Thread: how shall i be a writer ?

how shall i be a writer ?

thank you for your visiting.
    I have written an interesting comic book and i intend to have the copyright. But after that i want to sell my book to all the world. But i don"t know the way. What is the best way. Give me an advice please. i'm immigrant to korea and live in seoul.
    Last edited by kristina 99; 03-28-2008 at 01:46 AM.

There are lots of us here on this forum who would like to sell our material to "all the world." If we could actually do that, though, we probably wouldn't be here.
    Last edited by DickZ; 03-28-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Well, if you think it's really good (and we haven't seen it, so we cannot really judge...), then you can always send it to a publisher. Look on the internet, enough publishers there...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

To get published you must excels in your writings. You have not reserved your space yet.

You need to be extra refined

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Bibliophile Romanticus
    Florida -- Peninsula of sunshine, oranges, and millions of disenfranchised democratic voters.
    Kristina 99 ~ Don't give up. That's what most writers and writing teachers will tell you. Don't give up, and be ready for criticism, good and bad.
    It is good that you copywrite your work before you send it anywhere, but make sure it is as complete and polished as you can make it. It will probably go through a lot more editing if someone accepts it, but the more polished you can make it yourself the better it will appeal to someone. Do you already know what the process is in South Korea to get something copywritten? Here in America they say the first and easiest way that will stand up in court is that you:
    1. Mail yourself a copy and sign it in blue ink. Many legal documents here in the U.S. are preferred to be in blue ink now.
    2. Mail it to yourself.
    3. Do not open it when you get it because that will defeat the purpose, and negate the package seal and post mark.
    4. Keep it in your files as an original.

In my college writing class we discussed this method. I am not a lawyer, a student, but this method is said to work here if it was ever necessary to prove you wrote a particular thing and the date of it if someone tried to copy your idea.

Many here feel the only way to get published in America these days by a trustworthy publisher, you have to have a literary agent first. And that can be difficult. The agent will try to find a publisher. We have writers festivals here where they have workshops, and literary agents come and speak to aspiring writers. It can be very frustrating and they will tell you it's not easy, but they will also tell you to hang in there if you believe in your work.

The literary agent that spoke with us said you should never have to pay for an agent or publisher out of your pocket if they are legit and reputable. If they want money from you it is probably a scam.

Here in America we have the Library of Congress that is also a way to copywrite things. They actually keep the copy the writer sends them on file and issue a number that solely belongs to the writer. There is a fee to pay and guidelines to go by. I would imagine and hope that South Korea has a similar system. Can you contact the University there and ask someone perhaps in a writing department, or even the art department, since it is what we call now a graphic novel?

We also have self publishing but that can be expensive, and getting your work out and getting it recognised could be a real problem. Even here in the U.S. unless the writer is already huge, and well known, the writer has to do much of the work promoting themselves, doing reading and tours, etc. Some of our writers have said it is a full-time job and you wear many other hats other than just writing.

Also, where did you live and immigrate from before you arrived in Seoul? I am reading between the lines in thinking you may have more freedom in South Korea than where you came from. I have been to Seoul years ago btw -- good luck to you Kristina 99!
    Last edited by Page Sniffer; 05-29-2008 at 01:13 AM.