Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exceptional translators who translate into English

Exceptional translators who translate into English

Considering that the experience of a non-English book or author often hinges upon translation I was wondering how many exceptional translators there are, which reliably frame the experience of a particular language.
    Two translators of this kind which have really helped me enjoy other languages are William Weaver (for Italian) and Robert Fagles (for Ancient Greek). Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky are a pair of Russian translators whose translations I haven't read, but I understand them to be the best assistants to English readers who want to appreciate Russian works.

I'm only a monoglot, so it would be nice to hear from people capable in the translated languages that have been read. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Constance Garnett for Doestoevski
    Lowe-Porter for Mann
    Kaufman for Nietzsche
    Barnes for Sartre
    Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Rather to reign in hell.. KyleBennett's Avatar
    Yeah this is an interesting question! I'm currently reading Anna Karenin translated by Rosemary Edmonds. Does this translation perfectly reflect the same experience of reading that it gives in Russian? I am as well a Monoglot, but my girlfriend is a polyglot, speaking both Swedish and English, and she often points out errors in translation between the two langauges both in feeling and in meaning.

However please don't tell me that Edmonds' Karenin is a bad translation- i've already read 769 pages, and am nearly finished. :-P

Aprčs tout, je suis con. (Breathless)

Quote Originally Posted by jgweed View Post
    Constance Garnett for Doestoevski
    Lowe-Porter for Mann
    Kaufman for Nietzsche
    Barnes for Sartre
    I was under the impression that Constance Garnett's translation of The Brothers Karamazov was considered to be one of the worst?
    Noću, u intimnom, poluglasnom razgovoru sa samim sobom, nikako ne mogu zapravo logički opravdati zašto se u posljednje vrijeme toliko uzrujavam zbog ljudske gluposti.

Miroslav Krleža

Quote Originally Posted by johann cruyff View Post
    I was under the impression that Constance Garnett's translation of The Brothers Karamazov was considered to be one of the worst?
    See this thread: http://www.online-literature.com/for...stance+Garnett
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    I was actually just thinking about this as I'm currently reading Sophie's world and there is definitely something off in the translation, I just cant pin it down and its annoying me. like the inevitable question is the language deliberately so simple because Sophie is 14, or is it an after affect of translation. and the 'there is no need to carry coals to Newcastle" is that a Norwegian saying? or did the translator pull it out of a hat?
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

I was rushed in my last reply (I had to keep it secret from my microcomputer applications teacher's watchful eye ). Personally, I think Charles E. Wilbur (I think that's the name) translated Les Miserables pretty well, or at least I thought the product was exceptional. He's the only other translator that I could think of, with the exception of Garnett.

Quote Originally Posted by johann cruyff View Post
    To elaborate on this point: though I haven't read TBK fully, I did at least read the chapter entitled "The Grand Inquisitor." And though I haven't read other translations, I thought it was excellent. See the link in my above post for more info.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I was actually just thinking about this as I'm currently reading Sophie's world and there is definitely something off in the translation, I just cant pin it down and its annoying me. like the inevitable question is the language deliberately so simple because Sophie is 14, or is it an after affect of translation. and the 'there is no need to carry coals to Newcastle" is that a Norwegian saying? or did the translator pull it out of a hat?
    The "there is no need to carry coals to Newcastle" is an English saying, but as it is with many sayings probably only regionally spread. It simply describes a pointless action and is definitely not a mistake of the translator.
    And Jostein Gaarder always writes very simple, since his writings are aimed at an audience mainly consisting of young adults.
    Čłowjek je dwójny, tež sam sebi. Tysacy słowow sym kaž paćerki stykał na swoje lĕta a na kóncu spóznał, zo ani jednoho słowa njeje, kotrež by jeho w ćĕle a duši we wšej wĕrnosći wĕrnje pomjenowało.

Robin Buss for French, although he has a relatively limited library.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    I already knew about that thread,though I haven't visited it in a while. Anyway,I only said I was under the impression that this translation was considered bad in comparison to others based on what I heard from other people,not just in this forum. I didn't read it,I read the book translated to Bosnian,btw.
    Noću, u intimnom, poluglasnom razgovoru sa samim sobom, nikako ne mogu zapravo logički opravdati zašto se u posljednje vrijeme toliko uzrujavam zbog ljudske gluposti.

Miroslav Krleža

I read (although didn't complete) Lowe-Porter's translation of Mann's Magic Mountain, and I wasn't enamored with the text. I can't exclude the possibility that I just didn't take to Mann, but whilst reading I felt a suspicion that a more majestic narrative lay behind the specific words which were translated before me. Is Lowe-Porter 'the' Mann authority? The exceptional renderer of his works? I'm now aware of John E. Woods, who is an acclaimed contemporary translator of Mann. I wonder whether I should of obtained the newer translation instead of Lowe-Porter's translation.

Also, are Larissa Volokhonsky and Richard Pevear standout Russian translators? I have a paranoia that if I just pursue the newest translations I'll overlook older, more respecting translations

*sigh* there is a discomfort knowing you're removed or distanced from the literature you read

Inderjit Sanghera
    Constance Garnett's translations were frequently derided and ridiculed by Nabokov, whose Russian and English are far better than Garnett's.
    I don't speak, read or write Russian so I couldn't really comment.
    The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.-Vladimir Nabokov

human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we tap crude rhythms for bears to dance to, while we long to make music that will melt the stars-Flaubert

Quote Originally Posted by Inderjit Sanghe View Post
    Constance Garnett's translations were frequently derided and ridiculed by Nabokov, whose Russian and English are far better than Garnett's.
    I don't speak, read or write Russian so I couldn't really comment.
    Everyone has their opinions . . .

Dostoevsky Forum!

I'm currently reading Constance Garnett's War and Peace, which I bought even though I already own the more widely-regarded L. and A. Maude translation, because I prefer Garnett. That said, I must confess to occasionally double-checking a paragraph with the Maude translation, because clarity is not Garnett's main concern, and she confuses at times.

Ralph Manheim, who translates German—English, is very good. Somebody (I forget who) commented, "So many of my favourite books are translated by Ralph Manheim that I am beginning to suspect Ralph Manheim is actually my favourite writer". His translation of Gunter Grass's The Tin Drum is particularly worth a look.

On a side note, does anyone have a particular favourite translation of Dante's Divine Comedy? (I'm with H. W. Longfellow.)

Anyone know a good Goethe translator, for his poems and Faust Parts 1 and 2? The copies I have seem either trying to keep metre too desperately, or trying to keep diction as close to the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast