Thread: Ian McEwan

Ian McEwan

This guy has been giving me even more difficulty than Paulo Coelho in deciding if his literature is truly 'great' or even 'good'. Whilst I thought Atonement was truly excellent and I enjoyed Enduring Love, I found Amsterdam and Saturday to be average at best. The narratives lacked any sort of pace or imperative, they seemed to comply to high-class stereotypes -in that the rich and succesful are boring- and yet place these people as protragonist. Despite this, the media seem to etime him. So, Ian McEwan; brilliant novelist, average novelist or a failed attempt at enduring literature?
    Out, out, brief candle!

He is a meh author. Not bad, but not Saramago. If it was between him and Nora Roberts, I would choose him, but if it was him or Cormac McCarthy, I wouldn't even need to think.

I wouldn't call him "brilliant", but I think he has something to offer. In my opinion, there's no comparison betweem him and Coelho. I loved Atonement, I thought Saturday was very good, but I expected something better. I didn't like On Chesil Beach, I just didn't "discover" any deeper meaning in it. Amsterdam was good, in my opinion, I didn't like The Cement Garden at all, but I remember I enjoyed Black Dogs when we read it in University. Overall, I think he is a very good writer, I really like his writing, and his descriptions, but I don't consider his books as masterpieces. After all, this is a difficult characterization.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

I have only read Saturday, and I definitely found it to be average. It was not bad, and it had some interesting parts, but not gripping or great or special.

I had almost read another book of his and decided not to because of my impressions of Saturday. So it's good for me to see this discussion. I will give Atonement a try sometime, since people seem to agree that it's better.

I didn't enjoy Saturday, I found it mediocre at best. Enduring Love while well-written was not my cup of tea, I didn't like the central character and so felt removed from the narrative. I've just finished Amsterdam and while I was initially really enjoying it, I found the ending facile.

On the other hand, I LOVED On Chesil Beach - even though I read it on my honeymoon!!! I thought it was very controlled and extremely moving.

I actually thought I liked Ian McEwan until I started writing this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by betzen View Post
    I have only read Saturday, and I definitely found it to be average. It was not bad, and it had some interesting parts, but not gripping or great or special.

I had almost read another book of his and decided not to because of my impressions of Saturday. So it's good for me to see this discussion. I will give Atonement a try sometime, since people seem to agree that it's better.
    I read Saturday and found it a little bit above average. I saw Atonment at the movies I had been half hearted about reading the book but I don't think that I now after reading these posts

Blog Entries
    In all honestly, having only read 1 and a half of his books - I can't really make a descision yet.
    Going off atonement, I would say he is brilliant because that is one incredible book. I'm currently half way through On Chesil Beach and am finding in rather enjoyable albiet a little awkward at points.
    Any recommendations as to what McEwan books I should read next?
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Please don't compare a writer like McEwan to a money-making quack like Coelho... it makes my heart ache...

I agree that some of McEwan's works, such as "Enduring Love" and "On Chesil Beach", are good but not great. However, a man who is capable of writing a book full of the wistful beauty and profound insight of "Atonement" just has to be a great writer...
    Last edited by Pecksie; 05-12-2008 at 08:29 AM.

I've read AMSTERDAM and thought... ok, but not much else and according to amazon reviews and those of other critics, many are sort of confused why it won the Booker Prize over some other works of his.

I've read some of ATONEMENT but haven't really started it yet, but very soon I think.

Now I will say that personally I've read his short story collection FIRST LOVE, LAST RITES and found it to be just beautiful.