View Poll Results: What is you favorite?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vony

1 50.00%
  • Chirs

1 50.00%

Thread: The Black Box

Wink The Black Box

Took me 3yrs Enjoy

Chapter 1

It was my first day in LASU when my life changed forever. I had gone to study Science. Not just one little part, but the whole field! My name is Chris Sackette and I was excited to go to school. When I first arrived, I seated myself in the front of the room. There I hoped to be seen taking extra long notes and working hard at every thing I was assigned to do. Before our professor came in, I thought that it was going to be a male teaching us. When the Professor walked in and turned out to be female, I thought I would die. She had black straight hair that hung to about mid back, fair skin and amazing green eyes.
    She stood before the new students as if she where judging whether or not we where a class worthy for her to teach. It must have been a yes because after a moment, her face broke into a smile and she introduced herself.
    “Welcome class. My name is Professor Lim Ling. I will be your instructor while you take this class. The first thing we need to know about is statistics and probability. Without these, you will not be eligible to pass this class. It is a very important part of all science. You need to use it when working in astronomy clear through chemistry. Another thing is estimation. It is also important in all-”
    She stopped in the middle of her sentence and looked at a student at the back of the room. I turned to see who it was that interrupted the class. It was a woman about my age maybe a bit younger. She asked timidly, “Mam, may I ask a question?”
    “Yes. What is it?”
    “Why do we need to learn all this stuff? We already studied this in high school.”
    “Ah, very good question. The reason is because, you have not yet learned the advanced techniques in these areas. Do you know short cuts to make problems easier? I didn’t think so.” She answered to the heads that where saying no.
    For the rest of the day Miss Lim Ling scolded us with her straight answers and eyes. When it came time for the class to end, she laughed and said that we wouldn’t ever have this easy of a day again. She dismissed class a few minutes early and surprisingly asked me to stay for a moment.
    She came to where I was sitting on one of the desks and pulled one over for herself. When she had finally sat down, she looked at me and said nothing. After a moment of silence, she turned away, breathed deeply and looked back. Then without warning she got up and crossed the room to her desk. There, she took a key from a necklace around her neck and unlocked one of the draws. She took out a small black box. Then, walked back over to where I sat. She handed me the little thing. It only had two buttons on it, a blue one and a red one. There where no other traces of anything else anywhere on the surface of the box.
    She said to me then with deep sincerity, “Chris, this may sound strange to you, but you must listen to what I have to say. This box holds something very dear to me and you must face what ever lies ahead of you. The buttons on that box are there for a reason. The red one means future, the blue on the other hand means past. Never push these buttons, understand? I know some things about you that you don’t even know yourself.”
    “Why are you telling me these things for? What do they mean?” I asked her bluntly.
    “You will learn that there is a time when you need to believe in yourself. When you believe in yourself, that is when you will find power and strength from your heart. You will understand what I mean as time goes on. I must send you on your way because I have a meeting I have to attend to. See you tomorrow.”
    I didn’t understand what exactly happened in that classroom, but I defiantly wasn’t prepared for what happened next.
    As I walked home thinking about the events of that day and the time with Miss Lim Ling, I was carrying the black box under my arm. I must have accidentally pushed a button because I was suddenly surrounded in a mass of swirling colors. I seemed to be changing. My clothes went from normal to extraordinarily strange. After about fifteen minutes, the swirling mass began to slow and slowly the colors themselves began to fad. Then everything went black.
    When I awoke, I was lying under a maple tree in what looked like a park. I got up and found that I was light headed. I leaned against the tree for a few moments while my mind cleared. That is when I noticed that the box was missing. I looked frantically for the little thing for a half an hour before finally giving up. I looked to the sky to find out what time it was for I had taken calculus in high school and knew what time it was by looking at the sun. Yet when I went and caste my eyes to the sky, I be came horrified. There in the sky where one sun once existed, three now shone and a huge moon hung in the background like a huge copy pasted against a 250 mile high
    wall!
    Dazed at the sight, I had not heard the foot steps that now reached my ears. Before I could hide someone turned and looked me directly in the eyes. They threw what looked like some strange metal devise in my direction. It landed on the ground a sort distance away from my feet. I decided to pick it up for curiosity got the best of me. As I did, it sprang open and metal like cords wrapped around my body. Pining my hands to my sides and bring my legs together causing me to fall. All of a sudden, I began to feel a strange pain surge through my body. I screamed in agony for the pain only grew more and more intense with each passing moment. Then, my world went black.
    When I awoke, I was in a blinding white room. With no windows to show the time and it had a evenly cut black shaded window. Probably for observation. I was frightened, I admit that, but once again I was more curious than afraid. I continued to look around the room. When I first noticed that I was tied to what looked like a metal hospital bed was when I saw the door. My hands where conformably tied on both sides of my body and my feet straight. These people obviously didn’t intend on inflecting pain.
    Then the doors to the room opened and a young women stepped in. She came to the bed where I lied facing her. She had fair white skin, beautiful green eyes, and deep brown hair that hung about mid back with the last inch to inch and a half oddly enough, pure golden blond. To tell the truth, she was gorges. She pushed a button on a remote control she held in her hands and the bindings around my wrists and ankles came free. I sat up as she asked a question.
    “What where you doing in the forbidden lands? No one is to go there not even the environmental scientists.”
    I asked pleadingly in return not answering her question, “Please, tell me, where am I? And how can I get home?”
    “How did you get here?” she asked gently.
    “Miss Lim Ling had given me a small black box. I must have pushed a button. I didn’t mean too!”
    “It’s okay. Please allow me to introduce myself? My name is Vony. You are on Earth so please do not fret that the box had taken you to another world; for it has not. It is the year of 4261, and I apologize if we frightened you. We thought that you where an outsider from the lands to the East. Then we noticed you are in civilian clothing, so we brought you here.”
    “Who are the outsiders? What has happened over the years?”
    “There are many things you do not understand because of the time lapse between your time and this time. The outsiders are the people we have been at war with for the last thousand years. We have been unsuccessful in solving our differences and being able to live in peace.”
    “Why are they so upset?”
    “They do not approve that we have set in place a law to destroy all weapons that are capable of killing others. They are the decedents of those that had battle running through their veins. Their ancestors where thirsty for blood and eager for battle to arise. My people only want to live in peace, but that is like asking the outsiders to give up their honor. Now, may I ask you a few questions about the box? You already said that it was black. Did it also have two buttons located on the top? A red and blue one?”
    “Yes. Why?”
    “There is a legend that is told among my people. It tells of a young fair skinned boy with eyes a dazzling green as though they where emeralds, and hair the color of moonlit bark. That when he arrived he would create a long a waited peace for all the people of Earth. They sent a woman back into time 3000 years. There she would remain without aging a day until she found the chosen one. She was told that she would know who he was the instant he was in her sight. That she was to send him immediately and without a warning of any kind. She was not to get to know you for many reasons, but none matter. Do you understand what this means?!”
    “Not really.” I answered.
    “You are the chosen one! You have been sent here to help deliver us from our differences, and end the war and reunite the people of Earth!”
    “That is impossible! It is just a myth!”
    “No its not! If it is, how do you explain how you got here! Please say you will stay here and help us create peace? Please?!”
    She seemed to plea with all her sincerity. Who was I to turn her away?
    “All right. I will stay and do all I can to help your people create peace.”
    “Thank you!” she screamed with glee.
    That is when a rush of memories came back to me. The last hour that I had spent in my time before I ended up here, Professor Lim Ling had told me one thing. ‘You will learn that there is a time when you need to believe in yourself, and when you believe in yourself, then you will have power within.’ Now I understand why she had told me that. She told me those words because she knew I was the chosen one. That must mean that my Professor is from the future. “No wonder. Why is it Professor Lim Ling and how do you know so much about her?”
    “I know so much about her because she is a great grandmother of mine.” She replied with a smile.
    Well, that explained the resemblance.
    *to be continued*
    Last edited by Serenity; 12-18-2004 at 12:39 AM.

The Black Box Chapter Two

Chapter 2

As a week went by she told me of many things. She explained why there are three suns now in the sky instead of just one. She told me that they where called sun sprites or baby suns. They have little mass and really cause no trouble at all. She also told me of the newly developed weapons they have created. They do not harm people but only stun them for a short amount of time.
    Vony mentioned that the outsiders have been trying to steal the newly developed weapons, and that in some cases they had succeed. They really have no idea why the outsiders want to steal the weapons for they are no good in harming others. I pointed out the one thing that had yet to cross their minds. That maybe they didn’t plain on using them the way her people had created them for. That maybe they where altering the weapons to cause them to be able to do both, kill or stun at the turn or push of a button.
    This brought great fear into Vony’s eyes as she realized the terrible thing that may happen. If ever a war where to arise, the weapons her people developed where to make sure no lives where lost. But now the terrible realization of a life being lost to another persons deeds seemed to flash before her very eyes. Shock was very abundant in her features as she suddenly became rigid.
    “Its okay. I’ll do everything I can to prevent having lives lost. Please believe in me?” I said trying to ease her fear.
    “It is not them I fear. It is their actions that hunt me in my dreams. I do trust you Chris. Honestly I do, but I don’t know if your effort will be needed. Throughout this entire war, not one life has been lost. Thank you for your concern anyway.” But the idea of death seemed to linger in her actions. No matter how much she tried to hide it, it was still apparent.
    As time went by over the next few days, Vony told me about herself and lifestyle. I asked her how old she was and found that she was a year young than I am at the age of twenty. Which makes me twenty-one. She told of the government which really hasn’t changed much. The only real difference is that they no longer have an Executive Branch of any kind. She says that law enforcement is no longer needed because every one now lives in peace within the city limits. The only time force is used is when the outsiders try to invade the city borders.
    I also found out that she was adopted at the age of six for a deadly plague killed both of her parents and most of her family. She was an only child which made losing her parents even harder for her mother was six months pregnant with a baby boy, who perished with his mother. Her only remaining living relative is my professor. Things seemed as though they couldn’t get any worse, but naturally they did.
    I got my first encounter with an outsider two weeks after I arrived. He had dark scraggily hair, brown eyes, and where filthy rags that where torn and patched in many places. He seemed to be frightened of the things that where happening around him. We asked him what his name was and he only muttered a small sound that was barely audible. I asked Vony what they intended to do with him since they have not had the executive branch for over five-hundred years. She told me that after they had questioned him and got the answers they wanted, they would set him free in the forbidden lands.
    That did not appeal to me as a very good idea. The outsider could learn many things even being in one place for a very short while. A well trained outsider would be able to pick up information just through what was said to them. Vony’s people where so desperate for peace, that they ignored many signs of possible danger. Her people may be underestimating these outsiders a great deal.
    ‘Why? Why are you truly here?’ I asked the man to myself. ‘Is there some prepuce that you are here in our midst? What is it that you hope to learn from these hopeful people that could very well lead to their own destruction?’
    Even while these things spun through my mind, Vony was having a difficult time getting answers. That is when I asked the man sitting next to me that must have sounded startling because he went rigid with my words.
    “Do your people still make truth elixir?”
    “Yes, why?”
    “There are a few things I would like to ask this gentleman, (I said gesturing to the man on the other side of the widow), that I would like to actually have answers to.”
    The man lifted himself from where he was sitting and said he would be back in a moment with a syringe.
    He indeed return in a moment with a syringe filled with a clear liquid. “Inject it all for quicker results, and wait for about ten minutes. After that he will answer any of your questions without hesitation.”
    I thanked the man and I left the observation room to join Vony in the questioning.
    When I arrived she looked exhausted with frustration. I told her not to worry and that I had something that would help. She looked at me puzzled until I should her the syringe behind my back. She jumped at me in an instant and tried to take it away.
    “We haven’t used those kinds of things in years! I don’t want to bring that back into this culture! I won’t - let you do it!” she was crying when she finished what she had to say. She sank to the floor in a shuddering heap. She looked so fragile at that point that I had to do something to help. I went to the outsider, still nameless for his stubbornness. I injected the solution into his neck and then the wait began.
    I returned to Vony who still lying on the floor. I knelt beside her and cuddled her into my arms. She trembled in my touch as I told her that what I had just done will help bring peace and possibly save her people from a disaster that would surly destroy her peoples hopes and dreams for peace.
    Her trembling slowly subsided, and her breathing came in long smooth rhythms. She had fallen to sleep in my arms. It had only taken a few minutes to see how much need that she had gone through to finally get the one thing she desired most. For her just to be held and allowed to cry like a small child in a parent’s arms. A thing, and chance, that was taken away from her so long ago and at such a young age.
    I stayed there and asked my questions from the floor. “What are you doing in the city? What is the prepuce of your mission?”
    The man looked at me startled by the question, but could not resist the notion to answer my question. “My mission was to come steal medicine for a sick child in my house hold. She has the illness that killed so many in the city and it is the only place I can get the cure. Please, she is my daughter. Help me!” He sobbed into his hands his final plea.
    I slowly removed my jacket and rolled it into a ball. Then, placing it on the floor, I gently moved Vony’s head, carefully so not to disturb her. She did not stir as her head came to rest on the soft surface. I then got up from where I was sitting and left the room.
    The one thing I had been so sure of was that he had come to spy. Then to find that he had come on behalf of saving his child’s life was devastating for me. I had label them a hostile group of people. I had convicted them of crimes only by going on what I had been told. This was not me. I promised then and there that I would meet the accused from then on out before convicting them of a crime. The truth serum had possibly saved me from making a terrible accusation about a group of people who’s actions that they acted upon where still a mystery.
    When I reached the observation room, I asked the man that had given me the truth serum for the antidote for the plague that had once ripped through the city. He jumped up from his set without asking for an explanation. He returned a few moments later with a large bottle in his hands.
    “Tell the man that this should be enough for his family with possible extras. Tell him not to only give her one pill, because an infected person needs ten pills in a period of five days. Two a day, or he could just look on the bottle.” He added with a slight smile.
    “Thank you,” I said taking the medication from his extended hand. Looking through the window at Vony lying on the floor I added without much thought, “Vony will be happy with what we have done here tonight. I just know it.” With that I left the room without a backward glance.
    When I reentered the questioning room the man looked at me as though he thought I had failed in the effort to help him save his daughter. But when I held out the large plastic container, he was finally able to relax. “You are free to go.” I said without true consent of anyone else. “Good luck to your daughter and pay close attention to the label on that bottle.”
    I offered my hand and he took it.
    “I will.” he said. “Thank you, for now my daughter has another chance at life.”
    With that, he was gone.
    I returned to Vony’s sleeping side and lifted her into my arms. I left the room and returned to the observation room. There, I asked the man sitting once again in his chair where Vony lived. He told me to go out the front doors of the station and down the left of the street. He told me to keep walking along there until I came to a white house with blue trimming. That, that would be Vony’s home.
    I thanked the man one last time for everything he has done and turned to leave.
    “Wait!,” called the man. I turned and waited.
    “Take good care of her. I knew her mother and father very well. They would be proud to she her finally at rest in good hands. Good luck.”
    He had seen through all of my actions to the very heart of the reason for it all. I was stunned to see that I had not hidden it enough to the point that no one could tell. Yet, some how still stunned by his words I couldn’t help, hoping that they where true.

*to be continued*

Black Box Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I found Vony’s home easier than I had expected. There was no sign of a lock so I turned the knob. The door opened and I stepped inside. It looked very decent inside with carpets of cream and walls of white pearls. I didn’t want to chance getting her floor dirty so I slip off my shoes and left them by the door.
    I walked down the near hall still carrying Vony asleep in my arms. I opened the first door I came to and found that it was a bedroom. I walked over to the bed that was placed by the far wall. There, I placed Vony gently. Having made it to her place safely and tired myself, I retreated from the room and walked back down the hall to the living room. I laid down on the couch only to rest from the long walk. It was so soft and felt so comfortable that I closed my eyes for what seemed a split second.
    When I awoke, a blanket was lying over me and it had grown dark outside. I slowly lifted my head to look around. There was Vony sitting at the table in the next room. I must have been asleep for a lot longer than I had initially intended. As I watched her she glanced my way and noticed that I was indeed awake. She blushed a little most likely not used to having a guy in her house.
    I stood and asked if it were safe to travel the streets alone.
    “Yes but you may stay the night if you like, so that I may return the kindness that you have soon to me today.”
    “That is a kind offer, but I would prefer to return home.”
    “All right. Shall I see you tomorrow at work?”
    “Yes.” I replied.
    “Chris?”
    “Yea?”
    “What did that outsider want in our city? I know that you injected that truth elixir even though I didn’t want you too.”
    “He had come for the antidote for the plague that had killed many of own people. He came to save his daughter’s life. Please forgive me for not listening to you, but he was not willing to talk. Now thanks to that elixir, he is on his way home to help his family.”
    “I do not hate you for what you have done and I am almost delighted that you disobeyed me and ignored how I felt. You saved a little girls life today, and if it hadn’t been for you, I could have taken a life. Thank you for being here to help in this time of need. If the plague is spreading throughout their people we will be expecting more visitors. Now they will be welcome for the cure. It may show them that peace is still an offer to all.”
    The next day at work, Vony seemed really agitated. I walked up to her and asked her what was so terribly wrong.
    “He killed her!” she screamed at me. “He purposely killed her!” Now she was crying in body shuddering sobs.
    “What do you mean? Who killed who?” I asked, gripping her shoulders gently so she was unable to turn away.
    She wrapped her arms around my neck and said, “He gave you poison Chris! He gave you poison to give to that man for his sick daughter and tribe! He knew what he was doing! He murdered them!”
    I was stunned at the sorrowful words that poured from her troubled heart. I held her tightly until her grip loosened.
    I gently pulled away and headed towards the door.
    “What are you going to do?” she asked tentatively to my back. “It wasn’t who you think it is. Ted only gave you the pills the pharmacist gave to him. The pharmacist’s name is Michael. He has a history of despising the outsiders. There is still hope for the tribe. If we move quickly we can take both of the antidotes. Including the true cure for the plague.”
    “What do we have to do?”
    “It will involve breaking many laws for our people are forbidden to cross into the forbidden lands where the outsiders live. We will also need the pills by the next hour if we expect to reach them in time.”
    “Let’s get moving then!”
    We both ran down the hall to the pharmacy and asked the nearest nurse for an emergency order of both the antidotes. She handed them both to me as Vony yelled thank you over her retreating shoulder. She was on her way to pack supplies for the journey that was to begin as soon as possible.
    I meet her twenty minutes later at her place and was packed and ready to go. She looked like a true doctor and I was surprised to see that she was armed with truth elixir. “Just in case they have lost trust in us.” She said with a small grin.
    At that moment our eyes seemed to connect for the first time and I felt some thing deep inside of me snap. I realized that this one woman was risking her own future for the lives and futures of others.
    “Are you ready to face your destiny?”
    “Yes, I believe I am.”
    We traveled through the shadows until we reached the forbidden forest. Here in the dark wood it was all right to move freely since it was growing dark. The tracers are only out in the day light hours. Their job is to find any trespassers that are trying to get into the city. As we reached the end of the wood it was dark. It was probably around ten p.m. That is when I heard Vony yell out behind me.
    I turned and saw three men rustling her to the ground and just glanced at one ready to pounce on me. “We come in peace!” I shouted to the men Who seemed to chose to ignore me. “We have come with the antidote to the plague and cure for the pills that had been given to you wrongfully.”
    They stopped harassing Vony and listened to me closely.
    “The pills that had been given to you are poisonous and those that have taken them will die if the are not reached in time. Please, help us find the father that brought the medicine back for his daughter? We have to save her before time runs out!”
    The men shook their heads in reply and motioned for us to follow. Vony held on to my arm, now afraid of the people we where following. I could tell that she was not in any way willing to even begin trusting these four.
    When we reached their camp they ran to the nearest tent. We followed the closely behind and entered after them. There, in the middle of the small place was a young girl of the age of about thirteen or fourteen along with many others. She alone was wrapped in thick layers of blankets and burned with a furious fever. Vony rushed to her side as the father I had meet only the night before stepped in her way.
    “Why are you here?” he asked with a sharp tone.
    “A mistake was made with the pills. They were not to have been given to your people. They are poisonous to humans in all cases and they had been placed in that container lying next to your daughter. She and anyone else that took those pills will die if the don’t take this antibiotic. Understand?”
    “Yes. You are allowed to move freely about this tent. It contains all those that are sick. Start with the children and work your way up through the ages. Please, just save my people.”
    He seemed so sad and, yet, so sincere. He had forgiven us even after finding out that one of the city's people had tried to kill his child and his people. He excepted our help and stood by and watched as we worked with his daughter first, who was in the worst condition.
    As the night went on Vony and I got little sleep. It was heart breaking watching this young girl struggle for her life. I talked with her father about many things including politics.
    “What is your name?” I asked when Vony left to see how everyone was doing.
    “My name is Peter Crimson. I am the leader of these people. My daughter’s name is Clara. Do you think she will make it?”
    “Yes. Vony will do everything in her power to make sure that your daughter pulls through. Do you think that there will ever be a time when your people and Vony’s people will be able to live in peace?”
    “No, not without a war, because that is the way we think things should be done. Since her people are not a warring civilization, it will probably never happen.”
    “Why do you think that a war has to be fought in order to have peace? Can’t you and your people give up on the need for killing?”
    “We think that there is a need to fight to prove which should truly be our ways of life. If her people are not willing to fight for what they believe in, then their way of life will never last. For example, the people in your time fought a civil war in the United States, am I right? They fought that war in order to keep the states part of the Union. They fought North against South, and the North’s victory stood strong for more than a thousand years. So, you see, if we fight also for what we believe in, then it will be excepted a lot more than just saying ‘this is the way it is’. That is the one reason we have yet to solve your differences.”
    “But you want peace to don’t you?” I asked him blankly.
    “Yes, but that is not a topic for you to concern yourself with.”
    I could tell that he had no more to say to me after that. He had known that I was not from this time because of my lack of knowledge. What still troubled me was that thought that I was supposed to solve these problems. This was definitely going to be a lot harder than I thought.
    *to be continued*

The rest of chapter 3

As morning finally began to show in the Eastern skies, Vony and I where able to get some sleep. When I awoke the suns where high in the sky and Vony still lied next to me asleep. Peter was over with his daughter who was awake and talking. I rose to my feet and went to say hello.
    “Good morning sir!” Clara said with a sleepy delight. “Thank you for saving my life twice.”
    “Your welcome, but please don’t thank me. It was also my fault for you almost dying.”
    “Don’t feel bad about the poison. I know that it was not your wrong doing, but some one else’s. You saved me by bring both antidotes in time. Most people would have just said, ‘Oh well. They are just outsiders.’ But not you or the woman that also came. You both risked everything to come and help the sick of this tribe. Many are grateful to you. There for it is only right that I and everyone else says thank you.”
    “You have very strong words and intelligence for being so young. Where did you learn your understanding?”
    “My mother taught me many things before the plague took her away from me and my father. She was the first to die from this horrible sickness. I came down with the plague only a short two weeks later. That is why my father went to the city. He was unable to bare the pain, and thought of losing my mother and I in less than a month. My mother would be proud of what you both have done for our people. I only hope that someday we all really can live in peace with everyone and make my mothers only wish come true.”
    With those few strong words she fell off to sleep and earned my full hearted respect. Though she was young, she was still very understanding of all that was going on around her. That is when a thought struck me. With this child’s help, we could possibly create peace.
    I returned to Vony’s sleeping side, still toying with the idea in my head. As I sat down, Vony’s turned over and looked at me with wonder in her eyes. “Where were you?”
    “I went to see how Clara is doing. She was up and talking to me, but now she has gone back to sleep. She is a very unique child. She speaks with such understanding and with so much since that there really was no point at which I felt need to argue with her.”
    “I have heard of a girl by that description. She is very valuable to anyone in power because she is able to make people see the truth in ideas that otherwise wouldn’t make since at all. She was first heard of six years ago when she was around eight or so. She has always spoke of peace between all. Calling everyone the same, equal. She has a vision of the future, let’s help her reach it?”
    “Okay. As long as we can see to it that the fighting ends. Deal?”
    “Deal.”
    So that was the beginning of the Peace Act. The one act that would hopefully bring peace to all and reunite the people of Earth.

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

We ended up returning home to a very up-tight security troop surrounding the city. There was no way in the world that we were going to be able to get in without being seen. The thing was that, we had brought Peters daughter with us. At the moment it looked as if that was a very bad idea. There was absolutely no way to get passed.
    That is when a hand came to rest on my shoulder. It was way to big to be Clara’s or Vony’s and knew then that the jig was up. I turned to see who it was to find a happy surprise. It turned out to be our old friend Ted.
    “What are you doing here!” I yelled in delight.
    “I figured you would be returning soon and thought you may want some help getting back inside the city.” He answered with a large smile.
    “How do we get in?” Seriousness filled my voice as Clara’s arms came around my waste in a fearful grip.
    “Through an underground tunnel leading into the city. If you are to go through this way, the girl will have to stay. It is to much of a risk taking her through.” He replied watching Clara.
    “I am not going any where without this child. She has come on behalf of-“
    “Please don’t stand up for me Chris.” She cut off my sentence, but had her eyes on Ted. “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Clara Crimson, daughter of the last outsider in your city. He came for pills to save my life, but instead was given poison to kill me. I understand that you fear my people. I ask of you not to be frightened of me. I have come at my own free will and am here to negotiate a peace treaty. Please forgive Chris and Vony for my sudden intrusion.”
    Her powerful words of understanding seemed to have worked on Ted as they did on me. He turned and said, “ Keep low and out of sight. Follow me.”
    As we followed Ted, he led us back the way we came. A little ways down the trail, he cut into a thick bush and trailed off deeper into the forest. After walking for almost an hour, Clara slip and fell.
    “Are you all right?” Concern filled my voice.
    “Yes. I’m just a little tired.”
    “She is still weak from the plaque. It would be wise to let her rest.” Vony called from up ahead.
    “How much further is it Ted?”
    “Another four or five miles at least.”
    “Then we’ll have to carry her if we expect to reach the city just before night fall.”
    “We’ll take turns caring her on our backs. You’ll be to tired to finish the journey yourself if we don’t.”
    “All right. Up you go Clara.”
    The girl was lighter than what I had expected. She had to have been a feather. As we walked on, I continued my original pace without any difficulties.
    The last mile or two I began to grow tired from the walking myself. Then we came up on the place we had been endlessly searching for. It was about four feet in diameter and uncovered it looked as though the drop itself was endless.
    Ted was the first to drop down into the dark space below. With a soft thud, he called for me to let Clara go next so that he could help her down. I lowered her into the hole afraid, that she may fall somehow and end up in a terrible situation.
    Little did Clara know that Ted, Vony, and I where violating every law that Vony’s people have ever created. In all the turmoil to create these laws and to enforce them while still obtaining peace was all in spite to keep Clara’s people away from the city.
    If we were to be caught tonight we too would be thrown out into the desolate world that the remaining outsiders now lived in. To know that they gave up everything that these people worked so hard to establish seemed insufficient and ridicules. Yet somehow, it was true.
    After Clara was safely down with Ted, I assisted Vony in lowering her down also. When I let her go, I looked back to the tree covered sky. Only a few stars shown through the thick brush of the branches, yet they looked so strong even though their number seemed so small. I thought to myself still gazing at the stars, “I hope that even a small amount of people will believe and help Clara for fill her mother’s dreams of world peace between all people.
    “Chris!” Vony’s voice rang from bellow bringing me back to my senses.
    “What?” I asked still coming out of my thought.
    “Are you coming or not?!”
    “Yeah.”
    “Then move it.”
    I finally dropped down into the deep unknown with the others and to feel Vony take his hand.
    “I’ll guide you until you can see. That way we can make it back to the city before light. If not, then we will have to sit the day out in this tunnel. Is that possible Ted?”
    “Possible yes. Safe, no. These tunnels are old sewers and have lately been crumbling in places. These tunnels have been abandoned by every living thing that once thrived here. Please, do not linger in this place if it is not needed. Promise me this.”
    “We can all promise you that my friend. With every thing you have done for us, we can guarantee you that we don’t intend to stay long in any place.”
    Suddenly there was a very low sound that came from the walls that had the same effect as if the walls where caving in. Little did we know that, that was exactly what was happening. As the sound grew louder, Clara grew frightened and ran to my side. That was when it happened, a part of the roof right behind Ted gave way.
    “Run as fast as you can and don’t stop until you reach the end the tunnel, no matter what happens.” That was when a small part the roof gave way above Clara. Ted jumped in time only to be able to push her out of the way.
    “Ted, no!!” Vony screamed as she realized what had happened.
    “Keep running! Don’t worry about me I’ll be fine. Run!” That was the last time I ever saw Ted again.

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

We did as Ted had told us and left him behind. When we finally made it out, alive and safe, Clara collapsed crying. Vony was dazed and tears were streaming down her face in utter silence and disbelief. After touching her shoulder, I walked over to Clara who was lying with her head buried in her arms. I also touched her shoulder. When I did, she turned her tear stained face to me.
    “Come here honey.” I said with my arms extended. She did need me to say anymore then that, for as the words came out of my mouth, she was flying into my arms.
    “We never should have left him!” she cried to me. “He helped us with so much we should have at least tried to help him!”
    “I know sweetheart. After you are asleep, I am going to go see if there is anything I can do to help, all right?” I told her to soothe her tears.
    “Promise?”
    “I promise.”

After a few restless hours, Clara finally fell fast asleep.
    “Chris, are you really going back in there?” Vony asked me with a look of great fear on her face.
    “Yes Vony, I made a promise and I am not willing to brake it.” I said in reply as I walked toward to tunnel’s opening.
    “Then at least let me come with you?”
    “No. One of us has to stay here with Clara. Please, no matter how long I am in there, do not come in to find me. Understood?”
    “Understood.” Vony said as I turned away.
    Then she grabbed my shoulder “Chris please come back to me.”
    I turned and looked her in the eyes to find that tears were streaming done her face once more. Yet they were not tears of sorrow, but instead tears of true fear.
    I touched my hand to her cheek, “I promise you that I will come back. Please don’t cry.” I had feared that her tears would keep me from going back into the dark opening that my have clamed one of my friend’s lives.
    I was about to turn and leave when she did some thing totally unexpected. She kissed me. I don’t know if it was out of fear or if she had meant that to say ‘I love you’, but I knew that I was going to keep both my promises.
    I kissed her in return and left without another word.

When I entered the dark and desolate tunnel, dust from the earlier cave in was still settling. I was afraid of what I might find when I reached the place at which we left Ted buried beneath the tunnel’s fallen rubble. I found that I was hoping that I would find him alive, yet I know that the possibilities of that are extremely small. He had been a wonderful friend and had shown me that it had truly had not been his fault for what that pharmacist had almost done.
    As I came to the sight my steps slowed and I began to hold my breath. Five feet away from where it had happened there was no visible sign of anyone, or anything being buried under the rubble except for one thing, a pool of blood was forming above were Ted’s head was located. I didn’t need to get any closer.

Ted was dead.

I left the tunnel slowly with disappointment, sorrow, and the thought of how I was going to tell Vony and Clara. I finally emerged from the tunnel into the light of day and when I did, I felt weak with fatigue. I fell to the ground and here Vony run over to were I lied.
    “Ted is…”
    “Hush for now. There will be time for talk later. Right now you need to sleep.”
    With those few soothing words and her gentle touch as she placed my head upon her lap, I feel deeply asleep.
    When I awoke When I awoke, it was nearly dark. I had slept the better part of the day away. I searched the small area for signs of Vony, Clara, and Ted to find that the girls where talking in the shade of a near by tree, yet Ted was nowhere to be seen. Then the events from earlier that day struck me hard with a wave of sorrow.
    I had forgotten that my good friend lied dead in the darkness of the tunnel, only a few feet away.
    When I turned my eyes to the sky, the endless blue brought back memories of my own home and time. Back from when I had been a child lying in the grass in my backyard in early summer. It felt strange to know that the same sky that I was looking at is more than a thousand years older then the one I was use to seeing. Yet, it seemed as if time had stood still in the sky as the world below changed enormously.
    “Hello sleepy head! Did you sleep well?”
    “Why yes. Thank you for your concern Vony.” I said in return with a grim chuckle.
    “It’s all right, we know about Ted.” She called to me as she left Clara by the tree to come sit with me.
    “But how could you possibly know?!” I asked her with great pain in my heart.
    “If he had still been alive, you would have come back with him.” She answered with sorrow in her voice and tears in her eyes.
    “I am sorry that things turned out the way that they did. Ted was a great guy, and we couldn’t have done it with out him.” I said as I brought her into my arms.
    “Please, I know it is hard but we have to move on with our own destinies, after night fall we should continue to Vony’s house. Please, do not worry about me. I have seen and dealt with my fair share of deaths.” Vony told me with strength in her fearless voice.
    “Sometimes these things happen. We mourn our loss then move on. That is the way of life.”

When I heard those few simple words, I think my life was changed forever.

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

When we finally made it back to Vony’s house it was almost dawn. It felt strangely relieving that we had made it safely and without be noticed. Yet things where a bit quiet, too quiet.
    We really didn’t notice that the front door was open a bit. We walked right into the house, and into the electrifying trap behind the door.
    As soon as we where through the door, a net that was just as dangerous as the devise that had been used to capture me back when I had just arrived in this scared and dangerous time.
    We had no time to react. The net was tripped by a wire that was set at knee height and came crashing down on all three of us. Our weary screams rang out from our tired bodies. One after another we fell to our knees in tremendous pain as the electricity ran through every part of our limp bodies.
    I was the late to hit the floor, and poor Clara, the one who came to plead for peace was the first to give in to the burning tired with in. Then my own world went black.

When I awoke I was in a white room which had no windows and only one door. As I looked around the room, I saw that Vony was on the opposite side from where I was. Yet no matter where I looked, Clara was no where to be seen.
    “Vony. Vony! Are you awake?”
    “Hey, finally decided to wake up? Clara isn’t in here with us. They must have here in another room.”
    “But where are we at Vony? What is this place?”
    “Don’t you remember this place? This is where me and my people first brought you. This is where I work. They must have been expecting us. I hope Clara is okay.”
    “Why wouldn’t she be?”
    “Remember Chris, not all people are like you and me. Some people would do anything to keep the outsiders away from here and what we have worked so long towards. They fear that once we let one outsider in, that a thousand more will follow and change our peaceful way of life back to war and hatred. Do you understand?”
    “Yes I think I do.”
    At that moment the door to the room opened and a women stepped in.
    “Professor Lim Ling! What are you doing here?” I yelped in disbelief.
    “I have come to set you, my granddaughter and your little friend here free, Chris.” She told me.
    “Clara! Your all right!”
    “Yes. She is fine. I have been watching her since you all first arrived. Now, if you don’t mind me asking, how are you all doing with everything that is going on?”
    I told her every thing that there was to tell about our journey into the outsiders homelands and back into the city. About how Ted had been crushed in a cave in and about our bond that we had developed over the last few nights together.
    “I see. You have been through a lot lately. I think that you all deserve some rest before we decide what else to do from here all right?”
    “Sounds terrific to me.” Vony said with relief. “How does it sound to you guys?”
    “Wonderful.” Clara and I said in unison.
    “Good. Go home, and we will talk again on Monday. That’s three days from now. Have some fun and for goodness sake, relax.”

“Chris?”
    “Yeah?”
    “Would you like to stay at my place? I mean, you really don’t have a place of your own and all, and I just thought you would like to at lest like to have a place you could call home until this was all over.”
    “I would love to.” I answered her as softly as she had asked. As I said the words that were destined to be heard, Vony took my hand in a soft gentle gesture that I will always remember.
    It was obvious that little Clara would have to stay with us, and it would be a lot safer if we stuck together, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. That way, it seemed as if we were one big happy family, and that is exactly the way it turned out to be like.

The three days past by very quick and before we knew it, we were back in Professor Lim Ling’s office.
    “Welcome back Chris. It would appear that you have established a small family over the short amount of time.” She said with a small giggle. “I always worried about you Vony, just as your grandmother worried about your mother. We wondered it you were getting to involved with school and later in life, work, to prevent you from seeing love even if it hit you in the face. Now I see that there wasn’t anything to worry about after all.”
    She was looking at our joined hands that we held proudly out in the open. We where a couple with a story to tell and a grand future to create. We were not about ready to hide what had developed naturally over time. Yet we weren’t as close as Professor Limg Ling thought. It was as if our friendship was all that was really there.
    We played the part of mother and father well for having not done it before. This kind of thing was totally new to me. I mean, I haven’t even baby-sat before! Why on earth was I so good at it?
    “Earth to Chris!” Clara beckoned waving her hand in front of my face. “Are you there?”
    “Yes.” I replied laughing softly underneath my breath.
    “Then let’s get down to business. How would you like to precede on this complicated situation?” Professor Lim Ling asked us.
    “Well,” Clara replied, “we have to find out what is in the people’s best interest.”
    “That is a good point Clara. How do you think we should go about doing that?”
    “Well, we could have a vote.” Clara replied timidly.
    “That is a splendid idea!” Vony squealed.
    “Great! I will organize the ballots and start the voting immediately.” Concluded Professor Lim Ling.

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

We figured that we would allow the campaign go on for the remainder of the following week. It hand taken up a full week to organize the whole ordeal. Now that it was actually happening, it didn’t quite seem possible.
    We relaxed and found that it was fun being around each other all the time. We never fought and we always seemed to agree, and when we didn’t, we would work it out to where everyone would be satisfied and happy.
    As soon as the campaign started, it seemed to end. The ballots when in and results where being counted. You are probably wondering what was on the ballot in the first place. Well allow me to tell you.
    We had to go through a group of selected people that were given the chance to come up with different ways to decide fairly whether or not the outsiders should be allowed to return to the city.
    They each wrote down their thoughts on the matter and discussed whether or not their choices where fair. They finally decided on three interesting choices. They where:
    1. Allow them to retune with out any problems.
    2. Have them pay a fee to return.
    The last one struck Clara, Vony and I hard.
    3. They would have to win a battle to be admitted with out any further hesitation.

After the votes where counted, what I had feared the most came true. The majority of the city people chose choice number three. The outsiders would have to fight for their right to return and win.
    “How are we supposed to make sure that no lives are lost in this battle Vony?”
    “Chris, you must remember that you are no longer in your time, and that you are in a much more advanced time compared to your own. We have lasers in which are made to either stun or kill and are set by a coded dial. Their is only one way to change the settings, and that’s by knowing the code.”
    That was what I was afraid of.

Clara was sent back with the outcome for the outsiders. She was not traveling alone for she was with Professor Lim Ling. Yet I still worried about their safety with all the traps that could possibly be out there.
    Vony was a great help during the time that Clara was gone. She was always finding ways to keep me occupied so that my mind wouldn’t stray. She took me to the local mall where we met up with some of her friends from work. She also took me to the movies, and if people think that the graphics we see in my time are cool, then they would die if they saw this. It was all computer animated! There were no real people in the movie! Yet it seemed so real!
    Vony didn’t understand why I was so enthusiastic about the movie. She thought it had been boring. I will admit, it could have been way better in the script anyway, but not with the graphics.
    We talked about the only good parts on the way home. When we arrived at the house, we found a wonderful surprise. Clara had returned with not only Professor Lim Ling, but her father too.
    “Peter! It is nice to see you again.” Vony called out from the doorway.
    “It is nice actually be allowed into the city, rather than trying to sneak in.” he said.
    “Mr. Grimson has come to agree with the cities proposal. He will only be here for the day, but that time will be taken up with meetings. We really must be on our way now. We will see you tonight. If you will follow me sir?” she asked looking at Peter.
    “After you.” He said gesturing politely.
    “Bye daddy! See you tonight!”
    “Bye sweetie! Be good!”
    “I will!”

It was almost midnight when the professor and Peter came back home with the news. The battle was to begin in three days time with count down starting at midnight. If Peter didn’t have his people here by the third day, then the people of the city have the right to declare victory. Yet there is also a way for the outsiders to win with out a fight too. If the outsiders do not make by the dead line do to traps set down to keep them away, they will be allowed to enter freely.
    Then he was fast asleep on the floor next to the couch where his daughter lie asleep.

Peter awoke before dawn and was ready to leave with the rising of the sun. Vony and I were still awake and bided our friend a safe journey home. His kissed his daughter, who was still sound asleep on the couch, softly on the cheek.
    “Good bye my friends. Please watch over Clara for me? I will be back before dawn on the final day with my people close pursuit. Do not fear, I will be here.”
    With out any further words, Peter was gone.

“Daddy?” Clara murmured as she began to wake.
    “He has already left honey. I’m sorry, it’s just that--”
    “He didn’t want to wake me. I know, he has gone hunting for three or four days at a time without waking me to say good bye. I am used to it.”
    “He will be back in three days time before dawn with your people. He told us to watch over you until he returns.”
    “I know that there is a battle coming up soon. Promise me that no one will get hurt?” Clara asked with pleading eyes.
    “I cannot promise you that Clara, because there may be minor injuries to those who have be stunned in the battle. That is why I will be there. I the assigned doctor for the end of the battle. Don’t worry no one should be seriously hurt, all right?”
    “All right.”
    It seemed to me that I wasn’t the only one worried about other peoples safety. That was only caused by the uneasiness that was growing inside me the closer we got to the fighting day.

Something terrible was going to happen.
    And there is nothing that I can do to stop it.

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Day of the Battle

I woke up this morning with a feeling of terrible dread and loneliness. Today I have been away from my family for a month, stuck in this time, knowing that today was the day that I was destined to change everyone’s lives forever.
    I just hope that today is the day that will end everyone’s turmoil and return home to my family in Las Angeles, California. Hope that somehow, some way, time is different here. That in their eyes I am still at first day of collage.
    Yet, only part of me wants to return home to life in my original time. Over the last month I have gotten used to the lifestyles and people of this time. I feel I would have to try and fit into life again, if I returned there. Yet those aren’t the only reasons, I think I have fallen in love with Vony.
    The battle is to begin at noon. Even though things don’t seem like they’re going to work out, there is still a chance that the outsiders may win. Clara is nervous about the whole thing. She is afraid that her people may fail. Vony and I are going to take her to a festival in town. There we hope to succeed in taking her mind off the whole ordeal. We only have an hour to spare.

NOON ON THE BATTLE FIELD

“Now is the time to see where destiny lies. For the outsiders have arrived just as they had promised that they would.” I announced to those that I had lived amongst as a friend and a neighbor. “Now is the test, the final opportunity for life either to change or remain as we now know it. Move out.”
    I lead the cities fighters as Peter lead his people to the battle line. I was a frightening sight. I hoped that Clara and Vony were doing all right. Then I saw Vony and I held back.
    I meet Vony half way. “I am with you on this one. Like it or not.” She told with a frown on her face.
    “Glad to have you aboard.” I said with a smile.
    I turned to face the outsiders and what I saw was interesting. They looked ready to fight with experience, yet I knew that they had none.
    ‘Their ancestors were the ones that fought with the hunger for blood in their vines. That is why me people fear what might happen if they are allowed to return to the city. Do you understand Chris?’
    ‘I think so’
    Vony had once told me of their inheritance, but I didn’t believe her until now. After a thousand years it was finally time for total peace. The ultimate goal.
    “NOW!” I yelled across the field. Sixteen fell at once, and after about twenty minutes there were only about thirty of us left standing. It was looking good for the outsiders, because most of them were outsiders.
    Then it happened, the one thing that I had feared the most, someone had set their laser to kill. I only knew that someone had done it because of the devise I wore on my belt.
    Vony had noticed to but was also unable to figure it out. All she knew was that someone was aiming their laser at me as I stood puzzled over the matter.
    She run at me at a tremendous speed screaming, “Chris, look out!!”
    She ended up pushing me out of the way and taking the burden of the blast. I turned to see who had fired the shot and noticed that it was the pharmacist that had tried to kill Clara. He had tried to kill me and in stead hit Vony.
    Vony lied still, very still, on the ground with blood seeping through the back of her dress. Crying I went and gently picked her up in my arms and held her.
    Slowly and quietly she began to speak with a pained look upon her soft, paling, features. “Chris, remember me.”
    “Hush now, save your strength. You’ll be all right.” I told her crying a little harder.
    “Chris, I’m dying. I have something I need to tell you and I wish I had only told you sooner.” She took a shaky breath and carried on. “Anyway, I love you and never forget that---” Her voice trailed off never to be finished.
    “I love you too, Vony. I promise I will never forget what you have done for these people, or you. I promise.” I whispered to her. I knew that what I told her then, she had already known.
    I gently turned to face the crowd that was formed by those that had been the bystanders in the battle and those that had been stunned. Now they saw Vony, the gorgeous girl, lying lifeless in my arms, a victim of war.
    “We must find the man who did this and make it so that he will never be able to do this again.”
    “I know were he is.” One woman said stepping into the open.
    “How could you possibly know?”
    “I am Mary Jane Ackens, his wife. I will show you to him.”
    “Thank you, but I will let you all decide what to do with him. You are now all the same. Please do what you think is right.”
    “Okay. Good luck to you in the future. Thank you for all you have done.”

As they left Professor Lim Ling appeared at my side. “Chris, you have done all you can here, go home and sleep.”
    “All right.”
    So I did.

The End of the Black Box

Epilogue

From that day on, no one fought with any kind of weapon. No one was ever going to be hurt again.
    That day when Vony was killed Professor Lim Ling told me to go home and sleep. So I had listened to her. I had returned to were I had been staying with Vony, and went inside. I went to her room and lied down upon the warm welcoming bed.
    Yet, when I woke I was not in her room or even in that time. I was home. Back in 2002 in Springton, California. My sister came bounding through the door yelling, “Chris! Get up! You don’t want to be late for your second day of school do you?”
    “I am up, I am up.” I told her with a smile. She smiled back and left the room. For a moment I thought it had all been a terrible dream, a nightmare. I was happy to be home. Anyway I hope future earth is a peaceful one, being my dream true or fake.
    I stood up form my bed, and looked down at my shirt. That was when I realized that what had happened was terribly true. I will never be able to forget the ordeal that I had gone through in the future of all people. No I have not forgotten about Vony and I never will. For Vony’s blood is still on my white shirt.
    Yet Vony will live on forever in my heart and dreams.

Blog Entries
    started reading then realized would have to finish later because am almost asleep, but had to cheat and read the epilogue before snoozing (whoops! ) 'cause i like this story.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.