Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: The Happiness Quest Part I

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar

The Happiness Quest Part I

LitNet seems a little down at the moment.

I suppose that's only to be expected, what with tortured artists meeting teenage angst. (not that i'm reserving misery for these people only - it's free for anyone who wants it)

But I feel like spreading some springtime cheer. So I've decided that each fortnight I'll post a new Happiness Quest thread to help us focus on what is good in our lives. It probably won't solve any major problems, but might make us all realise that each day is dawning a little brighter. Think of it as a fornightly present to yourself: spending a few minutes thinking about something happy. Perhaps it will do some long-term good along the way

So, without further ado:

Happiness Quest Part I: My Happy Book

Thought I'd kick off with something literature-themed - a little cheesy I know, but sometimes that's the easiest way to get started.

What book do you read when you feel when you feel down and want to cheer yourself up and why? Is it a cathartic tragedy, or an uplifting adventure?

I like to read any of my Tamora Pierce books - mostly my shorter ones, like one from the Song of the Lioness or Immortals. They remind me of when I was younger and used to bury myself in fantasy books. They also remind me of a time when I believed that I could do anything; those books made me feel empowered at the time and still do now, even though I practically know them off by heart. It's also because they are about young women growing into adulthood; sometimes I need reminding that it's possible to grow up and still be young and free; that you can lose your naievity (my spelling's really off today) and still be innocent - still be the same person inside. In case you happen to be reading this, Tamora Pierce, you've really inspired me to make the most of my life, and your writing has, since I was ten, made me feel empowered even when I felt despairing. And that's helped me make a positive change to my outlook and the way I deal with situations. So thank-you.

So... I have bared my soul. Do you dare, brave litnetters???
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

I like to read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a magical fantasy about Camelot...Guinevere, King Arthur, Morgan La Fey, the lady of the Lake, Merlin. I just disappear into the pages.
    Can I see another's woe,
    And not be in sorrow too?
    Can I see another's grief,
    And not seek for kind relief?
    ~William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Raven View Post
    I like to read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It's a magical fantasy about Camelot...Guinevere, King Arthur, Morgan La Fey, the lady of the Lake, Merlin. I just disappear into the pages.
    That sounds really good. Fantasy books are so easy to get lost in!

And come on everyone else!! Try to be HAAAAPY!!!
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Does no-one want to be happy???

Blog Entries
    Happiness is overrated, kind of like hot baths and love. but I appreciate your idea, so I will contribute.
    I tend to re-read my favorite James Wright poem, it reminds me to slow down and look around at the beauty:

Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly
    Asleep on the black trunk,
    Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
    Down the ravine behind the empty house,
    The cowbells follow one another
    Into the distances of the afternoon.
    To my right,
    In a field of sunlight between two pines,
    The droppings of last year's horses
    Blaze up into golden stones.
    I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
    A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
    I have wasted my life.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Blog Entries
    Ironically one of the books thats made me feel happiest was one about depression

I was really feeling down and I read It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Nick Vizzini, and when the depressed main character finds happiness and saw all these positive things in life, it made me think, and I was just so happy for him when he got better and I was able to see so many positive things in life too

Otherwise I like to read easy, kind of childish things, that make me laugh and aren't complicated, such as m or f? by Lisa Papademetriou and Chris Tebbetts, or anything by Jaclyn Moriarty... But thats just what I like

Blog Entries
    I usually read poetry when I'm down since it's faster. I don't think anyone in particular, just whatever catches my interest. If I'm down though, I usually will go for something I've read before.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7il...eature=related

I listen to Josh Groban in this video when I get discouraged.
    Labyrinth