Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Book Club Reading List

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Book Club Reading List

I thought it would be a good idea to list all the books which have been read so far for the new members.

Trends of 2014:

Bestselling airport/beach pop fiction

Gothic Literature

Postcolonialism

Naturalism

Realism

Romanticism

Existentialism

Dark Romanticism

2013 Books:

May '13 (Changing Places by David Lodge *

2009 Books:

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Poe * As For Me and My House by Sinclair Ross * Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt * The Maltese Falcon by Hammet * Catch-22 by Heller * The Awakening by Kate Chopin * Persuasion by Austen * Kim by Rudyard Kipling / The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

2008 Books

The Map of Love by Soueif / The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy /
    Slow Man by J. M. Coetzee / The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco / Dubliners by James Joyce / Buying a Fishing Rod for My Grandfather: Stories by Gao Xingjian / The Sea by John Banville / Odyssey by Homer / The Road by Cormac McCarthy / Norwegian Wood by Murakami

2007 Books

Fathers and Sons by Turgenev / Master and Margarita by Bulgakov / Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut / The Call of Cthulhu: And Other Weird Stories by Lovecraft / Run, Rabbit! by Updike / Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie / One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey / Complete Short Fiction by Oscar Wilde / To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf / Women in Love by DH Lawrence / A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving / Slaughterhouse-Five / [B]Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton / Major Barbara by GB Shaw / The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera / Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier / The Grass Harp by Truman Capote / Pygmalion by GB Shaw * Favorites

2006 Books

Twelfth Night by Shakespeare / Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott/The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy/Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Stevenson/David Copperfield by Charles Dickens * Favorites/One Hundreds Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez * Favorites/Shirley by Charlotte Bronte/The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky * Favorites /East of Eden by SteinbeckMort by Terry Pratchett/Waiting for Godot /A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce * Favorites/The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner * Favorites/The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis/The Island of Dr Moreau by HG Wells /Possession by A.S. Byatt/The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot * Favorites /A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway * Favorites

2005 Books:

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett /Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint / Remembering John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman / Love in the time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez * Favorites / The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy * Favorites / Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen * Favorites / Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome * Favorites / The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon * Favorites / Summer Reading: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier * Favorites / Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky * Favorites / Hyperion by Dan Simmons The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons * Favorites / Remembering Saul Bellow: Seize the Day / Brave New World by Aldous Huxley * Favorites / Remembering Arthur Miller: The Crucible Favorites / Orlando by Virginia Woolf * Favorites / Lord of the Flies by William Golding * Favorites

2004 Books:

A Christmas Carol by Dickens / A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce / 1984 by George Orwell / The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas / Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen / The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo / Heart of Darkness by Conrad / Frankenstein by Shelly / Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde / Dracula by Bram Stoker

I will update the list as we read more books.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Hey, I had no idea there was Heart of Darkness reading. Geez, could have used an idea to get my essay started, lol. Maybe it's a good idea to ... ahem, pay attention

I like the idea, Scher.
    Want a KitKat?
    I have a plan: attack!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You should have posted the links as well, so people would find the related book discussions easier. That of course if you want to be very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sub. The aim of this thread is not to help people to find the links for the discussions on these books (as they are clearly labelled)but simply to keep a track of what has been read so that the same books do not get re-nominated.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 01-10-2005 at 05:29 AM.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    good idea, that way we will have more variety!

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Oh a list...this is what i was looking for! I'm reading Dorian Gray at the moment cos I never did before... can I go back to your old thread and put my opinions there when I finish it? (after all I'm only 14 months late! )
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Koa,
    The threads are open for an unlimited time. It would be great to revive the old ones as I wasn't a member of the Forum at the time either and compare notes with you on 'Dorian'!
    ~
    ~

Cool! I'm really enjoying the book but I'm not going to revive the thread before I finish it, cos I don't want to be influenced reading the posts there... I think in a few days I'll have a look...
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

what happened to august '04? no book for the month?

I wasn't a member of the Forum at the time but I think there was a delay in nomination/voting process so they decided to skip August.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    ai, those were dark days lass, the open seas were dominated by dark sinister ninjas, blood thirsty pirates, an a 'ole lotta confusion and chaos set about during the modorator-piratical war...

Any who... with the coming of the new tide a savior arose, out of the ashes and turmoil, mustering her strength she set about rebuilding and conquering the waring factions, rising to the top, from the people, leading the people to gloriouse victory over the chaotic forumscape...

...her name shall never be forgotten, for next to the dainty whimsical characature of her one self, her name blazes, like a beacon to ward of the chaotic posting, and to bring in those seeking shelter from the raging torments of the open net... Scheherazade

Well that was a bit dramatic, but 'tis about 00:30 here, and I should be asleep

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Stan you're crazy ... but big fun nevertheless... or is it the reason?

Blog Entries
    lol, just dramatizing for fun and humour

but Seriously, Shehera is doing a swell job!

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

Not gonna need to braib me with lots of choc to make me agree on that one

Though Shehera? Sounds weird, lol.

Blog Entries
    yeah, sherhera does sound a lit odd.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast