Thread: sos Jack London's White Fang.

sos Jack London's White Fang.

I'm a librarian who is reading White Fang because it will be on the Summer Reading List for my patrons. In the past when Jack London has been on the list he was very popluar with the boys. I think I can see why but, input on this would be helpful. As a librarian my other concern about White Fang is how accurate is Jack London with his facts. In particular his knowledge of wolves. I would also like opinions on his view of the Indians/Native Americans. Never sure what to call them as I heard Indians say they perfer Indian but, then liberals think you are being insenstive. Can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora Eve View Post
    I'm a librarian who is reading White Fang because it will be on the Summer Reading List for my patrons. In the past when Jack London has been on the list he was very popluar with the boys. I think I can see why but, input on this would be helpful. As a librarian my other concern about White Fang is how accurate is Jack London with his facts. In particular his knowledge of wolves. I would also like opinions on his view of the Indians/Native Americans. Never sure what to call them as I heard Indians say they perfer Indian but, then liberals think you are being insenstive. Can't please everyone.
    As far as I've ever known, the preferred term is Native Americans, since "Indian" was applied to every dark-skinned race of people east of India itself.

In terms of Jack London's knowledge of the wild and wolves, I've found it to be quite accurate and in line with eye-witness accounts of the times and people living in the same areas in 2008.

Are there any specific wolf stories you want to check? I've racked my brain but can't recall anything apocryphal.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon