View Poll Results: Norwegian Wood: Final Verdict

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

1 8.33%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

1 8.33%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

3 25.00%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

7 58.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August / Japan Reading: Norwegian Wood

Gone through the first 120 pages of the book in one sitting (one sitting should tell I have found it quite interesting ) Hopefully will tell more about my views once I finish it.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Well, Pensive, don't do the same mistake as I did reading other people's comments before finishing the book as there are quite a few spoilers...

So, back to the book:

Quote Originally Posted by mickitaz View Post
    I find Turo's and Naoko's relationship interesting. While Turo expresses care, concern (maybe even love) for Naoko; I feel that in reality, perhaps he is not really in love with her per se. Given the circumstances of Kizuki's death, I feel the two were/are bound by circumstances.
    At the end of the book, when Reiko and Turo are celebrating that 2nd funeral, Turo says

"But I can't forget her," I said. "I told Naoko I would go on waiting for her, but I couldn't do it. I turned my back on her in the end. I'm not saying anyone's to blame: it's a problem for me myself. I do think that things would have worked out the same way even if I hadn't turned my back on her. Naoko was choosing death all along. But that's beside the point. I can't forgive myself. You tell me there's nothing I can do about a natural change in feelings, but my relationship with Naoko was not that simple. If you stop and think about it, she and I were bound together at the border between life and death. It was like that for us from the start."
    I dont think that either of them was in love with the other, it was more that they were bound together by Kizuki and maybe got these feelings confused. Like they thought they understood each other better than anyone and wouldn't find anyone else like that.

As some of you have said I didn't like the character of Naoko.
    Not only was she constantly lost and feeling sorry for herself, but she wasn't even fair to the people she supposedly loved. I mean why didn't she say anything when Toru was talking about his plans for the future?

She was the total opposite of Nagasawa who was always straght forward and who says at one point:
    Don't feel sorry for yourself, only a**holes do that
    or something along those lines anyway.

As a whole anyway, Toru was sitting between two stools so to speak:
    One wasdeath: with Naoko, memories of Kizuki, and the other was life with Midori and Nagasawa who take advantage o every opportunity to enjoy life. But never quite deciding where to go.

But in the end, it seems that Toru has gotten out of that vicious circle Naoko was dragging him. At the beginning, he says that he is slowly forgetting Naoko and that sometimes he really has to concentrate to remember her...
    I think that's a good sign.

Currently reading:
    The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky

Blog Entries
    I didnt dislike Naoko. I dont think she was being selfish either. Depression is a very difficult thing to deal with. Some may say that people who commite suicide are selfish in death because they dont think of the consequences it would have on the family. But in the end it is a relief for them, no more pain and sorrow, they are finally at peace.
    I knew Naoko was going to commite suicide, it was obvious from the direction her mental illness was going, especially when she first mentions the voices.
    I think that Toru was being a tiny bit selfish when it came to mentioning to her to move in with him. He had been previously told by Reiko to be patiant, but more or less telling someone that your moving in march and that would be a great time for them to move in, isnt exactly being patiant. Seeing as she was going deeper into her well of depression (i too agree the well is symbolic of depression), this might have been another knock to her, hence why she might not have wanted Toru to be part of a group discussion. He could have become part of the problem instead of the relief.
    I do think Toru loved Naoko, but it was more of the head, to be her protector, than a love of body and soul which he found in Midori.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

http://almatrafij.blogspo HerGuardian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nagasawa is somewhat bizarre in his way of living. He always tries to be number one in everything. On the other hand, his relationship with Hatsumi -who as he said is a great person, greater than what he deserves - is degrading to her. He most of the time tries to hurt her emotionally and psychologically. For example, he tells her about his nights-out with girls saying it's his system of living. Also, when he said to said to Toeu in front of Hatsumi that he wants to go out with Hatsumi, Toru and a girl (Toru should bring her) then exchange Hatsumi with Toru's girl. Maybe he wanted to destroy the good image Hatsumi has about Toru - by bringing up the topic when he and Toru exchanged girls - but saying such a thing is offensive.
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again
    Wish you and him the best of everything

Reading some of Ibsen's plays

Yes Nagasawa is a very peculiar character. On one hand he is being very nice and sometimes "generous" with Toru and it seems that he even considers him as a friend. But then on the other side, he's a really selfish, self centerd person.
    And as you've sais absolutely horrible in the way he behaves with his girlfriend.

I think he just cannot be bothered to stop and consider what others think or feel.

He's quite a complex character to understand (at least for me)

Currently reading:
    The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky

Blog Entries
    yeah i agree that he is complex. He was the character i like least. dont understand why Hatsumi remained with him until he went away. i suppose love does strange things. I was sad to read that she was to kill herself...
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Blog Entries
    Once Nagasawa said to Toru "We are the same." I believe that's true in many aspects. For instance, they both don't mind abuse anyone to get what they want. Toru always tells jokes about his roommate Trooper just to make people laugh. He even went too far by spicing things up about Trooper's sexual attitudes toward the pictures. Another example, exactly like Nagasawa, Toru satisfies his excessive sexual needs by sleeping with unknown-to-him girls.
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HerGuardian View Post
    Once Nagasawa said to Toru "We are the same." I believe that's true in many aspects. For instance, they both don't mind abuse anyone to get what they want. Toru always tells jokes about his roommate Trooper just to make people laugh. He even went too far by spicing things up about Trooper's sexual attitudes toward the pictures. Another example, exactly like Nagasawa, Toru satisfies his excessive sexual needs by sleeping with unknown-to-him girls.
    Yes but that is partly due to the influence of Nagasawa. What proves he is different, is his abstainance after his visit to Naoko. The shows more strength in character.
    I agree with the Storm Trooper bit. He used him for his own enjoyment and as a form of connecting himself with the world. Its after Storm Trooper goes that he really starts to realise his own isolation.
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Yes but that is partly due to the influence of Nagasawa. What proves he is different, is his abstainance after his visit to Naoko. The shows more strength in character.

It's true that Nagasawa has his influence on Toru like anyone else - meant both ways-. However, Toru's abstinence was due to him being busy and the pain he felt because of his relations with Naoko and Midori; otherwise, he would have continued the same way.

One last word, the novel is excellent though the discussion was not.
    Read it people, it's a good one
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    What do you think happened to the Trooper? Has he committed suicide too?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I was wondering about that too. Its possible.
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    What do you think happened to the Trooper? Has he committed suicide too?
    His disappearance was strange especially when they came and took his stuff without saying WHY or WHAT'S WRONG!!

He's not suicidal like others but maybe cause his family is poor he didn't come back.
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HerGuardian View Post
    His disappearance was strange especially when they came and took his stuff without saying WHY or WHAT'S WRONG!!

He's not suicidal like others but maybe cause his family is poor he didn't come back.
    Why wouldn't he come back himself then to collect his belongings? Why send someone else?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Why wouldn't he come back himself then to collect his belongings? Why send someone else?
    that's strange but i think his belongings were only the poster
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again

Blog Entries
    I feel that maybe something had happened to him during vacation. He may have been in an accident, rendering him unfit to return to college, presuming he had not died. Truth be told i spent the rest of the novel thinking that he, like Naoko, had a bad turn and was in a hospital.
    W.B.Yeats

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast