Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished, but no reason to skip meals

0 0%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

0 0%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream

1 100.00%

Thread: The bad girl by Mario Vargas Llosa

The bad girl by Mario Vargas Llosa

The bad girl by Mario Vargas Llosa

The plot of the story is quite similar to Flaubert's Madame Bovary: good, well mannered boy falls madly in love for the attractive new girl, who treats him with cruelty and keeps abandoning him exactly when he thinks his dreams will come true.

Ricardo's love for the bad girl, whose identity changes with each move to a new country, verges on obsession though he's forever forgiving her for all the countless times she disappears from his life, a perpetual occurance which begins in the 1950s in Peru and ends in France in the 90s.
    His work as a translator in Paris is the only way he can sometimes escape the bad girl's lies, though he knows he can never forget her.

Throughout the book, you always question why the bad girl deserts Ricardo for wealthier men, only to come back to him, seemingly out of spite but maybe, ultimately out of love.

10/10!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I haven't read that one, but I have read Death In The Andes by Llosa and it was outstanding. Here: http://www.amazon.com/Death-Andes-Ma.../dp/0374140014. Llosa should be on a short list for Nobel prize.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Virgil, thanks for the link. I'm now trying to find more books by Llosa and I might actually try the one you suggested

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain