Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friedrich Melchior Grimm (revisited)

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Kokorinov

Having revealed “Concino’s secret”-his specific link to French royalty- it would be unfair not to do the same with the Romanovs….

…. the same, that is, as our hero did, following his ancestor's example!

We saw him earlier (Poe Announcement) appearing as “russian navy officer Saltycov” experimenting with “flax” early 1770 in Venice....

…just five years after….

Sergei Saltycof (Catherine II’s first lover, still rumored to have fathered Pavel (Paul) I Petrovich of Russia, born October 1 [O.S. September 20] 1754), Emperor of Russia between 1796-1801, assassinated March 11, 1801)….

…passed, allegedly, away, 1765!

To the tune of “Fiddlesticks” we’ll now reinvestigate "them" (Grimm-Cocchi-Cochin-Chastellux-Strogonov-Saint Germain-Saltycof…ETC(!) ) focusing on “their” early 1754 whereabouts and particular talents inherited from “their” common father, doctor Antonio Cocchi (+1758)!

Insemination does not much differ from inoculation afterall, at least that’s what they believed at the time, and in some cases, on doctor's recomendation, both were performed simultaneoulsy.

That's how Paul I came to life......allegedly!
    Last edited by yanni; 08-05-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: text

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Quoting Diderot......

...a pair of small testicles accompanies our every move...

The rest is history....

….the wedding took place on August 21, 1745 in the Cathedral of Kazan. It was at this time that Catherine, who had never felt more isolated, wrote: "I should have loved my new husband, if only he had been willing or able to be in the least lovable. But in the first days of my marriage, I made some cruel reflections about him. I said to myself: If you love this man, you will be the most wretched creature on Earth. Watch your step, so far as affection for this gentleman is concerned, think of yourself, Madame." The young couple settled down, but the marriage was a miserable failure. Catherine was disappointed with her marriage, but decided to stick it out and concentrate on building herself a powerful group of allies. Catherine occupied herself with reading everything she could lay her hands on. She discovered satisfaction in the works of Plato and Voltaire. Her interest in the intellect caused an even greater distance between Peter and herself. The years passed and there was still no heir in sight. This of course irritated the Empress who wanted to secure a powerful dynasty, and could not do so without the presence of a male heir. She thought it must be Catherine's fault because she was not attracted to her husband. However, it was Peter that was not able to produce a male son, so Elizabeth permitted an affair between Catherine and a Russian military officer named Serge Saltykov. Catherine finally gave birth to a son, whom the Empress named Paul, on September 20, 1754. Peter accepted it as his own.http://www.dreamessays.com/customess...ition/3899.htm

(Dr. Thomas Dimsdale)…..In the year of 1763 Catherine had founded Russia's first College of Medicine, consisting of a director, a president and eight members.

1764 M. le chevalier de Chastellux a fait imprimer de Nouveaux Éclaircissements sur l’inoculation(48)

the day of Catherine's smallpox vaccination became a national feast day.
    http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/grhc/h...catherine.html

Bet you -russian historian-that such national feast took place late January, early February each year!
    Last edited by yanni; 08-05-2008 at 12:40 PM.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Coffee break….

…preferably “Capuccino”!

You have followed my travels to the past with patience, dear reader, and therefore do rethank and recompliment you:

Ours was anything but an “easy story”, the continuous addition of “new characters” a true nightmare for you as well as myself.

It’s not over, more of Saint Germain’s “Russian” aliases will appear shortly, I did warn you in previous but perhaps I shouldn’t have: You are accustomed by now, or even before that, you are perhaps, in some areas, more accustomed, better trained, more aware of “my” story, of what’s to come, than I am.

Let me just reflect on what my purpose is, what this is and where it’s going:

Borrowing from the words of a sculptor: “The form is in the stone, my job is to free it”.

We are, together, doing just that, trying to “free” an artistic form, the creation of a talented artist, from the “stone” surrounding it, truth’s veil.

It’s his “form” that leads us from the beginning, when our emotions, beliefs, fixations prevailed, we erred, we learned that, we must follow, we learned that too!

Consequently my only own “art”, if any, is to share such experience with you, be sincere and imaginative while doing it, make you feel my frustrations and disappointments, my joy and mirth, my emotions, reveal to you my way of thinking, trouble you with my faults!

We are about to beginn researching the two historical events that determined, as we recently discovered, our artist’s life, two historic murders, those of Peter III in 1762 and Paul I 1801, emperors of Russia, both practically “unsolved” historically,

The great obstacle of time, making our efforts to interpret people’s actions and events almost impossible, must be overcome together with “our”-my-limitations:

The more we approach our subject, the more we try to “be with” him, the more we realize the distance separating him from us, his talents, intelligence, immense overall power comparing so unfavourably to ours as to make us constantly aware of our smallness and foolishness to undertake such an endeavour.

To my motives for this research, explained already in “Poe Announcement”, Saint Germain’s long “eastern” presence must be added:

Michel Pierre Cochini*(see note), my “French” ancestor- who, among others commemorated Cosziusco(!) on the Missolonghi towers he built-had come from Bucarest, where he taught “sciences” till 1822 in the greek school there.

So, hang on, reader, you’ll be the first to know of my next revelations soon as I can put them in writing.

*In the meantime, architect "Petr Nik. K." has been discovered renovating Moscau around 1776-1782. He is, most propably, the father of engineer Michel Pierre. "Petr" was, most propably, the son of "Nicholas Saltykov" (ie St Germain-Cocchi-Cochin, also known as "Nicolas Bricaire de la Dixmerie", orator of the "Nine Sisters", Russia being the tenth "sister" or "part" -"merie"=μέρος, μεριά grk, "Bricaire"=bricklayer, see http://forum.wordreference.com/showt...15#post5787715. Also see : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-A...e#cite_note-5: Mme Dangeville was "similarly" favoured by "Grimm" and "Dixmerie" both, 1762-65).
    Last edited by yanni; 10-25-2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: La Dixmerie

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    whole message
    Last edited by yanni; 08-10-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: delete

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

What was Saint Germain’s involvement in Peter III’s dethronement and...

...subsequent assasination?

Part 1

Medici Florence dying in Gian Gastone's degeneration, some members of the Cocchi family remained in Tuscany under the Austrian regime, like Antonio Cocchi, whereas others moved to neighbouring Kingdoms of-today’s-Italy under Bourbon control or sought and found positions in other European courts.

Such was apparently the case with…

Samuel Freiherr von Cocceji..(October 20, 1679 – October 4, 1755) was a German official who…lead the legal reorganization of annexed Silesia…subsequently reformed the legal system of all of Prussia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_von_Cocceji

Samuel was therefore very close to….

...Frederick “the Great” whose father …Frederick William considered executing Frederick and made him watch the execution of his lover, Hans von Katie. This did not deter Frederick from taking his military tutor, Count von Keyserling, as a lifelong lover. http://backgroundcheckofwhiteman.blogspot.com/

…so close in fact as to provide not just a cover for his absolutely essential “virility”- thorugh the myth of Frederick falling in love with La Barberina, who allegedly then run away with her other lover, Samuel's own son “Carl Ludwig von Cocceji” in 1749 etc -but also to provide a doctor for his sexual dysfunction.

This doctor was a non-german certainly, why would otherwise Frederick physician, Johann Georg Ritter von Zimmermann- who dismissed the rumors of his patients homosexuality as untrue-later claim that “his genitalia were harmed by a cruel surgical operation to save his life from an unnamed venereal disease.”?

This doctor could only have been Antonio Cocchi*(Note 1 below), expert in this field as testified-allegedly-by many Venetian castrati, Horatio Walpole and not only:

Sometime after the treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle (October 18, 1748), when Empress Elizabeth of Russia- through Betzutzev- had time and money to spare and had…

....isolated the King of Prussia by forcing him into hostile(!) alliances....She also spent exorbitant sums of money on the grandiose baroque projects of her favourite architect, Bartolomeo Rastrelli*Note 2, particularly in Peterhof and Tsarskoye Selo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_of_Russia....

Only then did Elizabeth decide to "do something" for her nephew Peter whose marriage with Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst (future Catherine II the Great) was not going too well in view of both a sexual dysfunction on his part as well as his particular fondness for Elizabeth's new enemy, Frederick of Prussia, our previous “patient”!

In those “c o c k &bull” times, who did she consider calling to solve her problem?

Who else but her enemy’s own doctor, moreover a Cocchi or Cocceji-(pronounced kok-'tse-yi (!), quoting german wikipedia.)

As such, the first online "kok-'tse-yi" Russian presence is that of…

Alessandro Cocchi (mosaic);Luigi Valadier (frame)Smalto Roman mosaic; frame from gilded bronzehttp://www.hermitagemuseum.com/html_...3_4_7_0_5.html

Both artists came from Rome. Excepting his Russian interval-if he drew Elizabeth's “cartoon” himself as well-Al.Cocchi was a full time mosaic artist of the Vatican and so was his father Filippo. (http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/A...&Martinian.htm
    http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/D...Chronology.htm)

*Note1 : Voltaire’s 1753 anonymous publication of "The Private Life of the King of Prussia, wittily claiming Frederick's homosexuality" is on its own a strong indication of his attachment to Cocchi eversince. Voltaire had previously personaly exploited-allegedly-somehow(!)Frederick’s “dysfunction”!

Note 2: Rastrelli designed and built Stroganov Palace in 1753 in Peterhof!
    Last edited by yanni; 08-09-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: title and text

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

A bull without his horns….

Part II

The correspondence between Frederick and Voltaire, which spanned almost 50 years, was marked by mutual intellectual fascination and homoeroticism

….is still dangerous, so say the experts….

Frederick of Prussia must have been really infuriated when Voltaire, whom he asked in 1750 to come to live with him in Sanssouci….

At Sanssouci Frederick entertained his most privileged guests, especially the French philosopher Voltaire.

…..attacked him-as instructed-below the belt in 1753-at the time future Peter III of Russia had his surgical operation as well!

Our aim is to solve Peter III’ 1762 murder, as stated.

Convinced that the motiv of such murder was Cocchi’s “Romanov inoculation- insemination”, a highly political penetration that led to the Seven Year War (1756-1762) ending with said murder (and subsequent reconciliation between Russia, France and Prussia at the expense of Austria loosing Poland and Lorraine) , our focus must be both to examine our timeline in detail (Cocchi’s relative early 1754 Russian presence) and to justify-explain the actions of the main players.

Frederick’s “Cocceji myth” is, moreover, of further interest to us who claim to have solved Saint Germain’s mystery a part of which was his alleged german origins!

We continue therefore reeinstating Frederick’s-imaginary- “Coccejis”;

Frederick had Carl Ludwig von Cocceji “married” to Barberina in 1749 to then displace –or even imprison for 18 months-his rival to Silesia as the region’s “president”…..
    http://news.free-adio.de/index.php/h...ge=1&paged=168

…while, according to historian Laurenz Demps, Carl Ludwig- or perhaps Barb. Campanini who stayed behind for a short while-purchased a house in Wilhelmstrasse 76, Berlin, February 29th 1753*(Note below).

This must have happened while his alleged father, Samuel Freiherr von Cocceji, after his legal reorganization of annexed Silesia… was busy…reformed the legal system of all of Prussia.

Samuel unfortunately died-very-soon after, October 4, 1755 and son Carl Ludwig is nowhere to be found eversince on the web….

….while, shortly after -and by pure coincidence- Augustin Henry Cochin- his first appearance in Paris, France by this name-is getting married, 1756, said to be the son of...

Henry Cochin~. A brilliant lawyer and writer of Paris, 1687-1747

(Brilliant enough to have written his first study at the age of 8?
    Juris Publici Prudentia compendio exhibita: quo materiae eius, praecipuaeque hactenus agitatae controversiae ab sua origine ac fonte du****ur, facilique ratione exponuntur & demonstrantur. / Cocceji, Heinrich von . Frankfurt a. d. Oder, 1695 see wikipedia: Heinrich Freiherr von Cocceji (Aussprache: kok'tse:ji, * 25. März 1644 in Bremen; † 18. August 1719 in Frankfurt (Oder) war Professor für Natur- und Völkerrecht an der Universität in Heidelberg). The article traces Cocceji's roots to the usual culprits, thus a "Coch"-father of Heinrich-is married to a noble german lady with progressive ideas!! Not surprisingly, Melchior Grimm's mother "was" a "Coch" as well!!)

Henry Cochin moreover was praised by Voltaire in his works!

Note: Diderot:AU PETIT PROPHÈTE DE BOEHMISCHBRODA A Paris, ce 21 février 1753.AU GRAND PROPHÈTE MONET,A TOUS CEUX QUI LES ONT PRÉCÉDÉS, ET SUIVIS ET A TOUS CEUX QUI LES SUIVRONT.SALUT
    Last edited by yanni; 08-14-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: heinrich

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Intermediate conclusions

Part 3

Having hopefully depicted conditions leading to 1754(described elsewhere as ….1754. Beginning of the Refusal of Sacraments Controversy (to 1756) *see Note1 below )…

…it’s time to list our intermediate decisions-conclusions:

Firstly, we are quite convinced of the futility to keep on trying to find our hero in german history sources as well!*Note 2

Secondly: Behind Voltaire and Cocchi (and Diderot and Rousseau-see next post-apparently also joining in at the time) and their relative actions, the French royal foreign policy is evident*Note 3

Note 1 The Grand Remonstrances of April 1753 re the Fundamental Laws of the realm, led to Louis XV's refusal. The following strike by the magistrates resulted to the exile of the Parlement, to the arrest of its least temperate members, and to its replacement by the Chambre royale du Louvre.

Note 2 Frederick finally came to terms with his “Coccejis” -or lack of- following the Seven year War(Frédéric à la duchesse de Saxe-Gotha, Berlin, 26 mai 1763: He knows about Grimm’s work but has been “informed” that Grimm was born in “Gera” -Thuringia, E Germany, on the White Elster River.Evidently Grimm's Gotha provenance is a later creation)

Note 3
    a) Note 1 above.
    b) Our hero, as Stroganov building his Peterhof Palace 1753 and buying property in Berlin at the same time, is clearly representing France.
    c) Frederick did not just loose Voltaire’s friendship in 1753 but that of his count-1740-Algarotti as well who decided in same year, 1753, to return to Italy and conform to Cocchi’s definition of Opera (Saggio sopra l’opera in musica (1755). In this influential work, Algarotti proposed that all of the elements in opera be subordinated to a unifying poetic idea)
    d)Grimm's "correspondance litteraire" commencing 1753.
    Last edited by yanni; 08-12-2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: form

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Rerecap-timeline

Below my last version of a timeline, 1752-1754, abbreviated.

In 1752 Gluck was in Naples, where he had been called to compose an opera for the Teatro San Carlo. Although it was not originally intended for him, the libretto he decided to set was Metastasio’s La clemenza di Tito.

(February) Friedrich Melchior Grimm's pamphlet “Lettre sur Omphale” (1752).

Am 29. Februar 1752 kaufte, laut Eintrag im Grundbuch, der preußische Gesandte Freiherr Carl Ludwig von Cocceji das Anwesen Wilhelmstraße 76.

1752 (May). Encyclopedia thanks to Malesherbes and Madame de Pompadour, the government discreetly authorizes Diderot and d'Alembert to resume their work.

September 1752 Carl Ludwig Cocceji is ordered to go to Glogau as president of Silesia.( Die Tagebücher des Grafen Lehndorff, p40)

October Rousseau's "Devin" on stage in Paris with Marie Fell in the role of Colette.

(November). La Querelle des bouffons, pitting proponents of traditional French opera against the supporters of Italian opera buffa, begins to claim public attention.

1752 in Paris. Le petit prophète de Boehmisch-Broda die italienische Oper. Grimms Begeisterung für die italienische Kunst bei Marie Fell zu suchen ist.

Gioacchino Cocchi’s. La maestra (performed in Paris as La scaltra governatrice 25. Jan. 1753 Paris, Académie de musique)

Letter Ferdinando Galiani to Antonio Cocchi, 20 February 1753, published in Franco Venturi, ‘Alle origini dell’illuminismo napoletano’, pp. 452–454.

ce 21 février 1753 Diderot:AU PETIT PROPHÈTE DE BOEHMISCHBRODA, Paris, AU GRAND PROPHÈTE MONET,A TOUS CEUX QUI LES ONT PRÉCÉDÉS, ET SUIVISET A TOUS CEUX QUI LES SUIVRONT.SALUT

Diderot Pensées sur l'interprétation de la nature (1753)

4 Mars 1753 "Devin de Village" de Jean Jacques Rousseau repeated at “Bellevue” theatre with Mme De Pompadour in the role of Colin. Invitations drawn by Charles Nicholas Cochin. (http://www.madamedepompadour.com/_fr...ro/invtmme.htm)

Mar 25, Voltaire leaves the court of Frederik II of Prussia.

May 9, King Louis XV disbands the French parliament.

May 25th, Collini assists imprisoned Voltaire in Frankfurt.

May 29, Dupin junior born by Luise d’Epinay (She leaves La Chevrette soon after and "séjourne de 1754 à 1756 dans une maison de la rue du Mont)

June 23, Grimm writes to Gottshed favourably commenting on the “Devin” (W. A. Mozart By Hermann Abert, Stewart Spencer, Cliff Eisen, p 96)

Paris, 21st October, 1753. D’Alembert writes to Mme Du Deffand defending a “mademoiselle Rousseau” who she apparently dislikes. (Diderot in his turn also speaks of "his fostermother", a "madame Rousseau".)

1753, October 30, Carl Ludwig Cocceji arrives in Berlin together with the author’s brother incognito and without guard. (Die Tagebücher des Grafen Lehndorff,p137)

Rousseau's "Lettre sur la musique française," published in November 1753.

The Private Life of the King of Prussia, by Voltaire

December 17th,G.Cocchi’s “Gli amanti gelosi” was performed in Londra (King ‘s Theatre)

Venelle's territory in La Provence, (reaching the sea front, with Entremont at its center, some 3 km from Aix) belonged from 1753 up to the revolution to the Caussini family

Beginning of the Refusal of Sacraments Controversy (to 1756).

Dr. Ant. Cocchi’s “Chirurgici Veteres,” a very curious work, containing numerous valuable extracts from the Greek physicians.

Mlle de Lespinasse arrived in Paris only in the spring of 1754 to begin her apprenticeship in Mme du Deffand's salon;

Pavel Petrovich born October 1 [O.S. September 20] 1754, Emperor of Russia between 1796 and 1801.

The Empress sent Saltikov to the Swedish court at the end of September 1754.

On November 11,1754 Voltaire, Collini, Madame Denis, a lady's maid, and a servant left Colmar to visit the Duke of Richelieu at Lyons.

mme D’Epinay:”séjourne de 1754 à 1756 dans une maison de la rue du Mont”

On December 10, 1754, Voltaire, Madame Denis and Collini leave Lyons for Geneva which they reach December 13.

December 1754 Grimm comments in his Correspondance littéraire on Anthony
    Collins’s “A Philosophical Inquiry concerning Human Liberty and Necessity

Many of G.Cocchi’s works on stage in Italy this year.

The reader is kindly requested to supply any additional information on Grimm-Cocchi-Saint Germain etc whereabouts for January 1754 in particular!
    Last edited by yanni; 04-13-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add data on Rousseau and D'Epinay-L'Espinasse

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Dupin-Lespinasse

part IV

Let me tell you, dear reader, why this story appears stuck to the specific period 1752-54, and doesn’t move on to solve Peter III’s 1762 assassination as intended:

The previous timeline has strengthened our previous assumptions that

a) Dupin de Franceuil was another alias of Saint Germain and
    b) Mme d’Epinay and Mle Lespinasse were one and the same.

…and we must do something about it:

Leaving aside Simone de Beauvoir’s roots(see "Story of My Life By George Sand, Thelma Jurgrau" which confirms, more or less, that "Dupin" was Cocchi-Saint Germain-through the strange violinist "Gavinies" of 1794) what really interests us is the early 1778 marriage of “de Franceuil” with Aurore du Saxe in London…

Why would our hero (obviously very high in Louis’s “Secret du Roi” service) visit London at such critical time and….

…why is there such a confusion with regard to the exact month this marriage took place?

You see, whereas the Wikipedia lot wants our hero Dupin be married….

Marie-Aurore de Saxe…se remaria le 14 juin 1777 à Londres avec Charles Louis Dupin de Francueil (1716-1780).

…other sources insist….

Marie Aurore de Saxe,Demoiselle de Venieres….Married (2) January 1777 London Louis Claude Dupin de Franceuil, son of Claude…. (http://artemis.austincollege.edu/aca...home/dupin.htm)

Checking our own timeline for the period*(see note), we find that Wikipedia’s date is wrong (Claude Louis de Saint Germain was hosting von Steuben at the time to then leave Paris as Grimm -he is still ministre de guerre of France- and travel to Sweden and Russia) whereas the other version of the marriage is feasible (Augustine Henry’s Cochin d’Epinay data show him missing)…

…as such…

Both our assumptions as above are evidently true and…

We’ll have to return to the subject of his London visit in later posts!

*Note

October 1776 Necker was made director-general of the finances

(1776. Le 9 octobre) Minister comte Saint Germain thrashes a vineyard watchman who caught him stealing grapes from the royal vines near Epinay sur Orge .

15/10/76 at Epinay AHC baptises a child

January 1777 two “Cochin” registrations at Epinay regarding domestic help of Cochin without his presence. No other entries for the whole year. He is absent !

Early 1777 CNCochin draws Benjamin Franklin’s fur cup portrait.

20th February -19th May 1777 The Scottish Philosophy rite abolishes nobility priviliges to its members while in France the Grand Orient approves «St. Charles of Triumph and Perfect Harmony of St. Alexander of Scotland” (“Contrat sociale”) while...
    Marie Antoinette is trying hard to consummate her marriage!
    Last edited by yanni; 11-06-2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: correct "Devinier" to "Gavinies"

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Dupin de Franceuil as another alias of Saint Germain!

part V

After Saint Germain’s London presence in 1745, the large number of opera performances by Gioachino Cocchi 1749-1752 and Charles Nicholas Cochin (fils)'s italian trip with de Marigny, Mme Pombadour's brother, Dec 1749 to Sept 1751, all point to G.Cocchi’s rising star in “Secret du Roi” eversince.

The assumption he used his theatrical talent to disguise himself behind different names and appearances-the fact not bypassed by Rousseau who observed he (Grimm) was always making himself up (wore a whig, used face powder and spend a lot of time doing it) while at La Chevrette-is therefore solid unlike Mme d’Epinay’s myth of Memoires: As his trusted associate and lover, mother of two of his children, she had every reason to protect him and also mimic him (as Lespinasse) and so did Saint Germain's French “inheritors” who continued and expanded his myth by creating the biographies of each of his aliases that are now in encyclopedias and on the web . They did have the power and the interest to do so.

If perhaps the last post was no real and concrete evidence thereof, if the lie of the Dupin-de Saxe marriage in June instead of January 1777- and his London business at the time-does not constitute evidence of Dupin’s “Saint Germain” identity , then perhaps the following bit of info will be so and will do so:

In a footnote to letter No 6 to "Ajax", undated but from the beginning of 1777, Weishaupt writes: "I will go to Munich before the carnival, and will be received in the famous Freymaurer Orden (Order of F∴ M∴). Ne timeas. Our business is in good way; we learn how to know a new nexus (bond, secrecy) and we will become thus reliquis fortiores (stronger than the others). " This would be sometime before 12 February 1777. Cited in La Conjuration des Illuminés, Henry Coston. Paris: Henry Coston, 1979. pp. xxxvii-xxxviii. Pb. 304 pp.

Massenhausen, Count Hertel Poltroon Mandl ("Ajax") (treasurer)
    (Same site wants Saint Germain as member) http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/illumnas.htm

In other words an agreement of “wide concern” and implications was reached at the time in the higher echelons of Masonry. Saint Germain may have been a part thereof (or he might have just visited London to get hold of Walpole art collection for Catherine) but if so, he disagreed (as his change of course thereafter indicates: Even if he did assist USA 1781-1782 as Chastellux, he personaly remained true to his “enlightened monarchy” ways and customs and increased his visits to Russia, -looking after his son’s Pavel education among others. As Grimm he attacked Necker calling him a traitor-from Coblenz-1792)

Jefferson, a friend of Willermoz- and Chastellux for a while-wrote somewhere (link missing) something like “ This world has room enough for us as well as Chastellux”.

As such…
    (continued)
    Last edited by yanni; 08-31-2008 at 12:07 AM.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

continued from previous

As such…
    (continued coming back to 1752-5)

The whole story of Lalive d’Epinay cheating on his wife by developing a relation with one of Les Demoiselles de Verrieres and that’s why she then divorced him and had her affair with “de Franceuil” is……completely fake!

Not just this story however:

Besides Lalive d’Epinay (sur Seine) there was a number of other owners of “a theater at La Chevrette” and there still exists a terrible mix-up as to who owned what in the area. (See post below by yourstruly at www.terresdecrivains.com/ROUSSEAU):

ROUSSEAU
    12 juin 2008
    The following theatrical characters may also added to our list as above :

1. "Le marquis du Terrail", another "d’Epinay" theater lover, who "avait, dans sa maison d’Epinai, proche Saint-Denis, une Salle de Théâtre, ….En 1755, le marquis du Terrail, fils d’un riche financier, achète le « grand château ». C’est ce dernier bâtiment qui, depuis 1908, est devenu l’Hôtel de Ville d’Epinay"

2.Le maréchal de Montmorency-Luxembourg, protecteur de Rousseau qui 1754 à 1764 habitait au chateau de Montmorency (His relation to les freres Crozat, financiers, whose art collection formed the basis of Hernitage Museum in Saint Petersburg with "Diderot" allegedly intermediating-are also well worth investigating) .

3. Le marechal duc du Croy (or Croi) owner of …….Ermitage "C’est elle [Mme d’Epinay] qui concéda quelque temps le chalet de l’Ermitage Ermenonville) à Jean-Jacques Rousseau où en 1756 le grand philosophe allait connaître ses meilleurs moments." Le maréchal, surnommé….

(4.)le Penthièvre du Hainaut, à cause de sa bienfaisance et de ses vertus, fit bâtir le magnifique château de l’Ermitage au milieu de la forêt de ce nom, près Condé-sur-l’Escaut, où il avait aussi un château dont il était seigneur

Le Duc du Croy died 30th March 1784 (A month after Comte Saint Germain’ s Eckeforde death, a month before Augustine Henry Cochin’s Paris death.)

En conclusion : Un vrais "jardin de plantes" cochinois ou les chourouges ont replace les orchidees.

I have no intention to further research the issue on each and everyone as above(they don't seem to be essential in Saint Germain's biography, excepting the evident yet untraceable "family banking business") and the point is made re his continuous use of aliases to disguise himself, the practice continued when in Russia as well, as we’ll see in next!
    Last edited by yanni; 08-16-2008 at 12:47 PM.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

1758-1762

Part VI

An abbreviated timeline of our hero’s-online-presences and actions 1758-1762 is as follows

As Baron Alexander Stroganov he married 1m: St.Petersburg 18.2.1758 (div XI.1762) Countess Anna Mikhailovna Voronzova (*1743 +21.2.1769);

April 1758 …At this time the King gave an apartment in the royal castle of Chambord to Saint-Germain, and a group of students formed around him. These included Baron von Gleichen, Marquise d’Urfré and the Princess of Anhalt-Zerbst, mother of Catherine II of Russia.(i.e. Johanna Elisabeth von Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp who died shortly after, May 30, 1760),

Voltaire’s famous statement from 1758 in his letter to Frederick of Prussia, that St Germain is “a man who never dies, and who knows everything,”*(Note below)

The united Austrian and Russian forces nearly destroyed the Prussian army at the battle of Kunersdorf

Grimm becomes envoy of the town of Frankfort at the court of France in January - but looses his post in August because of his criticism of Marshall de Broglie

Grimm expresses his views on Voltaire’s Candide.

(about this time, 1758-59, "Serge Saltycov", leaves Saint Petersburg for Germany and France)

1760 ...an extant a letter from Saint-Germain to the Marquise de Pompadour, dated March 11, 1760

March 14-May the 6th St Germain is in Holland (Mitchell papers) While his attempts to make peace appeared to fail, he returned to Paris in May

Palissot's Philosophes opens at la Comédie-Française(May) a play which plagiarizes les Femmes savantes and abuses Diderot, Helvétius, Grimm, Madame Geoffrin and especially Rousseau, who is portrayed as an animal walking on all fours. L'abbé Morellet retorts with an incisive brochure, Vision de Charles Palissot, which will consequently warrant his imprisonment.

The Bourbon Family Compact emerged to be eventually followed by the Treaty of Paris which ended the colonial wars.

When the Marquise d’Urfé informed Choiseul of the Count’s presence, he responded, “I am not surprised, because he spent the night in my chamber.”

Baron Alexander, (Stroganov) ….Count of the Holy Roman Empire 29.5.1761,

When the Empress Elizabeth died at Christmas, 1761, Catherine was carrying Orlov’s child, Aleksei Gregorovich

*Note: Living at Ferney at the time, the house owned by "a" Saint-Germain, propriétaire de maison à Ferney, II 58, 68, 69 at http://societe-voltaire.org/cv-index.php -The good site permits no access to research details, if any, of such a revelation. A further look reveals that the site is Préparé par Ulla Kölving, the same scholar who "looks after" Melchior Grimm's documents and "shortened" biography.
    Last edited by yanni; 11-07-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: add ownership of Voltaire's Ferney house by Saint Germain.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

1762 Peter III’s removal.

(A sudden lumbago attack-possibly the result of multiple lol fits produced by the recent discoveries of Saint Germain “russian” story and identities or perhaps of his relative reaction and consequent spell or both- prevents me from elaborating for long on the subject at this stage, as such the bare essentials only follow in this post).

As Serge Soltycov he fathered Catherine’s first, Pavel, and as Alexander S.Stroganov he was responsible for Peter III’s dethronement, 1762, when Catherine “was” with Gregory Orlov.

Gregory claimed he did not know him as “S.Soltycov” or as “A.Stroganov” at the time, only as Count Saint Germain, (he wrote to the Margrave of Brandenburg-Anspach that the Count “played a great part in their revolution” and helped set Catherine II on the throne..)

Peter III was truly at St Germain’s mercy: His chief chancellor, Mikhail Vorontzov, was “Stroganov’s” fatherinlaw whereas his alleged mistress, Elisabeth or Yelizaveta Vorontsova, was the younger sister*(note1) of “Stroganov's” first russian wife-Anna Mikhailovna Voronzova.

Catherine Vorontzova Dashkova, either a sibling sister or a cousin of the other two ladies, later President of the Academies of arts and sciences and Ben Franklin’s 1781 “friend”, was a life long instrument in Saint Germain’s hands and plans.

Her 1804-6 memoirs, written while her master was still alive (as Stroganov he finally died 1811, while she died 1810) totally avoid “Grimm” or “Serge Soltycov” whereas two more aliases are provided to cover*{note2) him: “Ivan Betskoy” who allegedly claimed a part in the heroic act of Peter’s disposal and “Ivan Saltycov” who “didn’t know a thing about music” or arts. As regards Stroganov (Stroganoff) her cousin: what she writes is he courted her once and Catherine reprimanded her.

Another opera buffa of his that is considered today a history source.

There is much more to say on the subject*(note 3) but for the time being an apology to his ruskie “serfs”-counting hundreds of thousands-suffices.

Note1: "Penny cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge" p572 wants Mikhail Vorontzov to have just one daughter, Anna, and three nieces among them Elisabeth, Peter's mistress, and Dashkova!

Note2: Dashkova provides also a detailed account of the 1770-1771 whereabouts of Alexei Orlov and "Ivan" Saltycov: Her intention is to absolve-discriminate "Serge" Saltycov (who "dies" 1765) from "Ivan Saltycov"- who "could not have been in Venice, 1771" preparing brulots with Al.Orlov but were both enjoying themselves in northern Europe. Clearly a case of planted misinformation!!

Note 3: In the meantime Lord Chesterfileds letters have been discovered. A brief study produced conclusive evidence re "Peter Soltikow's" role and origins as well as his early "british links"
    (See http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/ches...s/volume8.html and volume 9)
    Highly indicative imo the following letter on Peter III's disposal
    BLACKHEATH, September 14, 1764
    You ask me what I think of the death of poor Iwan, and of the person who ordered it. You may remember that I often said, she would murder or marry him, or probably both; she has chosen the safest alternative; and has now completed her character of femme forte, above scruples and hesitation. If Machiavel were alive, she would probably be his heroine, as Caesar Borgia was his hero. Women are all so far Machiavelians, that they are never either good or bad by halves; their passions are too strong, and their reason too weak, to do anything with moderation. She will, perhaps, meet, before it is long, with some Scythian as free from prejudices as herself. If there is one Oliver Cromwell in the three regiments of guards, he will probably, for the sake of his dear country, depose and murder her; for that is one and the same thing in Russia.

Lord Chesterfield is distorting the truth.
    Last edited by yanni; 11-01-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Lord Chesterfield's correspondence

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Nikita "K"

Poe's "On flowers, before, and mist, and love they ran, With Persian Saadi in his(!) Gulistan" *Note below....fits the "russian" history of the Cocchi family like a glove:

Their first online record is 1710-16 with a certain lieutenant "N.K", a cartographer, serving Peter I's "eastern" navy.

The particular name variation-to be found today in Russia**-will not be revealed but....

...it is comforting to know that they are propably among the readers of this thread!

Should they have any objection re the accuracy of my findings, their relative input is wellcome.

Good morning Russia!

*Note In 1813, with the conclusion of the Gyulistanskogo peace treaty, Russia acquired sole right to maintain a fleet in the Caspian Sea.
    **The legal mess created by St Germain's russian aliases must have been a true nightmare for his successors (sorting out the real estate, particularly in "down town" Moscau) !
    Last edited by yanni; 10-03-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add note on "Gulistan"

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

When in doubt, call the experts!

Yourstruly called for expert assistance be provided re St Germain's russian story

Quoting from http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/ind...4330#msg334330

To continue-and add to- Saint Germain's "russian multiple personalities":

Paul I's paranoia (http://nationalism.org/patranoia/fil...-tsar-paul.pdf) may well be justified if the following persons surrounding him
    turn out to be one and the same:

a)Sergei Vasilievitch Saltykov (Tzar Paul I’s father), who "was ambassador to Paris 1761-1762" (History of My Life By Giacomo Casanova, Willard R. Trask, p356) married 1750 to a “Matryona Pavlovna” (meaning "Paul's mother").. ….
    b) Peter Semen Saltycov, governor of Moscau (with whom Catherine II corresponded in French).
    and
    c)Nikolai Ivanovitch Saltycov (Paul's tutor -who replaced N.Panin-while he was in Elizabeth's care, said to be Catherine’s spy, the general who previously defeated the Prussians, 1759* See note).

the last "outlives" the others (who had to "die" for various reasons too long to explain) :

Without doubt, the most formidable and impressive of Alexis’s close relatives was his grandfather General Nikolai Ivanovich Soltykoff (1736 - 1816) who became chairman of the war committee under Empress Catherine II and her son and heir Emperor Paul I, and later president of Council of the Empire and of the Board of Ministers and lastly Field Marshal of the Empire. After the wedding of Grand Duke Pavel (Paul) Petrovich son of Catherine II to Natalia Alekseyevna General Soltykoff was appointed by Catherine II to run their small household. In 1795, at the age of 59 he was described as a being 'small, thin and with a sharp nose; a very devout man who spent a long time each morning at his prayers; he wore a high, powdered and pomaded toupet and had a limp; and constantly pulled up his breeches'.[2] As an example of his commanding influence, when Catherine (The Great) had a stroke in 1796 and her grandson Alexander arrived at the Winter Palace, he was not allowed to see her for several hours. Count Saltykov - 'first personage' of Catherine’s court - had feared that Alexander may try to proclaim himself Tsar. At 5pm he gave permission. She died the next evening.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Dmitriyevich_Saltykov

Count-General Nikolai, head of the Malta knights of Russia, the same who:

Au décès de Paul Ier, en 1801, son fils Alexandre Ier de Russie, conscient de cette irrégularité, décide de rétablir les anciens us et coutumes de l'Ordre catholique des Hospitaliers[1], par un édit du 16 mars 1801 par lequel il laisse les membres profès libres de choisir un nouveau chef. Néanmoins, étant donnée l'impossibilité de réunir l'ensemble des électeurs, le comte Nicholas Soltykoff assure l'intérim de la charge.

BTW there is a relative post in here (by Dr Richard Walding,Research Fellow,Griffith University, Australia) that has been left unattended for quite a while.

*Note : According to "The Russian Empire in the Eighteenth Century By Aleksandr Kamenskiĭ, David Griffiths" p193 however it was Peter Saltycov who defeated the prussians at Kunersdorf.........
    Last edited by yanni; 10-04-2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: add comment on "Matryona Pavlovna"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast