Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fyodor Dostoevsky - Idiot

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I'll post again after I have read a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    Avenge usually means ransom anger and the need to take revenge because one does not know nor understand how to settle differences or even forget or forgive. Is god this avengful character? full of remorse to the point of unforgiveness?
    I see it this way. To avenge is to punish a wrongdoing with the intent of seeing justice done. Revenge is more personal, less concerned with justice and more about retaliation by inflicting harm. To avenge inflicts punishment as an act of retributive justice or as a vindication of propriety: to avenge a murder by bringing the criminal to trial.

In the ending of The Idiot, it seems to me that Prince Myshkin is rehabilitated or, better still, vindicated. Though this world scarcely notices, the Truth prevails, albeit in the most subtle of ways.

Matthew 20:16___So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

As for God: God is love.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    'The Idiot' is one of those wonderful books that impels you to ponder, days and weeks after finishing. I found 'The Idiot' complex but spectacularly unified in that, on long reflection, almost everything makes exquisite sense. And 'exquisite' is no exaggeration because Dostoevsky tells the story with so light a touch that the reader is enchanted by every page.

Years ago I adored 'Brothers Karamazov' and this book is as good or better. So much of the poignantly human is packed into a smaller book.

I’m a third way through ‘Crime and Punishment’ and feel as though I have been tortured. Unlike the breezy Myshkin, Raskalnikov is a lead weight around my neck.

I have found that Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" is eminently re-readable. Regarding pace it is unequal and at times the narrative gets bogged down.Still certain aspects of the theme draw us to it .Also the depth in characterization is fascinating and it grows on us with every fresh reading. I think this is the hallmark of a great work. "The brothers Karamazov " has it in abundance. I read these two books a number of times. However I could not bring myself to read "Crime and Punishment" a second time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234