wow, this is the most we've ever had for a story. Should be fun.
    That's what I thought, Virgil. Also, I knew the rooster would arrive soon, if I put the buzz in his ear! I better get reading it for the upteenth time or maybe it's not necessary. I just have such a poor memory sometimes; might be better to just review the text as I go along...by now I know the story well.

Blog Entries
    I have not had time to read the story yet, I have been too busy which school. I am going to try to get it done though.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I have not had time to read the story yet, I have been too busy which school. I am going to try to get it done though.
    Good, but you still have plenty of time. It's not long at all and you can read it closer to discussion date which is the 20th; it's a fast one to read, and that is coming from me, the 'slow reader'.

Dark Muse luck with your studies!

Banned
    I've read the story and love it, and I am a slow reader, too. Wish I weren't at times, but at other times, I like to savor a book or story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissScarlett View Post
    I've read the story and love it, and I am a slow reader, too. Wish I weren't at times, but at other times, I like to savor a book or story.
    Exactly my own thoughts. In high school, you were forced to read quickly or you could not keep up. I think I skimmed most of my books and actually hated reading at the time; I don't recall a novel I read back then. Now I love reading, since I savor each word, passage. There is nothing wrong with 'slow readers' - once we got discussing that on the forum and you would be surprised how many admitted they were slow, so most likely we are the norm.

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone

It's been ages since I posted on litnet...hopefully there are some people who still remember me..lol
    What's the new story, Janine? I can't find its name in the pages.

I might join in, just after giving the story a read.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    Hello everyone

It's been ages since I posted on litnet...hopefully there are some people who still remember me..lol
    What's the new story, Janine? I can't find its name in the pages.

I might join in, just after giving the story a read.
    I see Janine's offline now, but she chose "The Wintry Peacock."

Blog Entries
    Thanks, MissScarlett for giving Nossa the information. I will repost the introduction since there seems to be a little confusion.

Our next short story will be:

Wintry Peacock

Literary connection

Two entries from Wikipedia

In late 1917, after constant harassment by the military authorities, Lawrence was forced to leave Cornwall at three days' notice under the terms of the Defence of the Realm Act (DORA). This persecution was later described in an autobiographical chapter of his Australian novel Kangaroo, published in 1923. He spent some months in early 1918 in the small, rural village of Hermitage near Newbury, Berkshire. He then lived for just under a year (mid-1918 to early 1919) at Mountain Cottage, Middleton-by-Wirksworth, Derbyshire, where he wrote one of his most poetic short stories, The Wintry Peacock. Until 1919 he was compelled by poverty to shift from address to address and barely survived a severe attack of influenza.

One of D. H. Lawrence's houses (Mountain Cottage), in which he lived
    with Frieda in 1918-19, stands below the B5023 road on the outskirts of
    Middleton-by-Wirksworth, approximately 1.5 mile NW of Wirksworth. Lawrence also reputedly spent a lot of time at Woodland Cottage on the opposite side of New Road. While staying in Middleton in the bitter winter of 1918-19, Lawrence wrote the short story A Wintry Peacock (published 1921).

Note: We will start this discussing this story the 20th of April, Monday. You can all start reading it; maybe jot down some notes or underline in your text. (see previous posts for links to the online text); but please, hold off posting, until all are gathered back here, in 2 weeks time. Thanks! I think you will all enjoy the irony and pastoral, poetic writing in this story. I found it very amusing. As they say "lost in translation.". You will know what I mean after reading this story.