Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best works of Balzac.

Bibliophile
    Blog Entries
    I'd say Splendeurs et misères des courtisanes. I think I read it three or four times.
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation. Oscar Wilde

Balzac penned a poisonious little lesbian story entitled, 'The Girl with Green Eyes'...

Would anyone be kind enough to inform me as to who are good translators of M. Balzac? Specifically if the 1950 Modern Library edition is a worthwhile version of his 2 well-known works?

La Père Goriot & Eugénie Grandet (Modern Library, 245.1) [Hardcover]
    E. K. Brown (Translator, Introduction), Dorothea Walter (Translator), John Watkins (Translator)
    I ran across this version in a used bookstore & almost purchased it but wasn't sure about the translator. I am always at odds since I prize vintage hardcovers yet prefer modern (in regards to research, not language usage) translations. Any help would be appreciated.
    "I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
    -Anna Quindlen

Man ought not be too happy, for nothing is more fleeting and elusive than happiness.
    -Sinuhe the Egyptian

Literary Superstar Pryderi Agni's Avatar
    On the spires of Paris, with the Red Queen...
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    Would anyone be kind enough to inform me as to who are good translators of M. Balzac? Specifically if the 1950 Modern Library edition is a worthwhile version of his 2 well-known works?

I ran across this version in a used bookstore & almost purchased it but wasn't sure about the translator. I am always at odds since I prize vintage hardcovers yet prefer modern (in regards to research, not language usage) translations. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'd hate to think Modern Library would let us down, but you could also check out Ellen Marriage's translation. It's old and in the public domain. I read her translation of Pere Goriot and found nothing to complain about. In fact, she sharpens Balzac's vituperative wit even further. Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pryderi Agni View Post
    I'd hate to think Modern Library would let us down, but you could also check out Ellen Marriage's translation. It's old and in the public domain. I read her translation of Pere Goriot and found nothing to complain about. In fact, she sharpens Balzac's vituperative wit even further. Try it!
    Thank you for the reply. I went ahead & picked up that copy as, like you said, I presumed a Modern Library version could be trusted, even if they aren't current.

But it's always good to have an electronic copy available, so I will look into Ms. Marriage's translation as well.

Cheers.
    "I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
    -Anna Quindlen

Man ought not be too happy, for nothing is more fleeting and elusive than happiness.
    -Sinuhe the Egyptian

Balzac

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
    Fristly if I were you, I would go for 'Le Père Goriot'- the most recognised and famous piece of work of Balzac. If you like it(I'm sure you'll), then you can try 'Illusions perdues', 'Eugénie Grandet' or 'La Cousine Bette'.
    You can also read " Caterina de Medici" By Balzac
    It is a wonderfull piece of literatura.

Lucien Chardon

I have read Lost Illusions and find Lucien Chardon fascinating, but he is far from being my favorite fiction hero ever. He is weak, a "femmelette" as D'Arthez calls him in his letter to Lucien's sister. His education is frustrating as he seems to fall in every trap life lays in front of him and doesn't have the guts to assume his responsibilities. Furthermore, he often is a complete idiot, easily played by others, journalists, femmes du monde, and even the Brothers Cointet and the clerk they've hired to trick David...
    Rastignac in the Pere Goriot is somehow morally and intellectually superior to Lucien; he also is socially more sophisticated and successful.
    What do you think? What aspect of Lucien have I missed to despise him like I do?

Hi, i am new to Balzac
    Could you please suggest me any Balzac's work to start with.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthehunk View Post
    Hi, i am new to Balzac
    Could you please suggest me any Balzac's work to start with.
    thank you.
    Anything you please. Balzac is a prerrequisite to the writers of the 19th and 20th century. He could make a world out of a small perimeter, precisely because that's more than anyone can handle when properly analysed. We ought to his writings a lot of the progress that was ever made in history and for history as a science.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Anything you please. Balzac is a prerrequisite to the writers of the 19th and 20th century. He could make a world out of a small perimeter, precisely because that's more than anyone can handle when properly analysed. We ought to his writings a lot of the progress that was ever made in history and for history as a science.
    thanks friend
    but could you name some for me
    cause i have no idea of his writings
    or
    you want me to explore on my own self

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12