View Poll Results: The Stranger

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

9 15.25%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

17 28.81%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

33 55.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stranger ~ Albert Camus

Blog Entries

The Stranger ~ Albert Camus

I brought this book to read while I was away on vaccation and I thought it was excellent. I could really relate to the main character and narator of the story, and this book really spoke to me on a deep level.

The story is about a young man who stands outside of the normal bounds of society, and tended to go through life with a rather apathetic feeling. And tended to be emotionally distant. He ended up getting mixed up in some trouble because of a friend of his, and had to go to trial and during the course of the trail he was crucified because he did not experience things in the way that was considered to be proper and normal, and socially acceptable. As well the fact that he was an atheist shocked and horrified others, and he was painted to look like some sort of inhuman monster. The book was marvelously written, and very provocative

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

It was quite interesting

I have read this book in both Chinese and French, Camus was a great writer indeed, he was far more talented, inspired and skilled than Paul Satre. I think the aim of this weird book may be to proove that a philosophical view towards real life is sure to be beaten. Logic is loved, but doesn't fit human life.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

The Sound of Silence
    I just finished reading The Stranger earlier this evening and I agree, it was very well written, provocative, raised questions of great importance, and involved a character that I could relate to as well. I especially liked the way Camus' writing style differentiated between the first and second parts, shifting from the short, almost mechanical-sounding sentences of the first part to the more fluid and allegorical descriptive writing prevalent in the second. Are there any ideas as to why Camus decided upon this stylistic shift in his writing? It was effective and I applaud his wonderful use of language, however, my understanding is rather elementary. Any ideas?
    "You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward art thou also dead - dead to the World, to Heaven and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself." E.A. Poe

"It is better to be hurt by the truth, than to be comforted by a lie." - Unknown

Extremely well-written, Camus exposes- once again- all the cruelty and hypocricy of society, and how those who "dare" to be different are ruthlessly persecuted and victimised.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by amalia1985 View Post
    Extremely well-written, Camus exposes- once again- all the cruelty and hypocricy of society, and how those who "dare" to be different are ruthlessly persecuted and victimised.
    They should let him go? I am also different, but I haven't killed anyone.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    The guy he shot did stab his friend and than draw a knife on him. A case for self-defense I think could be made here. He did not kill a perfectly innocent civilian in cold blood. The victim here bares some of the guilt for what happened.
    Last edited by Dark Muse; 09-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    The guy he shot did stab his friend and than draw a knife on him. A case for self-defense I think could be made here. He did not kill a perfectly innocent civilian in cold blood. The victim here bares some of the guilt for what happened.
    Exactly, that's my opinion, at least.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    In that moment he didn't made any dangerous acts; it was only blackout in his head. He accused Sun, and that's not the best reason for self defense. Personally, I really like Mersault but he is guilty and had to be punished.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    Even if he is guilty of the crime, which I am not completely convinced that he should have been punished the way he was, when the victim had acted in a way to bring about such an action.

The trial was not truly about the crime itself, and never in the course was the fight mentioned or the fact that the victim had in fact instigated it, or was armed and drew a weapon.

Mersault was not truly punished for his actions. He was punished for not fitting into normal society, and for not perceiving things, or reacting and feeling to things in a way that is considered to be acceptable

im studying this book in literature atm, i really like it.
    its true, he is not punished for his crime, but rather becuase he does not conform to society in the expect mannor.

Blog Entries
    I've wanted to read this book for sometime now, but I couldn't find it anywhere here!
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

I am very surprised that some of you think that he is punished for being socially different or outside of the norm and seem to think that is wrong. It's true he does not conform to society in the expected manner but that expected manner is he murdered a man. That is not just a societal law but a violation of natural law. I don't think Camus wrote this book with any intention of portraying Meursault as innocent. I think he is guilty of the murder and in a deeper sense his lifestyle. An indifferent lifestyle of ignoring distinctions between everything (saying Salamano's dog is just as good as is wife) and living life passively leads to the life of Meursault.

I just don't understand how Meursault's life could be viewed on the whole as a positive?

Blog Entries
    But there were circumstances in the murder. He did not just walk up to someone and shoot them in pure cold blood. The man he shot did stab his friend, and had been looking to get into a fight with them, as well as had pulled a knife upon him before he shot him. But none of that was discussed in the trail. In the trail he was persecuted purely because of how he lived his life.

Though the way he lived his life may not have been "positive" he should not have to live according to the standards of society.

I think considering his crime was not 1st degree murder, and could possibly be viewed as self-defense executing him was an extreme. I am not saying he is completely innocent, but he was persecuted for being abnormal.

I read this thrice, and absolutely loved it each time, finding more and more to take from the novel upon every reading.
    Last edited by Dr. Hill; 11-25-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast