Thread: why did Eveline decide to stay in Dublin?

Smile why did Eveline decide to stay in Dublin?

We've just read Eveline by Joyce.and I just though to ask your opinion.

If you don't know, I'm afraid you really don't understand the story. The thing needs to be read in context, and therefore you need a thorough understanding of the role of women in the society of the time, in addition to the concept of family unit, and the responsibility put on Eveline by her mother to stay and take care of the family.

ok, thanks, actually i meant to hear your opinion.
    we have discussed it, so i got my point of view on this question, but i thought perhaps i have missed something. thats why i asked this question.
    anyway thanks =)

she stayed at home because she felt she had a duty to her family. she chose duty over desire.

I found, as with many Joyce stories, it is a question of moral paralysis. She had this epiphany to go with this guy, and her life would be a lot better, after living a rather boring and dreary life in Dublin. However, as with many of Joyce's Dubliners characters, they have these moral epiphanies and suddenly see a different choice to take in life, sometimes for the better, but they refuse, choosing the mundane, usual road they travel and the life they are used to, over this new, different, and probably better path in life.

That is why Dubliners is seen to be pretty dreary and depressive, Joyce's characters are paralyzed by their moral dilemmas and see no way to take a better walk of life.

That's just my opinion. The guy is seen to be this better path in life, and that she should go with him, but she can't, because she is tied down and indeed paralyzed by the moral dilemma within herself over her indecisiveness. So, she takes the safe option, and stays home.
    Currently Reading:

The Marriage Plot - Jeffrey Eugenides
    Neon Genesis Evangelion: Volume 1 - Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
    Song for Night - Chris Abani

If you read it carefully, you actually don't know that she does.

"A bell clanged upon her heart. She felt him seize her hand:

"Come!"

All the seas of the world tumbled about her heart. He was drawing her into them: he would drown her. She gripped with both hands at the iron railing.

"Come!"

No! No! No! It was impossible. Her hands clutched the iron in frenzy. Amid the seas she sent a cry of anguish.

"Eveline! Evvy!"

He rushed beyond the barrier and called to her to follow. He was shouted at to go on but he still called to her. She set her white face to him, passive, like a helpless animal. Her eyes gave him no sign of love or farewell or recognition.
    It never says a name. It is possible that she went with her lover. Because, it could be that the man she's looking at, calling for her, is her father. It's wonderfully, Joycean-ly ambiguous.

Hugh Kenner has suggested that the ship that Eveline is supposed to have departed on never actually sailed to Buenos Aires. That seems perfectly coincidental at first, until you consider the fact that Joyce researched EVERYTHING. The ship she intended to board actually only sailed to Liverpool...