Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid fantasy reads

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Ive recently been reading A.Lee Martinez 's books and they are funny, Tad Williams always great, Patricia A. McKillip, some of her books are really good .
    Robin mckinley I always enjoy....
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioness_Heart View Post
    Can't remember the name of the series, but the first book is Magician by Raymond E. Fiest. They're really good if you want something slightly lotr-ish but original as well. My favourite is the second of the series, Silverthorn but he's written loads in different trilogies all based around the same world/set of characters. They don't have much in the way of a moral message, but they're well worth reading just for enjoyment.
    thats the rift war saga. Loved reading those.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I was getting into Raymond E. Feist for a while back in middle and high school - I haven't read an enormous amount of fantasy, but from what I have his works stand out the most favorably. I would recommend the three Riftwar Legacy books: Krondor: The Betrayal; The Assassins; and Tear of the Gods. Most of his books take place in the same world, and so one might do well to start with the first - Magician - but it's pretty long and I never had time to finish it. His most recent that I've read is Talon of the Silver Hawk, and I did not find it as interesting; I thus do not endorse anything he's written since then.

EDIT: Sorry - didn't see the previous Feist mentions.

Resident of Yoknapatawpha
    Quote Originally Posted by togre View Post
    I also have read some of the Dragonlance series (a while back). They are kinda second rate, but I enjoyed them. They are like potato chip--fun but not alot of substance. Worth a try.
    I totally agree. I realize they are second rate but as I said, they are very nostalgic to me (I was pretty young then), and mindlessly entertaining. A great little notch in the fantasy genre.
    "Memory believes before knowing remembers."
    --Faulkner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Geez, did I say second rate, should have said at least 6-7th rate. None of those authors are very original, and most of them lack in maturity, depth, and coherent structure. I've read parts of all of those, so I feel comfortable to comment.
    Just because you don't like them doesn't give you the right to degrade others' opinions (especially without justification). However though, I would have to agree that Calvino trumps them all IN MY OPINION - he pretty much trumps anyone for me.....and yet, I wouldn't reccomend him to someone specifically looking for fantasy.....yes, he can be called a fantasy writer but he is fare to separate from what most people term "fantasy"
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    Just because you don't like them doesn't give you the right to degrade others' opinions (especially without justification). However though, I would have to agree that Calvino trumps them all IN MY OPINION - he pretty much trumps anyone for me.....and yet, I wouldn't reccomend him to someone specifically looking for fantasy.....yes, he can be called a fantasy writer but he is fare to separate from what most people term "fantasy"
    He wasn't trumping my opinion; in fact, he provides good basis for his own, but I just disagree.

Someone recommended the The Rift War Saga to me awhile back; I should finally look into it I guess.
    Plainview: Drainage! Drainage, Eli! Drained dry, you boy! If you have a milkshake and I have a milkshake and I have a straw and my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darnay View Post
    Now, if you were to state the obvious reason for not recommending Calvino to, as you put it, "someone specifically looking for fantasy", then you would show your agreement with my speculation into the lack of depth in the majority of fantasy literature (especially those named at the beginning of the thread). He is only separate because he isn't cliché, and isn't mediocre. As I see it, the difference between Magical Realism, and fantasy, is that that the Magical Realist author knows how to write.

Quote Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
    I've had brief exposure to some of the more well-known fantasy series, but was looking to again start with some other-worldy literature.

I've either read entirely, rad in (nominal) parts, or am at l, at the least, familiar with the following (plots, characters, etc.):

'A Song of Ice and Fire' - George R.R. Martin
    'The Lord of the Rings' - J.R.R. Tolkien
    'Chronicles of Narnia' - C.S. Lewis
    'The Dark Tower' - Stephen King (someone can finally spell their ENTIRE name...)
    'The Wheel of Time' - Robert Jordan
    'Inheritance' - Christopher Paolini (ugh...)

I've spent a moment or two in my life staring at the covers of the following, but have done litle else:

'Sword of Shannara' - Terry Brooks
    'Discworld' - Terry Pratchett

I'm sure several on here will swear by one series or another; my personal favorite is George Martin's magnum opus (for reference). Any recs? Why?
    Well I agree that these are superb:

The Lord of the Rings
    Chronicles of Narnia
    The Dark Tower

I've read each several times, sure some might say that LOTR or CON are not original in todays literary environment but I think they were quite original in their time.

I've also read 90% of the discworld novels, the humour is great and some of the characters are very memorable. If you do read them I recommend you start with the earlier works and move through in roughly chronological order, you couldn't say they're a series but the world does move on through the books and some of the characters and the main city (ankh-morpork) develops over several books. If you didn't want to read them all i'd be happy to recommend specific books.

As mentioned, also worth a look is the riftwar saga by Raymond E. Feist, personally I don't rate all the books that highly but the magician (first book) is excellent, also the merchant prince is quite good. I didn't like the darkness at sethanon though but everyone else i've spoken too about the series always mentions this book first as being good - I find the plot which is made up of superlative stacked on superlative stacked on superlative quite hard to swallow. I like highs and lows in my stories.

I've read some dragonlance but i can't really recommend it wholeheartedly, there are some good books but I think you have to pick them out of the dozens of poor ones.

Finally Gene Wolfe, two books the Knight and the Wizard - Worth reading. A sort of mix of fairy tale, Norse myth, and Arthurian chivalry.

Resident of Yoknapatawpha
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I've read some dragonlance but i can't really recommend it wholeheartedly, there are some good books but I think you have to pick them out of the dozens of poor ones.
    I agree with that as well. As I said, I only really enjoyed three out of about 300...but those three, IMO, are great fantasy reads. I wouldn't go beyond those, though, because the franchise gets pretty terrible, as some people have mentioned.
    "Memory believes before knowing remembers."
    --Faulkner

Blog Entries
    How about Faust 2?
    Čłowjek je dwójny, tež sam sebi. Tysacy słowow sym kaž paćerki stykał na swoje lĕta a na kóncu spóznał, zo ani jednoho słowa njeje, kotrež by jeho w ćĕle a duši we wšej wĕrnosći wĕrnje pomjenowało.

Blog Entries
    Back when I used to read genre fiction I was very fond of Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber, and the entire Amber series in fact. I'd also recommend Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    Back when I used to read genre fiction I was very fond of Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber, and the entire Amber series in fact. I'd also recommend Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series.
    I enjoyed many pieces of the Amber series, but it was infected with the same disease that is typical of most of the fantasy sub-genre: inadequate endings. Zelazny did manage to complete the Nine Princes part, but the later novellas greatly lacked resolution. He switched from writing novels to writing a serial.

Smile

Apart from the already mentioned, I would propose the Ender's series by Orson Scott Card, although I could describe it more more as science fiction and not exactly fantasy.
    Clive Barker's and Pulman's works, as well. Pulman resembles more some of the authors you mentioned as for the worlds he describes and his style of writing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12