Thread: Difficulties in Reading the Importance of Being Earnest (4-act version)

Post Difficulties in Reading the Importance of Being Earnest (4-act version)

Difficulties in Reading the Importance of Being Earnest (4-act version)

Need help. When reading through the Original 4-act play of The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, I was baffled by some lines, the meaning of which I can’t quite make out. Please help me.

I.
    Jack: [very irritable indeed, to Algernon] Good heavens! And what nonsense are you reading, Algy? [Takes book from him] The Army List? Well, I don’t suppose you knew it was the Army List. And you’ve got it open at the wrong page. Besides, there is the thing staring you in the face. M. Generals … Mallam – what ghastly names they have – Markby……(Act IV)

What does “Besides, there is the thing staring you in the face” mean? Does “the thing” allude to Cecily, and thus the line means “besides, Cecily is staring you in the face”? Or is it a set-phrase of something?

II.

Lady Bracknell: That is not the destiny I propose for Gwendolen. Algernon, of course, can choose for himself. [Pulls out her watch] Come, dear, we have already missed five, if not six, trains. To miss any more might expose us to comment on the platform.

By “To miss any more might expose us to comment on the platform”, does the author mean “leave them to be commented or humiliated by others on the platform” or “leave them on the platform complaining in vain”?

III.

ALGERNON: My departure will not long be delayed. I have come to bid you good-bye, Miss Cardew. I am informed that a dog-cart has been already ordered for me. I have no option but to go back again into the cold world.
    CECILY: I hardly know, Mr. Worthing, what you can mean by using such an expression. The day, even for the month of July, is unusually warm.
    MISS PRISM: Profligacy is apt to dull the senses.
    ALGERNON: No doubt. I am far from defending the weather. I think, however, that it is only my duty to mention to you, Miss Prism, that Dr Chasuble is expecting you in the vestry.

Here, does “I am far from defending the weather” mean “I’m far from dull in sensing the weather” or does “defending” here simply mean defend in sense of protection?

IV.

What is a “Novel with a purpose”? Does it refer to any meaningful novel in broad sense or does it refer to motivating or inspiring ones?

V.

In Act IV, when everyone is skimming books to find out Jack’s Christian name, Jack didn’t assign Gwendolen any book, saying that “Gwendolen—no, it would agitate you too much. Leave these researches to less philosophic natures like ours.” What does “Philosophic natures” mean?

Looking forward to your opinions, thanks very much.

As to the question no.2: Lady Bracknell is very sensitive to manners and keeping up appearances, so she is afraid that they would become an object of some comments at the platform and draw attention.

As to your question about the weather, in the paragraph you quoted, "defending" is simply "defending". Cecily says that she thinks the weather is nice, but - so to say - she doesn't want to "take the side" of the weather.

I can't help you with other questions - sorry

Hi there.
    Interesting read.

I think what Jack means is that there is no need to check the Army List because the names- M. Generals … Mallam and Markby - of the army people are a clear indication that they beleong to the Army.

Hence - the thing is starring you in the face- meanings you can tell someone is in the army by their names.

Lady Bracknell: That is not the destiny I propose for Gwendolen. Algernon, of course, can choose for
    himself. [Pulls out her watch] Come, dear, we have already missed five, if not six, trains. To miss any more might expose us to comment on the platform
    I think I am not sure it is do with commenting on the destiny Gwendolen and Algernon.
    And so what she means is that they miss anymore trains they will just end up talking about more whilst on the platform which might expose their comments to the public.
    Ie she does not wish to talk about it outside whilts waiting for more trains.

ALGERNON: My departure will not long be delayed. I have come to bid you good-bye, Miss Cardew. I am informed that a dog-cart has been already ordered for me. I have no option but to go back again into the cold world.
    CECILY: I hardly know, Mr. Worthing, what you can mean by using such an expression. The day, even for the month of July, is unusually warm.
    MISS PRISM: Profligacy is apt to dull the senses.
    ALGERNON: No doubt. I am far from defending the weather. I think, however, that it is only my duty to mention to you, Miss Prism, that Dr Chasuble is expecting you in the vestry.
    I think the clue is in the expression itself.
    Profligacy means
    Recklessly extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources

What Ms Prism means is that Algernon reference to using a dog-cart to wonder into the Cold World whilst it is the middle of July is extravagantly wasteful since it is warm.

And so Algernoon riposte is:

''No doubt and I am far from defending the weather'' meaning he does not feel he could predict the weather because it is constantly changeable and so it might well turn cold.
    I think he is trying to excuse himself against being called a profilgate.

IV.

What is a “Novel with a purpose”? Does it refer to any meaningful novel in broad sense or does it refer to motivating or inspiring ones?
    I think here novel might be refering to novelty.
    And so for something to be of purpose and be novel at the same time it has to have a good reason for it to be called novel.

A bit like going to the moon for the first time.
    That would be called a novel idea with the sole purpose of exploring space but whether that is purposeful or not remains to be seen.

V.

In Act IV, when everyone is skimming books to find out Jack’s Christian name, Jack didn’t assign Gwendolen any book, saying that “Gwendolen—no, it would agitate you too much. Leave these researches to less philosophic natures like ours.” What does “Philosophic natures” mean?
    Ithink it is about John Ernest Worthing adopting the Alias name Jack. As you know there is a made up story about Jack/Ernest pretending to have a fake brother in town or something along the lines.
    JAck does not want Gwendolen to know about it.
    PHilosophical nature meaning questioning thing.

See this:

Algernon accuses Jack of behaving as though he were already married to Gwendolen. He reminds Jack he isn’t yet engaged to her and says he doubts he ever will be. Surprised, Jack asks what Algernon means. Algernon reminds Jack that Gwendolen is his first cousin and tells him that before he gives his consent to the union, Jack “will have to clear up the whole question of Cecily.” Jack professes bewilderment and says he doesn’t know anyone named Cecily. By way of explanation, Algernon asks Lane to find “that cigarette case Mr. Worthing left in the smoking room the last time he dined here.”

The cigarette case, when it arrives, causes Jack some consternation and Algernon much glee. Jack seems to have forgotten that the case bears an inscription from “little Cecily” to “her dear Uncle Jack.” Algernon forces Jack to explain what the inscription means, and Jack admits his name isn’t really Ernest at all—it’s Jack. Algernon pretends to be incensed and disbelieving. He points out that Jack has always introduced himself as Ernest, that he answers to the name Ernest, that he even looks as though his name were Ernest. He pulls out one of Jack’s visiting cards and shows him the name and address on it, saying he intends to keep the card as proof that Jack’s name is Ernest. With some embarrassment, Jack explains that his name is “Ernest in town and Jack in the country.”
    Last edited by cacian; 08-28-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly