Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Coffee Shops

Blog Entries

Coffee Shops

Everytime I pop into the town centre, I always go for a coffee...
    Question is, who does the best coffee?
    As far as I'm aware, in the U.K. we have 3 main coffee shops:
    Starbucks
    Cafe Nero
    Costa Coffee

Feel free to add any to the list (stores in different parts of the world are welcome) and then I guess we can add a poll in?
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

The best coffee? Now that's a difficult question

I'll say one thing: Starbucks' coffee is just....brutal! My opinion, of course. But the few times I've had it, it was just an overpriced dissapointment.

Mind you, I'm talking about espresso and cappuccino (which is what I usually have) not all their other concoctions, which admitedly aren't as bad. Just very sugary. And you wonder what they really put it. And did I mention overpriced?

Caffe Nero quite good, can't remember what Costa Coffee even tastes like, but my favourite here in Edinburgh has to be Beanscene's. It's a very small chain, don't know how many there are in Scotland but their coffee is good!

The best coffee I've had was in Italy...Sicily I think. It was just...perfetto!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I agree with vheissu, I don't care for Starbucks at all. We don't have the other two in the US. The coffee I like the best here is Dunkin Donuts. I'm not sure if that's international.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I think Starbucks is highly overrated and over-priced in regards to coffee...However, I can't fault the frappuccinos Yum.
    I absolutely adore Cafe Nero; it's great... they have THE BEST hot chocolates (nice muffins too.)
    I think Costa Coffee is the best for actual coffee though.
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Starbucks is overrated, also, but I think their coffee is good, nothing special, though.
    I don't really have a favorite coffee shop. Dunkin Donuts is good, never had anything but a regular coffee there though. I also like Panera Bread.
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

Blog Entries
    Hmm Dunkin' Donuts has come up a couple of times... I should try it some day. My very reason for wanting to travel to America - Dunkin' Donuts Just kiddin'...

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Tim Hortons. If you're not Canadian, you probably won't know what I'm talking about haha.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries
    Tim Hortons coffee is nice all right. But i have to say i LOVE their doughnuts! *drools* (yes we have Tim Hortons in Ireland but they arent as coffee houses but as coffee areas in Maces and Statoil garages. Still nice though!)

My all time fav coffee once was from The Winding Stair Coffee House. But then they closed down and when they re opened years later, it opened up into a bit of a yuppy place, all the character it had was gone. It had walls and walls of old books.

Alas! I dont drink coffee anymore but if i did, i'd go for Insomnia or Butlers. Not a fan of Starbucks coffee. (like their hot chocolate). Best Hot Chocolate is Butlers.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    I'm not a coffee fan, but Costa is good. I didn't go to Starbucks though. My favorite coffee shop is one called Cilantro, I'm not sure if it's international either, but it's pretty good.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Blog Entries
    I have to agree Starbuck coffee is ordinary (at least that is the case here in Australia). Their hot chocolate though is wonderfull.

Blog Entries
    We have Starbucks here in Australia?? Guess theres just not any around where I live (it is a really big country ). I don't drink coffee, and don't often go to coffee shops but the most common place that my friends go for coffee is Gloria Jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    Tim Hortons. If you're not Canadian, you probably won't know what I'm talking about haha.
    I don't drink coffee but I love me some Tim Hortons donuts, there are a few in the states.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
    We have Starbucks here in Australia?? Guess theres just not any around where I live (it is a really big country ). I don't drink coffee, and don't often go to coffee shops but the most common place that my friends go for coffee is Gloria Jeans.

Yes we do at least in NSW. There are a quite a few stores in Sydney and even on the South Coast we have one.

Blog Entries
    Oh okay... I live in WA, and I haven't seen any, but perhaps there's one around somewhere - after all, it's a fairly big state!!