View Poll Results: "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini: Final Verdict

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

3 5.26%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

6 10.53%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

14 24.56%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

26 45.61%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

8 14.04%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kite Runner Discussion

Has anyone read The Kite Runner?

Has anyone read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini? I thought it was such a brilliant book and I would love to discuss. It gives such a brief yet vivd insight into the social histroy of Afghanistan.

It is so incredibly moving and gripping that i had to very reluctantly force myself to put it down. It was outstanding and considering it is Hosseini's first published book makes it even more exceptional.

I'd like to know what anyone else thinks...

I haven't read it but my history teacher recommended it to me, and for a while now I've been thinking about reading it (of course, I would have to find a copy from somewhere first) but I haven't had much time.
    Was it really that good? What about it made it so "gripping"? I'm not familiar with Afghan history so there might be something obvious about it that I've missed.
    "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without." --Buddah

Your opinion may differ but I found the book so gripping because of the way Hosseini manages to bring his characters to life without actually doing much and I realised that Hosseini had made me do all the work, his characters became my characters. Hosseini merely provides you with a mould that you are free to do whatever you please with.

It is set partly during the last days of the monarchy into the Taliban Regime when the country is in turmoil (and still is today). Hosseini makes you feel as though you are there in Afghanisthan, walking along the dusty roads with the strong smell of curried lamb and spices. He gives such a brilliant insight into the values of the Afghan culture, which I believe to be are honour and love. As the story progressed I began to feel love for the characters and I developed a deep respect for them. He also shows many faces of guilt, redemption and fear.

There is a certain point in the book that had me in tears, the language is so potent and compelling that I just couldn't control myself.

loquacious cat mrawr
    One of the wonderfull things about the Kite Runner, is the anti-hero. The main character is plausible and authentic, and his personal development is thrilling as well as antagonising.
    The language is simply gorgeuos. there is a seductive play with words, that constantly leaves the heart beating.

I would try it for sure. It seems like a good book. I used to love flying Kites but now, I don't like it at all.

"Basant" is coming and I don't want it to come and there were days, when I used to wish for it to come. It was lovely to see around, flying Kites and music playing and a crowd of people on the roof but now, it does not attract me because I think that "Flyiing Kites" is dangerous.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I have heard good things about this book from several friends and now from you, too. I picked it up at my used book store today and hopefully will get to it soon, I'll come back and post when I'm done.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter." -Dr. Seuss
    chuckreads
    listal

Spoilers Warning

The Kite-Runner is an amazing book. It is one of those books that I have completed in one-go, for I was so much interested in "how Amir was going to re-pay Hassan and whether he was going to find him or not" and the ending struck me.

Though I knew that there was something different about how Amir's Baba was treating Hassan but still, I thought it was his gentle nature. Amir's Baba's definition of sins and all those stuff, I never got the idea that he could be Hassan's Baba as well.

All those times, when Amir never considered Hassan a good friend, I felt a great pity for Hassan and an immense dislike for Amir but then, when Aamir re-paid his debt to Hassan by adopting Hassan's son and his own newphew, then I thought if Suhrab had forgiven him, then how couldn't I...

In fact, I liked the book very much, though it was very poignant. I wonder if Khaled Hossaini has written some other books, I will like to read them too.
    Last edited by Pensive; 09-16-2006 at 10:49 AM.

love the book!

I teach the book in my World Lit classes. The perspectives of my students are astounding! This novel is a great one to use for discussion.

Hi eteacher, welcome to the forum!

To which grade, do you teach this novel, by the way?

Blog Entries
    I read a summary about its plot..and what's talking about..
    Sadly I never got the chance to buy it...since I couldn't find it where I live..

I thought The Kite Runner was brilliant. The language was incredibly vivid, and I absolutely fell in love with Amir's character, but then hated him at the same time for what he was doing to Hassan. The book is just magical.

the kite runner themes

Hi, I love this book, it's probally one of my top 5 books. I found 4 themes in the book and i was wondering how you thought the themes were developed throught the book.

Strength of the Character
    The fragile relationship between father and son
    Loyalty and devotion
    Man;s inhumanity to man

Hello book-lover353, I can't reply to your topic as I haven't read it yet, but I'll look it up.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by book-lover353 View Post
    Hi, I love this book, it's probally one of my top 5 books. I found 4 themes in the book and i was wondering how you thought the themes were developed throught the book.

Strength of the Character
    The fragile relationship between father and son
    Loyalty and devotion
    Man;s inhumanity to man
    Yes, these themes deal with the whole novel perfectly. Both strength of character and loyalty/devotion can be described by looking at Hassan's character, how much he protected Aamir. He didn't even change after the bad treatment by Aamir.

Now if we come on the topic of father's and son's relationship, it did not astonish me much. The way he treated Aamit too, showed that he was guilty about what he did but he could not have shared it with Aamir. He was not supposed to be proud after what he did. And by looking at Pushtuns way of living and stuff, we could not have expected him to accept Hassan as his son in eyes of even public. (Though, it's what he should have done!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    Yes, these themes deal with the whole novel perfectly. Both strength of character and loyalty/devotion can be described by looking at Hassan's character, how much he protected Aamir. He didn't even change after the bad treatment by Aamir.

Now if we come on the topic of father's and son's relationship, it did not astonish me much. The way he treated Aamit too, showed that he was guilty about what he did but he could not have shared it with Aamir. He was not supposed to be proud after what he did. And by looking at Pushtuns way of living and stuff, we could not have expected him to accept Hassan as his son in eyes of even public. (Though, it's what he should have done!)
    Very nice, also with the father and son relationship, Amir thought that his father was pround of him, so he was always lying to make his father proud

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast