John Updike

Mihail Bulgakov

Edith Wharton*

Milan Kundera
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Ok, don't get me wrong, the Classics are amazing, and I haven't read nearly enough, but you have few if any modern writers on here...

A German (i think) favorite of mine is Cornelia Funke. She is the author of many good and widely popular fantasy books. My personal favorite of her books is Inkheart, about a man with the ability to read characters from books. For me, at least, it is a must for anyone who can appreciate an afternoon with a thick book.

It is, in a word, enchanting. You might want to consider her in your future readings.

I'll admit my tastes in book are rather narrow, but I always remain open minded, and will do some research on a few of the authors above...
    "...thought is the arrow of time, memory never fades."

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I thought it would be a good idea to list all the books which have been read so far for the new members:

The authors to be read during 2007:

Oscar Wilde*

Truman Capote

D.H. Lawrence*

Salman Rushdie

Kurt Vonnegut

John Irving

H.P Lovecraft

John Updike

Mihail Bulgakov

Edith Wharton*

Milan Kundera

2007 Books

January '07__________George Bernard Shaw

2006 Books

Twelfth Night by Shakespeare / Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott/The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy/Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Stevenson/David Copperfield by Charles Dickens * Favorites/One Hundreds Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez * Favorites/Shirley by Charlotte Bronte/The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky * Favorites /Mort by Terry Pratchett/Waiting for Godot /A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce * Favorites/The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner * Favorites/The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis/The Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells /Possession by A.S. Byatt/The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot * Favorites /A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway * Favorites

2005 Books:

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett /Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint / Remembering John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman / Love in the time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez * Favorites / The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy * Favorites / Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen * Favorites / Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome * Favorites / The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon * Favorites / Summer Reading: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier * Favorites / Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky * Favorites / Hyperion by Dan Simmons The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons * Favorites / Remembering Saul Bellow: Seize the Day / Brave New World by Aldous Huxley * Favorites / Remembering Arthur Miller: The Crucible Favorites / Orlando by Virginia Woolf * Favorites / Lord of the Flies by William Golding * Favorites

2004 Books:

A Christmas Carol by Dickens / A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce / 1984 by George Orwell / The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas / Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen / The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo / Heart of Darkness by Conrad / Frankenstein by Shelly / Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde / Dracula by Bram Stoker

I will update the list as we read more books.
    scher what do the * mean??
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    scher what do the * mean??
    In this case, it means that I couldn't find any other symbol to signify different entries!

~
    ~

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In 2007, we will be reading the works of:

Oscar Wilde*

George Bernard Shaw*

Truman Capote

D.H. Lawrence*

Salman Rushdie

Kurt Vonnegut

John Irving

H.P Lovecraft

John Updike

Mihail Bulgakov

Edith Wharton*

Milan Kundera
    Read'em all (excluding Edith Warton and Trueman Capote).

Salman Rushdies "Midnights Children" beats them all :-)

Now what we do :-)
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

I absolutely love this list, but I find it's a bit incomplete. For example there's the summer Woolf read, and the 4th of July read... but I don't see them on the list. Of course if you haven't yet updated then I apologize. ^^; Or.... maybe only the "monthly book" is added to the list?
    "It is when the feet weary and hope seems vain that the heartaches and the longings arise. Know, then, that for you is neither surfeit nor content. In your rocking chair, by your window dreaming, shall you long, alone. In your rocking chair, by your window, shall you dream such happiness as you may never feel."
    -- Sister Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    I absolutely love this list, but I find it's a bit incomplete. For example there's the summer Woolf read, and the 4th of July read... but I don't see them on the list. Of course if you haven't yet updated then I apologize. ^^; Or.... maybe only the "monthly book" is added to the list?
    I had not had a chance to update the list; now it is complete.
    ~
    ~

Wow, this is inspiring. I just joined the community to see what others are reading and it's incredible. Do you have a time frame to read each book? 1 per week? 1 a month? I've gotta get me some speed reading skills.

Also, how balanced is it between Fiction vs. Non-Fiction? Do you do any Personal-Development type of books?
    [B]
    [COLOR="Red"]I'm really excited for the book that I just got: Having it All: Achieving Your Life's Goals and Dreams. It was written by John Assaraf, who is featured in the hit movie The Secret...

Hmm, I'm gonna have to look around these forums a little more! I'd like to create a thread to share it with people. Any suggestions on an appropriate place for that?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 11-23-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: url

Beverly
    How do I join this reading club and what's being read for December '07?

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly S View Post
    Welcome .

Once you get 50 posts, you can nominate and vote for books to read for the club. I think anyone can participate in the discussions.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    all the good German authors (cf. next year) I can remember off the top of my head are not available on amazon or borders in English translation (and not on Gutenberg either). no Lion Feuchtwanger, Theodor Fontane (except his 2 most famous book, including Effi Briest ), no Heinar Kipphardt
    .. they do have Georg Büchner, though. so we won't have to read Goethe and Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly S View Post
    The December thread: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=29731

If you visit our General Chat section, you will acquire 50 posts in no time!

General Chat
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    all the good German authors (cf. next year) I can remember off the top of my head are not available on amazon or borders in English translation (and not on Gutenberg either). no Lion Feuchtwanger, Theodor Fontane (except his 2 most famous book, including Effi Briest ), no Heinar Kipphardt
    .. they do have Georg Büchner, though. so we won't have to read Goethe and Schiller
    Interesting. After reading your post, Sleepy, I have tried to think of a "modern" German writer and could not think of one (only 20th Century author I can think of is Remarque). I am looking forward to finding out more!
    ~
    ~

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    General ChatInteresting. After reading your post, Sleepy, I have tried to think of a "modern" German writer and could not think of one (only 20th Century author I can think of is Remarque). I am looking forward to finding out more!
    yep... there's Günter Grass of course. he's quite good. but I tried to think of some less well-known authors and I couldn't find any of those in English translations well, there's lots of time to do research

Hello

Hello, I'm Egale. I joined the literature network long ago, but so far I have not participated in the forums, just read some of the e-books available. I would like to know a little about the montlhly forums. I read the list of books and found it most interesting. Do you read the whole book and then give your opinion about it? Or do you read chapters and discuss them? I would appreciate it if any of the members of the club can explain the procedure to me. By the way, which is the book for march 2008?

Thank you to all of you. I will be awaiting your reply.

Welcome to the Forum, Egale.

We tend to discuss the books as we read along. Anyone who would has a question or would like to comment on something simply posts in the relevant section.

We are still voting for the March book: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=31439

And the nomination thread for April: http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=32321
    ~
    ~

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast