Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Death of a Salesman Discussion

You can't blame him because he is everyone. He is every American, every would-be parvenu, every person who tries to own his house. You cannot blame him, because you are him. He is everyone.

I disagree. Loman's downfall is a result of his inability to accept his limitations and the limitations of those around him. He views any disagreement of opinion or piece of advice as an insult and refuses to recognize the love that people around him try to give. While I also disagree that Loman represents everyman, I agree that he represents the common man who has struggled for success and failed to find it and in that respect, it seems that Arthur Miller is making a commentary on those that narcissisticly impose their value system on others while refusing to accept the failures of that value system and accept responsibilty for their own self destruction.

Cusom user title #1238739 raptorfan's Avatar

Death of salesman help

Hello ya i'm new here
    im not really big on liturature so you probably won't see me around.
    Ok so for my english class, I have to debate a topic for death of a salesman
    the topic is "Biff is the product of his fathers influence." I am against this.
    I have few points that I cna use so i need your help with that
    thanks

Death of a Salesman

I'm supposed to write a research essay on the play and I need a few more ideas. Here's the prompt:

While many plays are relevant only for the time and place in which they are produced, Death of a Salesman has a universal appeal that transcends time and place. Identify those qualities in this play that give it is universality.
    Also I'm looking for good papers relevant to this topic for citation so if anyone has any, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-v.b.

This is great stuff. Thanks a lot man.

Help on death of a salesman

Hello guys,i need help...
    I need to do a theatre poster for death of a salesman play
    so i suppose to create a. a different but appropiate title
    b. a symbol or image that captures the heart of the play
    c. An effective slogan (6wordsmaximum) that connects to an essential theme or features

so i have thought the title: Pride,Caution!!
    slogan: pride goes before a fall
    image is falling leaves on autumn

what do you guys think of my title, appropiate?slogan,effective?and the image?i need a suggestion to improve on it...pls help me!!

thanks!!

nobody said it was easy barbara0207's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, gloew!

As for your slogan/title:
    I don't think Death of a Salesman is basically about pride that leads to your downfall. That sounds much too moralistic. It is rather about the American Dream gone wrong. Willy Loman firmly believes in the American Dream, especially in the Protestant work ethic: If you work hard, you will be successful. As he works hard and is not successful he has to live a lie - pretending things (for the benefit of his family) which must be true although they are not because otherwise his system of values and beliefs would be shattered.

Of course there is more to the play, I just tried to express the essentials in a simple way. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by barbara0207; 05-18-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    O schaurig ists übers Moor zu gehn,
    wenn es wimmelt vom Heiderauche,
    sich wie Phantome die Dünste drehn
    und die Ranke häkelt am Strauche.

Annette von Droste-Hülshoff (1797 - 1843) (see avatar) Der Knabe im Moor/The Lad in the Moor

Quote Originally Posted by gloew View Post
    Hello guys,i need help...
    I need to do a theatre poster for death of a salesman play
    so i suppose to create a. a different but appropiate title
    b. a symbol or image that captures the heart of the play
    c. An effective slogan (6wordsmaximum) that connects to an essential theme or features

so i have thought the title: Pride,Caution!!
    slogan: pride goes before a fall
    image is falling leaves on autumn

what do you guys think of my title, appropiate?slogan,effective?and the image?i need a suggestion to improve on it...pls help me!!

thanks!!
    You probably want a slogan about delusion and age. use the passage where willy's talking about the guy who died 'the death of a salesman'. or:

A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory.

He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine.

These are quotes from the play.

I dunno about a title but you could do a silhouette of willy for the poster.

Hard Deal?
    Final Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    You probably want a slogan about delusion and age. use the passage where willy's talking about the guy who died 'the death of a salesman'. or:

A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory.

He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine.

These are quotes from the play.

I dunno about a title but you could do a silhouette of willy for the poster.

Hard Deal?
    Final Deal?
    I would also include Willy in the poster, probably a combination of the two ideas. Willy's silhouette with falling leaves all around probably.

As for the slogan what about "when dreams go bad, what is left for a salesman to sell?" Too melodramatic or resembling a cliche? I think it's what a slogan is about, though. Kelby lake's ideas and quotations from the play seem quite interesting, too.

Good Luck

Thanks for u guys' help
    btw,kelby_lake,, i have thought of using ur suggestion-final deal?
    but how abt slogan?a nightmare of american dream or The american dream pursuits turned nightmare?

can the title go along with the slogan? as for the play's characters,should i use casting or starring better?

Hello Chester,

can u help me with my slogan?im urgently need the slogan?a nightmare of american dream or American dream pursuit turns to nightmare,is it suitable?
    Last edited by gloew; 05-18-2008 at 09:32 AM.

maybe just 'the american nightmare'. because willy gets dementia and can't work etc...

How about: "American dream achieved...at a cost"?

but did he ever achieve it?

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    but did he ever achieve it?
    Absolutely. Why else doesn’t Linda cry?

Willie sees life and success after the suicide - for “Biff and I”. An elated Willy dies setting Biff up for life, achieving at last ‘The Dream’, for which an intuitive Linda is thankful. Since Willy couldn’t see suicide as final, Linda keeps expecting him home but struggles with the cruel paradox: success through suicide, life inside death...and so cannot cry. Hence her wistful repetition of “We’ve free…”. Willie is free in every sense.

Sadly, Willie is the only winner because Biff needs a dad; Linda, a husband; and Happy, a dream.

A great play.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234