Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: canterbury tales

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Me too. I´m curious about that tale.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I've started the tale but I haven't finished it. However, I enjoy the translation by Ronald L Ecker and Eugene J. Crook. I don't know if they translated it well or not, but I enjoy reading their iambic pentameter. It makes me wonder if Chaucer was using this meter or if he was using a variation on the older alliterative meter found in Beowulf. Regardless the translation sounds nice and I would almost like to hear an audio of it.

Blog Entries
    I haven´t finished it either yet.

Here one can compare the modern version with the original Chaucer verses(with glossary).

http://www.librarius.com/cantales.htm

I am also going to revive the Decameron thread. I wonder if one of this authors influenced the other.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 09-10-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    I finished it. I am not sure if this would be considered a rom-com or not. It is humorous. So it probably is. There is also Pluto and Prosirpina arguing the issue on the side. I suspect January got what he deserved. Here's a couplet I enjoyed for its sound if nothing else:

"Deceived when blind is no worse than to be
    A man who's been deceived when he can see."

Blog Entries
    I read it too, the kind of humour reminds me of the Decameron. I don´t know, what a ron-con is. What caught my attention was, that though the perspective is male, it shows how the young women, who were married to someone without having their wishes consulted and then were kept in the house almost as sexual slaves, got their own way as good as that was possible .

Blog Entries
    A rom-com is a romantic comedy. Usually there's an unambiguous happy ending for the main couple. I would expect the main couple here to be May and Damien not May and January. The story seems to be from a male perspective. January is an idiot and Damien ends up proving it. I don't know what May thinks of this arrangement. She goes along with both of them. Perhaps there is someone else she likes besides either of these two?

Blog Entries
    I think May favours Damien. And it just occured to me that the name Damien is a variant of .

What about reading the tale about of the woman of Bath next?

Blog Entries
    I checked and it looks like the name "Damien" might be related to "demon". It supposedly also means "to tame". There is also a Saint Damien. After posting yesterday, I wondered if The Merchant's Tale could be considered erotica? I think you are right that May likes Damien, but I think she also likes January.

The Wife of Bath's tale is one of my favorites. I know the story, but I like the sound of these translations. I'll try to read that tonight.

Blog Entries
    I don´t know or I don´t remember the story, what today amounts to the same.

About those tales being considered erotica, possibly yes, specially as thei were inspired by the Decameron. But even the Decameron doesn´t consist only of erotic stories. There are some very moral tales like the story of Griselda and the one about the three rings.

Blog Entries
    I am half way through the Wife of Bath's prologue.

Here are a few lines to tempt others to read this translation (lines 107-112): http://english.fsu.edu/canterbury/wifepro.html

But Christ, who of perfection is the well,
    Did not bid everyone to go and sell
    All that he had and give it to the poor
    And thereby follow him; no, this was for
    The ones desiring to live perfectly--
    And by your leave, my lords, that isn't me.

Blog Entries
    That sounds promising. I´ll start to read it this evening. I`ll see if I can unearth my book with the tales that is buried somewhere in my shelves.

Blog Entries
    I haven't read any further. I am using the translation you linked to earlier.

Blog Entries
    I had a rather agitated weekend and haven´t read the story yet. But I haven´t forgotten about it, Yes/No. I will post a comment as soon as I have time to read it.

Blog Entries
    I just finished the introduction where the wife of Bath describes her husbands. Her actual tale is next.

Blog Entries
    I just found out that I have already read the tale of the wife of Bath.
    I was looking if there were any stories in English by Cortázar.
    Cortázar is a master in combining phantastic and realistic elements.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast