Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Dumas fans out there?

The Game's Afoot!! Madame la Fere's Avatar

Any Dumas fans out there?

Hey!!! I am new to the Forums, and thought that I would see how many Alexandre Dumas fans are out there, and if they would care to tell me of any of his books that I might be interested in. I have read The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, and I am currently reading Twenty Years After. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    ~*Live your life so the preacher won't have to lie at your funeral*~

I am a big fan of Alexandre Dumas and I recommend you to read " The Black Tulip" its a very interesting story with romance , action and drama, its a beautiful work.
    My friend, I am not what I seem. Seeming is but a garment I wear—a care-woven garment that protects me from thy questionings and thee from my negligence.I would not have thee believe in what I say nor trust in what I do—for my words are naught but thy own thoughts in sound and my deeds thy own hopes in action.

Khalil Gibran

I can't say I'm a huge Dumas fan, but I did enjoy The black tulip!

I'm trying to finish The count of Monte Cristo but it's going rather slowly...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for the advice!! I have heard that the Black Tulip is good, and plan on reading it as soon as I am through with my current novel.

Quote Originally Posted by vheissu View Post
    I can't say I'm a huge Dumas fan, but I did enjoy The black tulip!

I'm trying to finish The count of Monte Cristo but it's going rather slowly...
    The count Of monte Cristo is also a great novel maybe its going slowly now but its really an interesting story.
    My friend, I am not what I seem. Seeming is but a garment I wear—a care-woven garment that protects me from thy questionings and thee from my negligence.I would not have thee believe in what I say nor trust in what I do—for my words are naught but thy own thoughts in sound and my deeds thy own hopes in action.

Khalil Gibran

Georges!

I have just read an amazing, unknown work by Dumas. It is called Georges! It is a very short piece written one year before the THree musketeers and The Comte de Monte Cristo. Even for those of you who may not be enthralled with Dumas, you will love this book. I could not put it down. It is full of the drama, romance, suspence and action he is known for and is his only work about race.
    If you want to be transported, read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Dumas. I originally started with The Count of Monte Cristo then moved onto the Three Musketeers. I recommend all books by Dumas, because he can really tell a story. I have never read The Black Tulip before. Is it a good read?

I found that with the Count of Monte Cristo, even though it was very long, its easy to read style made it a very good and surprisingly quick (for its size) read.

I have finished The Three Musketeers, and i am now reading Twenty Years After, but it is going rather slowly... has any one else read it who can tell me if it is worth finishing or not? Thanks a bunch!

Nope.. haven't read Twenty Years After.. .but read Monte Cristo. Througholy enjoyed the book. Is Twenty Years After a sequel? or a completely separate story?
    Silence is golden. But in the absence of silence, classical music is the avenue which chaos is turned into harmonious order.

Yes... I am THIS weird

Finish it!!!! Totally worth it.

And it is indeed a sequel but not to Monte Cristo. It is to The Three Musketeers.

I started with Monte Cristo and can't get enough of him... Great writer.

I did find Twenty Years After very slow, but I still wanted to finish it because Dumas always keeps a surprise to the end. Very compelling, that.
    I do find Bragelonne miuch better and more Dumas-like. It does spend a ot of time at the court, but at the same time his characters and his plot are much ore exciting than Twenty Years After...

Can anyone tell me how the musketeerbooks fit together?

The three Musketeers, is the first one, then follows Twenty Years After and then The Vicomte de Bragelonne, but what with Ten Years After and The Man in the Iron Mask. I thought they are musketeer stories too, but how do they fit in the trilogy? Or are they just stories apart from it because Dumas couldn't get enough of d'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos and Aramis?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Common Question

The answer is a slightly complex one. Technically, The Vicomte de Bragelonne is the only sequel to Twenty Years After. However, virtually no one publishes Vicomte as one big monster book. So it is divided in various ways by various publishers. Some split the whole series into 5 and go in this order:

3 Musketeers
    Twenty Years After
    Vicomte De Bragelonne
    Louise De Valliere
    Man in the Iron Mask

others split it up differently with one grouping of chapters of Bragelonne called Ten Years Later

Other Dumas books cover parts of the same historical period but have different characters. These include The Women's War and Sylvandire.

Aah, thank you for the explanation!

I worked out that I am reading a copy which is the whole Vicomte, not split up, devided in three volumes, but sold as one book The Vicomte de Bragelonne.

Sad, though. I hoped to be able to read more about the musketeers, but on the other hand wondered what Dumas was going to do after what he did to Porthos. (will not say more)

Strange that they divide it up, as it is written as one story. Now I can better understand the comments in the section Vicomte here.

see you.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Last edited by samah; 10-19-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast