Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Dumas fans out there?

It's possible that that is not the case, or that the musketeers only have a very small part in it, but it was originally part of The Vicomte de Bragelonne, a book of 1800 pages that spends both time with the musketeers and the court.
    Splitting the story up wasn't a good idea because it takes the continuance in the story away...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

I wouldn't call myself a big fan of Dumas, 'cause I read only one book- Queen Margot. I like it very much, but for me Dumas idealised Margot too much, his vision of her wasn't correct according to the history. But I guess, he had no choice, 'cause he lived in XIX century and he couldn't have written frankly about some things Especially when I compare book with its adaptation- after watching a movie, I thought that the book is quite innocent
    I intend to read something else of Dumas... Maybe Monte Cristo? If only I had more time...

I have just finished The Last Cavalier - Being the Adventures of Count Sainte-Hermine in the Age of Napoleon, or Le Chevalier de Sainte-Hermine( in the origional French)

It is excellent, the first part sets the stage and introduces all the major players( patience is needed for this part as it is quite long and goes into the history of Reveloutionary France in many aspects using actual historical figures in the main roles{including a small part about Dumas own father} and espically deals with Napoleon and the main charcaters family history as well)

The second part gets down to the actual story of the Comte de Sainte-Hermine, also known as Hector( and by a few other names as well as the story progresses),

However it is incomplete as Alexandre Dumas died before he could finish it,

I still recomend this book however.

Blog Entries
    I recently finished reading the d'Artagnan romances - and loved them, although I almost cried towards the end . I've also read The Count of Monte Cristo (which is my favourite Dumas). I've just started The Black Tulip and Sylvandire, and I'm enjoying both

Oh, I cried my eyes out at the end of the Vicomte (The Iron Mask)!
    I so much regretted the end of the trilogy. Never again can I read anything about d'Artagnan, only if I start again...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

As a Dumas fan I can simply advice yo to read all literary works of Dumas.

PS: Read both father and son. They were both master-piece creators.

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Aah, thank you for the explanation!

I worked out that I am reading a copy which is the whole Vicomte, not split up, devided in three volumes, but sold as one book The Vicomte de Bragelonne.
    Kiki;

If "The Vicomte de Bragelonne" in English, would you please tell me publisher's name-publishing year-translator's name and any information that would help me to get the book. It's hard here to find that kind of complete edition.

Thank you.

Fulya
    "Haven't you, then, a fourth companion?"
    "Yes, madame, the Comte de la Fere."
    "What does he ask?"
    "Nothing."
    "There is in the world, then, one man who, having the power to ask, asks - nothing!"
    "There is the Comte de la Fere, madame. The Comte de la Fere is not a man."
    "What is he, then?"
    "The Comte de la Fere is a demigod."

I like all his novels. I admire his talent and skill to make such an interesting plot which never gets exhausted.
    Love doesn't make the world go round,
    love is what makes the ride worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by fulyaoktem View Post
    Kiki;

If "The Vicomte de Bragelonne" in English, would you please tell me publisher's name-publishing year-translator's name and any information that would help me to get the book. It's hard here to find that kind of complete edition.

Thank you.

Fulya
    Take a look on here. There are a few notable (historic) translations and amazon-links. I would prefer a historic translation as it evokes the original style more than one that is contemporary.

http://www.cadytech.com/dumas/work.php?key=348

I hope you find something... Truly great book.

Take a look on here. There are a few notable (historic) translations and amazon-links. I would prefer a historic translation as it evokes the original style more than one that is contemporary.

http://www.cadytech.com/dumas/work.php?key=348

I hope you find something... Truly great book.
    Well, thank you. Hope to read Dumas,pere in French someday
    "Haven't you, then, a fourth companion?"
    "Yes, madame, the Comte de la Fere."
    "What does he ask?"
    "Nothing."
    "There is in the world, then, one man who, having the power to ask, asks - nothing!"
    "There is the Comte de la Fere, madame. The Comte de la Fere is not a man."
    "What is he, then?"
    "The Comte de la Fere is a demigod."

New to the whole posting thing but love, Dumas Three musketeers is my most read book probally read around twenty times catch something new every time now reading the count of wating on twenty years to come in the mail should be a good read.
    However i wanted to know if any one else thought that Cardinal Richelieu pushed the story in the three musketeers further then our heros did, I say with out the bad guys d'Artagnan would have stayed at the Bar

Of course! That's the whole thing about Richelieu. He is the bad guy, but only because he runs the country with a clear vision and that vision clashes with d'Artagnan's and the queen's (although it is probably Buckingham in that case who clashes ).

Later in the trilogy, it is emphasised that d'Artagnan respected Richelieu more than his later boss Mazarin because at least Richelieu was what he seemed: clear and to the point, didn't push d'Artagnan around and respected him too despite having had him against him. Mazarin was a nasty piece of work.

I think, all in all, Richelieu came out of that book in a very upright manner. Ruthless, but at least wi(h a goal.

I love Dumas and what about the second part of the Count of Monte Cristo

Since childhood Dumas father and son have being among my favorite authors.

For example, there is a second part of the Count of Monte Cristo, the title translated into Spanish is La Mano del Muerto ( The Hand of the Death , free translation) I have search for this book in English but so far my search have being useless, it seems there are fewer Dumas' titles in English than in Spanish.

In the second part, the Count of Monte Cristo is abandoned by his friends and allies and he and his family suffers total anihilation .

My opinion of Dantes character have evolved with the passage of time , the first time that I read , The Count of Monte Cristo, I considered him a hero and benefector of the downtroden but sucessive readings and the reading of the second part , The Hand of the Death showed me a much darker and brutal side of Dantes.

He lost a lot moral authority when he shows ruthless and lack of guilty for the downfall of innocents, the family of his enemies , why to be held responsible for the sins of their parents?

he did not seems very moved or guilty that the death toll of innocent like the death of the son of Madame d’Villefor, Edward . Did he feel shock or trouble? Why he did not try hard enough to prevent such death?
    Did he try to prevent Madame d'Villefor from poisoning the Marquises?
    No. In matter of fact , he did not the care the death toll of innocents if such death could be used to his advantage to hurt his enemies?

His behavior remind me that Dantes ' Dumas is a not wholesome character , he opened his heart to the Dark Side , like Darth Vader and he earned the payment for his behavior in the Hand of the Death.
    His enemies show not mercy toward his family who was innocent of his behavior. It sounds like the old Hammaburi Code, an eye for eye and tooth for a tooth.

Isn't about time to stop the hero workship of Dantes, The Count of Monte Cristo and acknowledge his mean spirit , selfish side?

Quote Originally Posted by Madame la Fere View Post
    Hey!!! I am new to the Forums, and thought that I would see how many Alexandre Dumas fans are out there, and if they would care to tell me of any of his books that I might be interested in. I have read The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and I am currently reading Twenty Years After. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Richelieu was not the bad guy

The saga of the Three Musketeer, Twenty years later, the Viscount of Brag

is amazing . Cardinal Richelieu is portrait as the bad guy when in reality Cardinal Richelieu has France interest closer to his heart than
    Queen Anne in the saga. Queen Anne flirting with the enemy , the Duke of Buck. I found reprenhensible . If the Huguenots with the help of the English have won the war , maybe France would have gone through partition and French territories could have become English again .

Lady Winter, is a very evil character , whom I dislike a lot but she was working for Richelieu who was promoting French interests.

[/I]

Of course! That's the whole thing about Richelieu. He is the bad guy, but only because he runs the country with a clear vision and that vision clashes with d'Artagnan's and the queen's (although it is probably Buckingham in that case who clashes ).

Later in the trilogy, it is emphasised that d'Artagnan respected Richelieu more than his later boss Mazarin because at least Richelieu was what he seemed: clear and to the point, didn't push d'Artagnan around and respected him too despite having had him against him. Mazarin was a nasty piece of work.

I think, all in all, Richelieu came out of that book in a very upright manner. Ruthless, but at least wi(h a goal.

d'Artagnan choose the Crown over friendship

The Friendship of Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artagnan seems
    so closed and so fraternal but in the saga

politics force the friends to choose,

Aramis became the boss of the Jesuits and his interest clashed with the ones of D'Artagnan, Porthos died siding with Aramis
    and Athos sacrificed his family happines putting first his loyalty to the Crown

And D'Artagnan when pull comes to shovel, choose over his dearest and closest friends

the service to the Crown .

Aramis is the only one who survive at the end

What kind of picture ? Dumas like many of his fellow writers of such period
    were very complex and force characters into very challenging choices

If you ever read the Miserables ?

By the way? How many people today will choose political alliance over
    close knit friendships? like the Musketeers did ?

Quote Originally Posted by HenryIV View Post
    For example, there is a second part of the Count of Monte Cristo, the title translated into Spanish is La Mano del Muerto ( The Hand of the Death , free translation) I have search for this book in English but so far my search have being useless, it seems there are fewer Dumas' titles in English than in Spanish.
    There have been a few sequels to Count of Monte Cristo, but none were written by Dumas. The one you're looking for (original title: A Mão do Finado) was written by by Alberto Hogan. Acccording to Conrad Cady, it was published in French and its original Portugese. Given that it's an unofficial third-party sequel from 1853, you may have to find a copy in one of those languages and translate it yourself.

Good Dumas reference website: http://www.cadytech.com/dumas/
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast