View Poll Results: Do you like Harry Potter?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

163 77.99%
  • No

46 22.01%
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter

Bit better then Eragon?!?!

Comm'on. Eragon is to Harry Potter what Earth is to Universe.

Hi I'm new and I must say that the Harry Potter series is truely entertaining, we all need to get away from reality on occasion, and that's what these book do
    Blessings
    Welshwiccan xxx
    Visit my website http://www.minervapendragon.com

I've read some of the Potter books and they were okay. Eragon on the other hand was much better in my opinion. If you're looking for some fantasy books though I think the series is called Narnia. They're good books, but they're light reading.
    currently in my world of insanity and randomism

The world of Harry Potter is easier to understand cause it explains things from a "real" human boy's point of view from the "real" world. Eragon, on the other hand, is a little bit hard to follow at the beginning, and it simplies several concepts (e.g. mind-reading). I find it hard to believe that Eragon just can do it.
    Last edited by ihaveaheadache; 01-17-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Monarch of Holy Imperium Levenbreech Vor's Avatar

Harry Potter

Although Harry Potter is a nice, quick, entertaining read, I was wondering whether anybody on this forum shares my view that it is incredibly overrated.

Harry Potter is the bestselling book in history, better then great literary classics, suspenseful mystery novels, and in-depth sci-fi and fantasy worlds. WHY? J.K. Rowling's characters are poorly developed, the plots are full of annoying angst, the villains are cliché, and the writing style is childish.

I have often, on other message boards, expressed by views on Harry Potter and was shunned. I was hoping that on a forum full of well versed, literate people, I could find someone that would agree with me.

Whether or not you agree with me, tell me your views on Harry Potter.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear - From Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series

Blog Entries
    I agree, the series is seriously overhyped. It isnot that great, and towards the end of the series becomes whiney, irritating, plain frustrating and generally stupid.

Personally I think the books are escapist, masochistic, books for those who enjoy self-pity.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

HP series is great and specially its characters are very developed and engage me....
    A very nice series. It was the first novel I read at late night because I did not want to leave it for a "tomorrow"
    It made me love the books although its my not favourite boom right now but I do agree that its a very good novel, indeed.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

What you have to remember is that Harry Potter turned a generation that would rather sit in front of a TV for hours on end to play video games into a generation that has read 6 novels (some extemely long) and are waiting paitiently for the seventh. Harry turned a large part of the population that would otherwise never have read a book into avid readers. For that, we must salute him.
    Maybe the plot isn't the best sometimes. Rowling's writing isn't the best out there, but it has done wonders for literacy.

I personally dislike the Harry Potter books- but I know so many adults and children who read these novels that would never normally pick up a magazine, let alone a 100 page book. I have to give the author support for this- Harry Potter or Charles Dickens- It's all about reading something, and perhaps Harry Potter will lead to reading more.

Monarch of Holy Imperium Levenbreech Vor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byucougs
    Harry turned a large part of the population that would otherwise never have read a book into avid readers. For that, we must salute him.
    Ahhh...

The typical argument in favor of Harry Potter: "Anything that make people read is good."

But is reading Harry Potter really any better then watching TV?

Harry Potter books don't add anything to people. They don't have good vocabulary, they don't teach good writing, and they don't improve peoples intelligence.

I am all for reading and think it is incredibly sad that TV is taking books place, but it not like someone that reads Harry Potter is next going to read Great Expectations.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear - From Frank Herbert's Dune Book Series

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    The Harry Potter books are not great literature, but J. K. Rowling is a good writer, who created good round characters, plots that follow logical patterns (if you accept the premises), and used universal themes. They are aimed at an audience from about 9 to 18, and for literature aimed at that audience the Harry Potter books are great. I don't know what books have popular with that audience in the recent past, but most such things from past times were much shallower and the characters were not as well developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenbreech Vor
    Ahhh...

The typical argument in favor of Harry Potter: "Anything that make people read is good."

Harry Potter books don't add anything to people. They don't have good vocabulary, they don't teach good writing, and they don't improve peoples intelligence.

I am all for reading and think it is incredibly sad that TV is taking books place, but it not like someone that reads Harry Potter is next going to read Great Expectations.

I like to think of HP as a "gateway" book. HP made it cool to read, and perhaps someone who would have never picked up a book before will continue reading because of it..

When I was younger I spent the week at my cousins, they thought there was something wrong with me, that I actually wasn't feeling well because I wanted to stay in and read (it was a star wars book) instead of going to the neighbors house. Reading was not something cool kids did.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Well i do not consider the books to be literature in its true essence, i'll give the writer some credit because she created a good formula, or she got really lucky. But still it's not that good at all, and very unoriginal. It is a children's book when you come down ,ll, and i guess thats why it has become immensly popular. since the larger number of readers are children. But sadly, i would prefer it if people read something more in the lines of Neil Gaiman, but then again thats not for children.
    (look up his "Books of Magic" for a surprise) The Harry Potter series are good books, but that all they are; once the younger generation gets older i hope they'll realize that. But then again you never know.(oh and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092115/
    for another surprise, scroll down to cast list)

You know, I have noticed that a lot of people read Harry Potter because their friends do. I think liking Harry Potter is more of "cool" thing than actually something that people enjoy. A lot of kids I know own the books because they got made fun of for not, but they don't actually read them. They just go see the movies. More adults seem to like Harry Potter than children, I think it just got blown way out of proportion. I refuse to get bought into it, I did read the first book, but I borrowed it. I just think that it has got too big for its breeches and there are a lot better things to read. A lot of the sales, too, could be because parents think that every child would love to read it because there friends child has it, so they buy them for them. That's what I think a lot of Harry Potter is, a popularity ploy.
    "Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."

avatar by John Pickman Wendigo_49's Avatar
    yes (subjective opinion)

Depends on what your watching. I have never read Harry Potter so I will not comment on it. I do however think TV can be beneficial. I liked to watch the Discovery, Learning, and History channel before they all got on the kick of every show has to involve an automobile of some type. I also loved Mr. Wizard and got up every school day at 6:30 am to watch it then go back to sleep before school started at 9:30 am.

I don't know about the first two since i've never read Ms. Rowling's books. I do however think that they can improve a kid's intelligence. I think that the first Harry Potter book was about the sorcerer's stone which is something like the philosopher's stone? If true read on if not just go to the next question. When I was around four or five my mom bought a 7 book encyclopedia set from a salesman with each book being a different color. In this set were 2 I especially liked, the purple which was the history of America and the green which was basically a science book from Archimedes and Pythagoras theorem to why your brain and senses are kind of like a computer and equipment (videocamera are your eyes, microphones are your ears). My favorite story in the green book was a story about alchemists an the hunt for the philosopher's stone. I made my mom read it to me every night and soon I was reading it to her. At eight after reading how chemistry is modern day alchemy I decide to get Asimov's inside the atom out of the school library. That book and the green science book has spurred me to learn everything I can in any science related field. That is how books like the Harry Potter series could improve a kid's intelligence.

No they probably will not read Great Expectations next but maybe farther down the road they will not be intimidated by such a novel
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

Hermann Hesse
    Demian

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast