Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How.. .do you read at night

How.. .do you read at night

k... here it goes.

I live in studio apartment and I love to read at night. My main problem is finding lighting that won't disturb my husband while he sleeps.

I have tried the little book lights, led lights etc. The few book lights I have tried are either too heavy for paperbacks, constantly have to adjust them every couple of pages or so, or produce too much glare.

The lamps that I have tried are great for reading in the daytime. But again, the carry over ambience generally will wake my husband if he rolls over to face the direction of the light.

So.. here is my question.. Where, when, and how do you all read at night with out disturbing other? Thanks in advance for the suggestions

I have a small desk lamp type light on my bedside table.
    Last edited by papayahed; 04-23-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I have a lamp that connects onto my bedside table, so I usually use that and read for about an hour to two hours before bed. It's the only time I have to read, so I try to use it as economically advantageous as I can. Since my Dad is now sleeping in my room on a mattress with some sheets at the foot of my bed, I now usually use a book light so I don't disturb him. He needs his sleep.
    Currently Reading:

The Marriage Plot - Jeffrey Eugenides
    Neon Genesis Evangelion: Volume 1 - Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
    Song for Night - Chris Abani

Blog Entries
    When I don't want to disturb my wife, I use a flashlight.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Try reading in the bathroom.

EDIT: Better yet, try audio books.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    I read in the bathroom! Sometimes I get out a fluffy towel and place it on the floor and have a camp-out.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Blog Entries
    I curl up in an armchair in my brothers room which is currently my den while hes in Austrailia, and read, with a shawl thrown over my shoulders.
    Or i sit in my bed with a lamp on.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

I have one of these. It is strong enough to light the page but not strong enough to disturb anyone else.

At times of dire-needs, I use one of these as well:

The fluorescent lamp is not as bright as the regular bulbs (also some strategic positioning also helps).
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

http://almatrafij.blogspo HerGuardian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i usually use some txt files and put them on my mobile and read at night

i try not to use paper books

so i don't disturb my wife
    MY BLOG

We won't meet again
    Wish you and him the best of everything

Reading some of Ibsen's plays

Quote Originally Posted by HerGuardian View Post
    i usually use some txt files and put them on my mobile and read at night

i try not to use paper books

so i don't disturb my wife
    I really appreciate everyone's help... The one book lite that was pictured, was the one that I purchased, but it was too heavy for my paperbacks. And for my hard covers, it didn't have enough clearence (picky, yes, I know )

This kind of touches on a second train of thought. I have been thinking bout the e-books from Amazon and Sony. But, me being the old fashioned person I am.. like the feel of a book in my hands.. the paper crunching between my fingers. The clutter on my nightstand and my bookshelves.

Plus.. from what I have seen, not all of the modern books are available on the e-books. While I don't have to rely soley on this method for reading, for the price they are asking for these puppies... I would almost want to use it exclusively. While this does stray somewhat from my original question.. Has anyone tried them? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks

I need no particular ambiance and anywhere I can sit and read. No particular bed or anything or light for that matter.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

closed
    Read in the living room.

When I was a child my parents passed onto me the habit that I don't read in bedroom (even though for several years I did do that, more out of spite than anything else, probably in that period of my life when I rejected everything they taught me ), which is an amazing thing - bedroom is a place to sleep and rest, and to only sleep and rest, as I was taught. Sort of your own little temple dedicated to one purpose only, without too much things inside (technology, books, etc), if the size of your apartment permits that. So, if you can, read in another room - that way you won't disturb the person you share room with at all, and will do them a favour, because everything affects the quality of sleep, even little light and your constant turning of pages - not drastically, but it affects. Let them sleep and you nicely read in another room.

EDIT: Not also you affect the quality of their sleep, but also the quality of your own reading, especially considering the eyes... Reading with minimum light as some suggested is in most cases unwholesome for the health of your eyes.
    Last edited by aabbcc; 04-26-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasija View Post
    Read in the living room.

When I was a child my parents passed onto me the habit that I don't read in bedroom (even though for several years I did do that, more out of spite than anything else, probably in that period of my life when I rejected everything they taught me ), which is an amazing thing - bedroom is a place to sleep and rest, and to only sleep and rest, as I was taught. Sort of your own little temple dedicated to one purpose only, without too much things inside (technology, books, etc), if the size of your apartment permits that. So, if you can, read in another room - that way you won't disturb the person you share room with at all, and will do them a favour, because everything affects the quality of sleep, even little light and your constant turning of pages - not drastically, but it affects. Let them sleep and you nicely read in another room.

EDIT: Not also you affect the quality of their sleep, but also the quality of your own reading, especially considering the eyes... Reading with minimum light as some suggested is in most cases unwholesome for the health of your eyes.
    Not read in bed? That's sacrilige.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    Try reading in the bathroom.

EDIT: Better yet, try audio books.
    Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    I read in the bathroom! Sometimes I get out a fluffy towel and place it on the floor and have a camp-out.
    Or put towels in the bath... then you can lie down and read... I do that sometimes if Im sharing a room with fussy siblings.
    kitchen floor are another suprisingly comfortable place.

Ive got one of these its great except that after about 90 minutes it gets too hot and turns off.

But the best solution is invest in some of these
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Not read in bed? That's sacrilige.
    No in my bedroom, no. But I do read in my living room / bibliotheque, where it's pretty comfortable to read. I have very comfortable couch and armchairs there, as well as desk and working place if I wish to read "properly". But mostly I indulge myself so I read curled up in one of the armchairs, with a blanket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast