Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Not A Mark!

Why pester someone for... formality hater's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not A Mark!

I remember scribbling quick notes on my course books and underlining almost everything.When I would prepare for a test I would not bother to read the entire text and those notes would be enough to get me good marks.On the other hand,I would hate to put even a small dot on the novels,magazines and even newspapers.My siblings think that it is quite absurd, but I really don't think so.Then again,maybe?

Do you write anything on your books, and what do you feel about the whole idea of keeping them spick and span?
    Leaping and hopping like a frog now, but still have a long way to go before I get crowned as "King Frog"!

Blog Entries
    My novels for Lit and Drama are covered in sticky tabs and written notes as well as highlighted sections and everything. It's kind of expected in class for us to do that. I remember when we were doing our last novel, I'd colour coded references to certain ideas in the novel, and when one of the maths teachers was in our class, our Lit teacher pointed it out and said "Now thats a Lit student.". But otherwise I don't write in them... But I'm not fussy over keeping them neat or anything.

Blog Entries
    I like to take notes in the margins and link my ideas. I also like to read books that others have taken notes in, it's almost like having a discussion.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps because of my training in historiography and library research, I never mark anything in my books except my name, city of purchase, and date on the inside cover; note taking is always on separate pieces of paper.
    I have found that extensive note taking and rephrasing passages of text helps not only my understanding of what I am reading but also aids in memory retention as well: I follow the advice of a sage professor who once said, "Well,well,well, if you want to learn anything, make your own notes."
    Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

I was just thinking of this yesterday. I write notes both on books and on separate papers. But, I think there is one book on which I won't be able to write. I need to study this book but it is so beautiful with the softest pages I have ever touched, that I think it would just break my heart to write on them. So I'll make an exception for this book.

I keep on marking and particularly when I come upon something telling I underline it.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

only school books have markings and i use sticky notes and stuff but for personal books at home, not a speck. i dont even like to bend the spine on softcover books.. (only mine and friends) at school, all the books are pretty much ruined so i dont really care too much.
    For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
    Jeremiah 29:11