Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you write?

closed

how do you write?

how do you write? do you write until it's done? do you take your time and let it sit on our desk until its begging to be written? do you write because you know you should? do you write only when youre inspired to do so?

I write my essays in at least 5 drafts. The first three pretty much align the quotes and structure, the last two focus on rhetorical devices, and stylistic conventions.

Now that I have to concern myself with other matters, like living life, and can't dedicate myself solely to writing, my habits have changed a great deal. I used to write slowly and carefully, revising on the second day what I wrote the first day, revising on the third day what I wrote on the second day, and so on, so that when I reached the end I had something quite close to a "final" draft, if such things exist.

I can't afford to spend my time writing in this manner anymore, so I do things differently. First of all, I don't start something unless I intend to finish it, so I sit on the idea for a long time, long enough that I'm sure I'm interested in it. Then I basically just throw up on the page, trying to get the ideas out. I try to play with language, to reflect my own personality with the style, but I don't sweat it too much. I just write.

Later, I go back and try to sculpt something cohesive out of it. I try to identify what made the piece spontaneous and fresh to me so I won't kill that aspect through revision. I've decided that in the case of my creative works, at least, whatever connections I'm making subconsciously produce better results than when I force themes or connections, so the most I try to do is clarify or adjust. I'm like that in my personality, too. The most insightful or witty things I say sort of just come out without much thought, as if the gears turn more smoothly in my brain when I'm unaware of them.

trying fiction again
    Tearing my hair out in bloody clumps.

That's how I write.

And that's if I am not procrastinating about it.

Blog Entries
    I start with an image or a joke that makes me laugh, and if I feel the situation has the potential to be expanded I do so. I run through several drafts, spit balling and streamlining. Then I put it away for awhile to see if I still find what I wrote funny or if I was just drunk that day. I return to what I write if I think it's any good and cut and cut and cut, until only the best parts remain, and then I start again. The pain is transitions, that and maintaining my own interest in a project. Most things I don't really care enough about to put any work on and I dash them off and dump them.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

There's a lot of procrastination and hoping for the best in my writing. Sometimes I just throw something together (see my blog entry "On Dictators and Cows"). I usually don't brainstorm, nor do I do rough drafts. I revise as I write.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

A FLEECED MONSTROSITY aBIGsheep's Avatar
    Usually I'll just have these huge urges to write and I'll just bust out a ton of small stories or poems. Sometimes it could go on for days before I get caught up in one special story, suddenly lose my drive, and just stop right in the middle of it and abandon it for som
    The worst feeling in the world isn't loneliness, it's being forgotten by someone you can't forget.

Usually I only write when something touches me deeply. I start off with an inspirational phrase or sentance. Sometimes, the rest comes fluidly. Other times, it will take months.. or years to finish something.
    Silence is golden. But in the absence of silence, classical music is the avenue which chaos is turned into harmonious order.

Yes... I am THIS weird

When I can't sleep and thoughts keep rolling around in my head. I get up at all hours of the night, write a page or two...maybe a poem. When I'm finished I go back to bed.

I'd like to go to bed now, because I've been looking around on this site for an hour. I can not, for my life, find out how to post something new of my own. I'd appreciate help, if anyone's willing to give it.
    Last edited by OnMyWay; 08-10-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Ars longa... vita brevis Melmoth's Avatar
    I do not write... I just keep re-writing...

I'd like to think the process begins with emotions recollected in tranquillity as the Romantic said and I in my case it's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration... as someone said (why do I never remember who said that???)

Of course, the problem comes when the 1% is missing for long and one can call it back...

Needless to say, you write as you read... alone... he he . Let me manipulate Conrad's words ('You die as you dream... alone')

And you somehow write what you read... The influence of one's readings in one's writings is, I believe, more than obvious... at least in my case, again.
    'The past only brings... painful memories... the future, the pains to come' Once Upon the Graveyard by Dark Awake

Check out our myspace!
    http://www.myspace.com/darkawake

Blog Entries
    Posting is simple. Go to the forum in which you want to post and click on the "new topic" botton at the top left (for example, click on the Philosphical Literature forum from the main page, the click on the blue tab right above the words "threads in Forum."
    The result will be a blank entry with a place for the Topic Title, and then a larger empty box in which you can either write out what you want to post, or copy and paste from a word processor.
    Cheers,
    John
    Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Usually I start a story and don't finish it. They may become finished sometime. There is a funny story I am writing right now that I am focusing on finishing because it is a story I think people would enjoy, and it is one of those stories that can easily have a sequel. Check it out!

How do I write?

I have many ways to inspire myself but it mainly comes without me asking it to do it. For example I sit on a bench in a summer day and look at the sunset, millions of sparkles everywhere... Who won't feel at least a little bit emotional? Then I begin to imagine - a calm couple, sitting on the same bench, talking about life and death... Then the sunset comes and - you have it - story, I just add a few more things I think of whilst writing and that's all.

Other times I sit on my desk at home, take a notebook, draw something stupid, get bored and rest lifelessly on the chair... In a moment I notice the moon outside, shining high and bright... Then an idea comes - a lonely abandoned street, sleeping as the whole city. Then I create the characters, the plot and - done again.

So what makes me write, what brings in me the dreadful desire to express myself in words is mostly the nature which surrounds me in my beautiful motherland...

Me, poor me! The muse, she seeks my mind...
    Take the time to make some sense/Of what you want to say/And cast your words away upon the waves/Bring them back with Acquiesce/On a ship of hope today/And as they fall upon the shore/Tell them not to fear no more/Say it loud and sing it proud/And they...

I write and rarely edit what I write. English is my second language and when I used to write in Nepali, my mother tongue, I did not have to think twice and ideas occurred to me interminably and there was no problem or shortage of words, no worries about structuring or organizing sentences.

Now I write in English and it is a borrowed language. I run short of words and write with suspicion that there can be countless flaws in my grammar, and of course in the choice of right words, for I am always afraid that I may lack coherence and consistency in my writings.

Yet until I am told to present or deliver something in writings for some programs I do not prune or hone or edit what I write.

I believe in spontaneity, that means I want to let ideas flow from me and take their own courses and language will follow suit and take their care themsleves.
    Now I have scaled a certain height and measured certain distances and crossed some impending barriers and at this stage I feel comfortable with the language tool but still I am far off from native writers in English. I learned it not the way in which I learned Nepali, and I learned it not through interactions or verbal conversations or getting across with native speakers.

I learned it through books, reading everything and impressing or imprinting them on myself and indeed it has been a Herculean task but considerably I succeeded in yoking it on my back to the extent I am communicating with you now. I have just scaled a small mountain and other bigger mountains are before me.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

trying fiction again

the gov

Quote Originally Posted by Melmoth View Post
    it's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration... as someone said (why do I never remember who said that???)
    Wasn't that Arnold Schwartzenegger?

Actually, it was Thomas Edison who supposedly said that. But I still suspect Schwartzenegger perspired more. And Edison inspired more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast