Page 470 of 473 FirstFirst ... 370420460465466467468469470471472473 LastLast
Results 7,036 to 7,050 of 7081

Thread: Book Title Game

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Tennyson (poem)
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    one of her kids just knocked on my door asking to borrow a shovel. as soon as I returned inside the house I realized I could have asked him if his mother has recently brought some new cats around. I think we might have talked about this before danik---I saw a cat with a kitten in the nearby brush one day quite awhile ago, and enquired to the local animal shelter to do something about them, and also to have a talk with my neighbor about her outdoor male cat who's probably doing the impregnating, and they wouldn't do it.

there are a few barns and sheds and stalls and what not around, so some shelter is not too much of a problem, but getting food has to be tough for any homeless cats around.

lady chatterly's lover by dh Lawrence, which is supposed to have been quite controversial and scandalous in its day. haven't read it yet though...
    If the shelter people wonīt help there is only one solution if more cats appear: to close the shelter under your house so that they canīt get into it. I suppose they will disappear anyway as soon as the weather gets warmer.

I read Lady Chatterlyīs Lover but for current times, there isnīt anything shocking there.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

I went back out yesterday and asked one of the kids if they've been getting more cats. he said something like "yeah we have a lot of cats." I don't know why they come down to my house at all actually. it cant be just for shelter. its a mystery. now that im thinking about it, im pretty confident that my homeless cat spritzer originally came from them.

did Lady Chatterly expose a bare ankle to her lover in public??

portrait of a lady by henry James.

Blog Entries
    You can try finding out how many cats are there. They may be out for food. But I donīt see what you can do about it unless the cats are actually starving. By calling the shelter you may solve your cat problem but create a neighbor problem, specially if there are men in the house. And shelter cats get killed if they are not adopted.

Oh, I only remember some garden scenes were Lady Chatterly and her lover exposed much more than an ankle. But I donīt think they met in public. Lady Cīs husband was an invalide and the lover was the gardener.

Loved the Portrait of a Lady

The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man -James Joyce

there are at least two new cats ive noticed, on top of two they already have. so far as it goes, the shelter here is a no kill shelter, which I think is good. I don't think they are starving but I do bet they are hungry. the one that got spritzer pregnant last year was here much every day eating the food I put out for her. I started putting out food for him too thinking he was also homeless, until I figured out he belonged to my neighbor.

don't get me started on the goats, pigs, horses, dogs, ducks, chickens, cow, music that's too loud, kids in my yard, junk vehicles parked by the road, denuded trees, spots of wrecked fence, and garbage.

ohhh, I don't like that lady chatterly cheated on her husband!

I think I read portrait of a lady. I suspect that's another book that has a gendered appeal to it. I would have read it because its a classic and I was supposed to, and its good for me, so to speak.

portrait of the artist as a young dog by Dylan Thomas.
    Last edited by bounty; 03-12-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Tennyson (poem)
    danik, I don't know if the lyrics are the same as the poem, but if you are adventurous, hunt up the song of the same name by loreena mckennitt. I think you will like it.

and if you liked that one, lemme encourage you to try her the dark night of the soul.

still, portrait of the artist as a young dog by Dylan Thomas.

Blog Entries
    The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Lol, was going to post that one!

Ok, Bounty, enough off cats. One last question. Do you know what happened to Spritzerīs kittens?

The Picture Bride by Lee Geum-yi

Blog Entries
    Yes, the song uses Tennyson 's poem.A beautiful rendering and the singer couldn't be better chosen. Tomorrow when I'm on PC I'll share the link.

I kept them in my house for a large handful of weeks until they were old enough to move on. then i took them to a way too busy cat rescue place about a 100 miles away and left a large donation to help defray the cost of their shots and spaying/neutering. while they were waiting for that, they were to be fostered by a local family. i tried communicating with the place about who was specifically fostering them because i wanted to help support the effort financially, but they didnt tell me after the first time i asked, and didnt respond to me at all after the second time i asked. i had named them---sprite, fluffy, cubby, alice and harriet, and i felt like a monster and cried like heck when i gave them away.

am glad you liked loreena mckennitt.

the princess bride by William goldman, the book that inspired the all time great movie of the same name that is one of tailor's favorites, even though there are no zombies and its not a musical!

Blog Entries
    Lol !

Saint Bride and her Book (Birgitta of Sweden's Revelations) - translated by Julia Bolton Holloway
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    I kept them in my house for a large handful of weeks until they were old enough to move on. then i took them to a way too busy cat rescue place about a 100 miles away and left a large donation to help defray the cost of their shots and spaying/neutering. while they were waiting for that, they were to be fostered by a local family. i tried communicating with the place about who was specifically fostering them because i wanted to help support the effort financially, but they didnt tell me after the first time i asked, and didnt respond to me at all after the second time i asked. i had named them---sprite, fluffy, cubby, alice and harriet, and i felt like a monster and cried like heck when i gave them away.

am glad you liked loreena mckennitt.

the princess bride by William goldman, the book that inspired the all time great movie of the same name that is one of tailor's favorites, even though there are no zombies and its not a musical!
    Bounty, I am quite sure that these so well cared for kittens soon found new homes. About the attitude of the shelter, I think that many of the people that bring cats to a shelter do it with a heavy heart, because they cannot keep them. And they want to help and know if they have got a new home. If the shelter people were nicer they would have a lot of extra work speaking with all the people. I fully understand, that you don't want to live that experience again.
    The Book of Unrest Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries
    So, as promised, here is The Lady of Shalott, a bit out of place for those that donīt know the ballad:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lore...id:GJHA8uzvXS0

And here is the poem by Tennyson:
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...f-shalott-1832

Last addition to the game: The Book of Unrest by Fernando Pessoa
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-15-2023 at 08:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Loreena McKennitt - delightful voice. Tried to listen and read the poem at the same time but no joy... lovely poem too

Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement in the World Came into Being and Why No One Saw It Coming - Paul Hawken
    tailor

would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    It seems the poem had to be a bit adapted to fit the music.

Brave New World-Aldous Huxley,