Think good thoughts in your mind
    You will sleep peaceful all the time

Is the use of dreams in life clear
    Relief of life’s stress fill us with cheer

One more thing before I go
    We need dreams don’t ya know

Dreams are not meant to remember
    Someone had to dream of Santa in December
    Last edited by Bruce Bradley; 05-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Heretic, Heathen, Sinner Rakthor's Avatar
    Nice poem.
    Probably belongs in the poetry section, though.
    it's been a tough fight worth fighting
    as we all drive along
    betting on another day. - Charles Bukowski

Poems are Literature

Not really it very philosophical in the points that I bring up it just in the format of a poem. Something new and it is posted there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bradley View Post
    Not really it very philosophical in the points that I bring up it just in the format of a poem.
    I don't see any philosophical points in there - it appears to be largely uninformed opinion on dreams.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bradley View Post
    Dreaming

Dreams are natural as we sleep
    Dreams are only for us to keep

Dreams happen when we worry
    Dreaming our minds into a flurry

Dreams come when we are blue
    When we wake we havn’t a clue

Wake with a thought in your mind
    Blink and it is gone never to find

Wondering where did my dream go
    This is something we’ll never know

Dreams were made to never last
    To see the future before the past

To live your life ahead of time
    Nothing short of a thinking crime

This is why dreams can’t be found
    Because it keeps things more sound

Some walk and talk in their dreams
    Others take them to the extreme

Remembering our dreams you see
    Could be chaos for you and me

You live out your dreams everyday
    Nightmares are the price to pay

They could care less if you play
    Nightmares will get you anyway

Is the price of dreams too high
    They can be changed if we try

Change our nightmares this way
    Think good thoughts before you lay

Think good thoughts in your mind
    You will sleep peaceful all the time

Is the use of dreams in life clear
    Relief of life’s stress fill us with cheer

One more thing before I go
    We need dreams don’t ya know

Dreams are not meant to remember
    Someone had to dream of Santa in December
    I think it could be an essay on dreams. poetry is miles away from poetry. your piece is interesting to read, and of course a poem is rather indirect.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

I believe that any thing that makes you think is philosophical and if the format bothers you than that a problem of your own. It shouldn't matter to anyone where it is posted because you have the ability to not read it. There is plenty of space on this site and I believe this section is my favorite so I feel I can post anything that may have content to make people think. So please stop commenting on where I posted it and think about the meaning of it and we can go from there. It is an interesting subject if you think about it.
    I know we all have dreams so why don't we share insight on them.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Bradley; 05-21-2008 at 09:07 AM.

The Sound of Silence
    I have over the past few months been keeping a record of my dreams at night (at least the ones I can remember between the time it takes me to jump up and grab a pen). Does anyone else do this? I've also been experimenting with ways of inducing different kind of dreams. As you mentioned in your poem, the things that you think about before you fall asleep can have a profound impact on what you dream. However, I've noticed a few other factors that can have just as much influence: stress (this one usually, for me at least, produces the most vivid of dreams. And i can usually recall in great detail all that the dream entailed), The time at which I eat before going to sleep, the influence of alcohol (this usually produces a rather restless sleep containing many short and uneventful dreams), physical activity during the day, and the one that produces the most fanciful of dreams, the ones where my imagination really goes to town... mental exhaustion. Whenever I work my mental faculties to the point where my brain feels like a wet spounge and the last thing that I want to do is think, I usually have some pretty wild dreams.

I don't know of anyone else who keeps track of their dreams other than Carl Jung. I've heard that he was notorious for it. It would really interest me to know if others have similar experiences. I've always been fascinated by the unconscious mind.
    "You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward art thou also dead - dead to the World, to Heaven and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself." E.A. Poe

"It is better to be hurt by the truth, than to be comforted by a lie." - Unknown

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    I think this poem is making a number of statements on the importance of dreaming in human nature. The lines "Wake with a thought in your mind
    Blink and it is gone never to find/ Wondering where did my dream go
    This is something we’ll never know" lead me to interpret that this poem is perhaps presenting dreaming as an analogy for life itself.

Dreams are wish-fulfillments(as Freud would put it). They are a source of hope,they lead us to question and re-shape reality in our minds, and often reveal the darker side of our thoughts that our conscious represses during the day. Dreams are an essential part of human nature,and to philosophize upon their significance is very valid philosophizing indeed.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

I love what you wrote Dramasnot. You did understand the point I was trying to make. Even though you don't always remember your dream they are held in your sub-conscious and if they are important enough they will keep coming back until you do remember what is meant to remember. Dreams that are never remembered are a washing of unwanted thoughts that sub-conscious protects you from. Usually Nightmares are hard to forget but all you remember is an outline of what happened and you always wake before they get too frighting. Thanks for your reply it was very nice to have someone understand my intent.

Orpheus,

Thanks for your input I really found your work with your dreams very fascinating. From what I read in Dramasnot's reply he mentions that Freud must have experimented with his dreams and he usually documented his works.

If Dramasnot reads this maybe he can tell you which of Freud's books or text he got the information from, I am not sure. If he doesn't reply you can email him on this network if you are a member by clicking on his user name.

Most of what I write is from experience or my heart. This experience mainly comes from the fact I am not very educated so I had to work harder than most to get where I am professional. I am just about 44 years old (May 31st) and worked many jobs with hundreds of people working on them. Now I run these type of jobs and believe me I have seen it all.

I have had some very vivid dreams myself trying to sort out problems that arose that day and I left work without the answer. Sometimes I would find the answer in my dreams. That's why if I did have a serious problem I couldn't figure out, I would tell everyone let me sleep on it. Most of the time it would just keep me up tossing and turning thinking about something that had no bearing on anything. Those are the dreams I always seemed to forget what they were about.

Well thank you guys and I have got to include Blaze in there because he has enlightened more than once.

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Bradley; 05-25-2008 at 11:05 PM.