Thread: Prediction vs. Reality

Prediction vs. Reality

From my point of view, it is quite evident that George Orwell had predicted totalitarianism.

If that is true, the question is: Was George Orwell right about the future? If he was, can you please post your thoughts? (thank you )

While I was reading "1984", I was thinking about the things that were happening today. For example, Democratic People's Republic of (North) Korea's government is very similar to that of Oceania. From what I know, North Korea has been involved in training their children to be loyal towards the nation and those who opposed against the nation were imprisoned. Furthermore, DPRK installed radios in different areas to persuade and teach people. Oceania Party is somehow similar to North Korea. Oceania Party totally brainwashed children through the telescreens and propaganda.

In my opinion, telescreens and televisions are very similar. In "1984" the telescreens have brainwashed and controlled the people while in the 21st century we are greatly influenced by the television.

Telescreen was a prediction that not many could've imagined.

Once again... What do you think the similarity/difference between George Orwell's prediction of the future and reality?

I would appreciate all answers. Thank you

We discussed that question in other threads, check it.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by flambeaux View Post
    From my point of view, it is quite evident that George Orwell had predicted totalitarianism.

If that is true, the question is: Was George Orwell right about the future? If he was, can you please post your thoughts? (thank you )

While I was reading "1984", I was thinking about the things that were happening today. For example, Democratic People's Republic of (North) Korea's government is very similar to that of Oceania. From what I know, North Korea has been involved in training their children to be loyal towards the nation and those who opposed against the nation were imprisoned. Furthermore, DPRK installed radios in different areas to persuade and teach people. Oceania Party is somehow similar to North Korea. Oceania Party totally brainwashed children through the telescreens and propaganda.

In my opinion, telescreens and televisions are very similar. In "1984" the telescreens have brainwashed and controlled the people while in the 21st century we are greatly influenced by the television.

Telescreen was a prediction that not many could've imagined.

Once again... What do you think the similarity/difference between George Orwell's prediction of the future and reality?

I would appreciate all answers. Thank you
    Unfortunately, it would be a discussion on current world politics, which is not allowed (or desirable).

I will note that 1984 is in no way predictive, either by accident or design. Orwell had already seen the results of totalitarianism, in Germany, Russia, Italy and Spain. As always, he was writing about what he knew already.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon