Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How are litnetters at driving?

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How are litnetters at driving?

Ok, so I got pulled over today, for the first time. I was doing 48 in a 35 zone. I feel so stupid. I was so freaked out, I was shaking like a leaf. And I was in someone else's car (not stolen ) so I couldn't find the car registration. I was a mess. Oh well, it turned out ok, he let me off. No ticket, woohoo for that. I know I'm not that great of a driver, but I usually stay with 10 mph of the speed limit.
    So anyway, how are you guys at driving? Too fast? Too slow? Any tickets?
    Last edited by Weisinheimer; 04-30-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Calvin: You canít just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

Blog Entries
    You've got to be more carefull W. I bet you batted your female eyes at him and he just melted and decided not to give you the ticket. In the 25 years or so as a driver I've only gotten a couple (maybe three) of tickets. I don't usually drive fast, unless there is something urgent. The last one I got was about six months ago. The highway was backed up almost to a standstill, and I needed to get off the next exit. So I drove on the shoulder for about 50 yards and there at the end was a cop just waiting for someone to do that. Bastard.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." Ė St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

If you are talking about games such as Need for Speed or GTA Vice City or any racing games, then I think I drive quite well. Much better than I have seen many people driving, while playing these games. Now if you talk about these bigger, less-virtual, more real cars, then I have got my opinion reserved for them until I learn to drive them.

*edit to add*

Before that, I want to re-learn how to drive (control) cycle....have got so out of touch from it. Seems like ages since I list rode on it....virtually (in games) as well as on the roads in the area I dwell.
    Last edited by Pensive; 04-30-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I got my drivers' licence 5 years ago but i almost never drove after that..i prefer using public transport and taxi cabs
    Anyway i started driving again lately and i am pretty rusty so i drive real slow and always with my bf next to me (for support)
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    You've got to be more carefull W. I bet you batted your female eyes at him and he just melted and decided not to give you the ticket.
    More like he was afraid I would break down and start crying or something.

In the 25 years or so as a driver I've only gotten a couple (maybe three) of tickets. I don't usually drive fast, unless there is something urgent. The last one I got was about six months ago. The highway was backed up almost to a standstill, and I needed to get off the next exit. So I drove on the shoulder for about 50 yards and there at the end was a cop just waiting for someone to do that. Bastard.
    Three in 25 years, that's pretty good.
    Calvin: You canít just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

lovingly in his eyes, snugly in his arms, safely in his heart...
    Well, I must boast that I am a great driver!
    I got my license 2003, and the year after I bought my first car! I've never gotten a ticket, yet, [thank God!].
    "My warm hands have made the paper limp,
    So that its feel reminds me of slept-in sheets: comfortable and safe"

"All these things I say... I say them because I want you to know, I don't ever want to regret afterwards that I didn't say enough, I would rather say too much." ~ Samuel Selvon

Blog Entries
    I never got a ticket. I am just a paragon of good driving
    It might have something to do with the speed cameras only able to register up to a certain speed. My UFO is way faster than the fasted cop too. And there are the license plates are registered on Mars, not Earth.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Blog Entries
    How many people can say they got a ticket for going thru a green light ? Oh wait a minute, I did!!! Yep thats right. I made a right turn on a green light and got pulled over. The officer asked me do I know why I got pulled over. I said no. He said put your right blinker on. I did. He then said you were pulled over because you didn't have your blinker on. He then proceeded to give me a ticket and told me I can fight it in court.
    I don't care what anyone says but I truly believe cops have a quota that they need to fill at the end of every month and when I got mine it was the end of the month. That has been the only ticket I ever got in my 30+ years of driving.
    What Are You Crazy!!!

I never got any ticket, but I've not been driving for many years. I like driving but not downtown because I'm always scared of making a mistake with all those narrow streets...

Oh, in France there are policemen whose job is actually to arrest...the good drivers!! They arrest the drivers who make no errors and they reward them with 100 euros!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    How many people can say they got a ticket for going thru a green light ? Oh wait a minute, I did!!! Yep thats right. I made a right turn on a green light and got pulled over. The officer asked me do I know why I got pulled over. I said no. He said put your right blinker on. I did. He then said you were pulled over because you didn't have your blinker on. He then proceeded to give me a ticket and told me I can fight it in court.
    I don't care what anyone says but I truly believe cops have a quota that they need to fill at the end of every month and when I got mine it was the end of the month. That has been the only ticket I ever got in my 30+ years of driving.
    Green light? Is it forbidden in some countries? Poor poor.
    I think % 70 or more of tickets in my area given because of wrong parking.

Anyway this quota gossip always said in my country too. And statistically, it may be true.
    "an artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it." paul valery

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    He ruined your perfect record.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweets America View Post
    Oh, in France there are policemen whose job is actually to arrest...the good drivers!! They arrest the drivers who make no errors and they reward them with 100 euros!
    How does that work Sweets? How do they know someone is a good driver? People with good driving records have cheaper insurance in the US. But you build up to that record.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." Ė St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

I have yet to get a ticket. ***fingers crossed that I never will*** I know that I am a pretty good driver. I am very cautious and very aware of what is going on around me. I do admit that I tend to drive over the speed limit (only about 5 mph, though). There are those times when I have gone 10, but few and far between. There was generally a reason for that, and I would only do this is an area where I know the police wouldn't be. That is a rare situation for me to be in. It would be on the highway. I always use my turn signal. Maybe because people who don't use it just annoy me and I want to make sure that I do the right thing. Still, I know that I am (for the most part - ignoring the speed thing ) a good driver and I am very proud to boast about it!

Blog Entries
    I'm scared to even learn driving the streets here in Cairo are impossible to drive in. I'm daily stuck in traffic for 30-45 minutes. I can't imagine being the driver though, cuz at least when I'm the passenger I get to read or anything...but being the driver I'll end up dead in my seat.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    How does that work Sweets? How do they know someone is a good driver? People with good driving records have cheaper insurance in the US. But you build up to that record.
    It is only in one region of France actually, and I saw that apparently it was only last summer that they did so. They only had a limited amount of money to offer and they followed drivers by chance and if the driver did not do anything wrong for 20 minutes and if his/her car was in good state, he/she received the reward. So really, this is not absolutely fair because the driver could make a mistake just after the 20 minutes, but that was just symbolic, you see? Nothing really scientific about measuring who's a good driver.

EDIT: about fines, you should ask Prince, he's an expert in that, he gets a ticket almost everyday!

Blog Entries
    I remember one time when my husband and I were on vacation and we were driving along and all of a sudden we get pulled over. I can't remember where we were but I thought "oh S--T!!. The cop then asked my husband for his drivers license. When the cop realized where my husband was from, he started asking about the old neighborhood and luckily we got off with only a warning. Good old New York saved us that day from getting a ticket.
    What Are You Crazy!!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast