Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Book Club Reading List

Just a quick message to say thanks for this thread... Not only is it interesting to get reading ideas, but then to find the thread and read other people's comments on 'em.

Thanks for taking the time

Currently reading:
    The Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky

Significant and stimulating list of all books.It is laudable.This would be likewise a stimulus to read instead of searching for all the post of books.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    hey scher, can we find out now what month we will be reading what so can plan year accordingly ?
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

how bout a thriller!!!!!!!!!

has everyone read something by Paul Auster?

Hi huck,
    Yes I read a couple of books by Paul Auster just a few weeks ago, The Brooklyn Follies, New York Trilogy and Mr Vertigo..which seems to be the more acclaimed titles. It was interesting to note that these three books had very different colours, it seemed as if they were not written by the same author.

Is it to late to nominate a country for this year?
    Always do that, wild ducks do. They shoot to the bottom as deep as they can get, sir — and bite themselves fast in the tangle and seaweed — and all the devil's own mess that grows down there. And they never come up again. - The Wild Duck, Henrik Ibsen.

Quote Originally Posted by skasian View Post
    Hi huck,
    Yes I read a couple of books by Paul Auster just a few weeks ago, The Brooklyn Follies, New York Trilogy and Mr Vertigo..which seems to be the more acclaimed titles. It was interesting to note that these three books had very different colours, it seemed as if they were not written by the same author.
    Strangely enough, that is actually possible, given the trends in contemporary popular fiction.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Quote Originally Posted by huck View Post
    I haven't.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huck View Post
    I've read some of his works, unfortunately I am far from reading everything he has published (I wish I had though), but still he is one of my favourite authors. Skasian is right that most of them are very different from each other and that's one of their benefits. I find his books refreshing and inspiring because although they look rather ordinary, they always give some strangely different point of view toward the whole world. It's mainly in the details, but you can see these books are written by a person who thinks inside the box. Well, at least this is how I see the things.
    If you decide to give his books a try keep in mind that Auster also has been directing movies. You will see that some of his books are rather similar to a film - especially when it comes to the rhythm of the narration, the plot and its sometimes really unpredictable twist and even to the characters.
    Last edited by Alexei; 01-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Currently reading:
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I thought it would be a good idea to list all the books which have been read so far for the new members:

The genres to be read in 2009:

Crime fiction

Historical fiction

Gothic

Counter-culture Literature

Detective fiction

Philosophical Novel

War novel

Young adult

Thriller

Horror

Comic novel

Novel of Manners

The countries to be read in 2008:

Egypt

India

Slow Man by J. M. Coetzee / The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco / Dubliners by James Joyce / Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather: Stories by Gao Xingjian / The Sea by John Banville / Odyssey by Homer / The Road by Cormac McCarthy / Norwegian Wood by Murakami

2007 Books

Fathers and Sons by Turgenev / Master and Margarita by Bulgakov / Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut / The Call of Cthulhu: And Other Weird Stories by Lovecraft / Run, Rabbit! by Updike / Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie / One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey / Complete Short Fiction by Oscar Wilde / To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf / Women in Love by DH Lawrence / A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving / Slaughterhouse-Five / [B]Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton / Major Barbara by GB Shaw / The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera / Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier / The Grass Harp by Truman Capote / Pygmalion by GB Shaw * Favorites

2006 Books

Twelfth Night by Shakespeare / Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott/The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy/Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Stevenson/David Copperfield by Charles Dickens * Favorites/One Hundreds Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez * Favorites/Shirley by Charlotte Bronte/The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky * Favorites /East of Eden by SteinbeckMort by Terry Pratchett/Waiting for Godot /A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce * Favorites/The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner * Favorites/The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis/The Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells /Possession by A.S. Byatt/The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot * Favorites /A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway * Favorites

2005 Books:

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett /Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint / Remembering John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman / Love in the time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez * Favorites / The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy * Favorites / Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen * Favorites / Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome * Favorites / The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon * Favorites / Summer Reading: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier * Favorites / Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky * Favorites / Hyperion by Dan Simmons The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons * Favorites / Remembering Saul Bellow: Seize the Day / Brave New World by Aldous Huxley * Favorites / Remembering Arthur Miller: The Crucible Favorites / Orlando by Virginia Woolf * Favorites / Lord of the Flies by William Golding * Favorites

2004 Books:

A Christmas Carol by Dickens / A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce / 1984 by George Orwell / The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas / Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen / The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo / Heart of Darkness by Conrad / Frankenstein by Shelly / Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde / Dracula by Bram Stoker

I will update the list as we read more books.
    Oh this is great Scher. I had no idea this existed. I'm forever searching for a past discussion of a book club read. Did you just tack this onto an earlier post because the date of your post says 1/2/05?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Oh this is great Scher. I had no idea this existed. I'm forever searching for a past discussion of a book club read. Did you just tack this onto an earlier post because the date of your post says 1/2/05?
    I don't know the exact date but it's been here for quite awhile, I think since Scher took over the book club.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I am glad you find the thread useful, Virgil.

Like Papaya mentioned, it has been here since I started moderating the Book Club (more or less the date of the original post). I update the information as often as possible.

Which reminds me, an update is due!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I've read a book by oriana fallaci named "a letter to a chid never born "
    it eas published about 40 years a go...
    but it was full of realities and sometimes harsh ones

Do you think i Can find an english version on internet?
    Last edited by Saman; 01-13-2009 at 08:44 AM.

I would really like "Villette" by Charlotte Bronte to be read and discussed. It is such a great, but not greatly known book .
    "Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not match the expectation." - Charlotte Bronte (Villette)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast