Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homework Thread

Indeed.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Blog Entries
    I suppose it would also detract from viable traffic, if this forum is assumed to be nothing more than a homework copout.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Yes, still waiting for Admin's response to this.

I feel that, by implication, if a new forum area is created for this specific purpose, new members will see it and expect that they *will* get help, which is not always the case.

It might even encourage more queries than we already get for help if there is an obvious area for posting questions only.
    Not excatly, I mean you can always add some words of information below the sub-section thread name (such as "discuss the bard here" below the shakespeare sub section). Like "who knows, one might help".

Personally this "help me please threads" are like spamming..I can always ignore one or two..but when they're already buch of them, i feel like it's time to do something about it ...

Or..maybe I'm the only one who think like that

Ahhh..Nevermind!

Blog Entries
    Nope, SubT, you have my support on this! these Help me ppppplzzzzz threads are getting frustrating.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Stan..This is why you are very dear to me

and Stan about this thing you wrote in your blog:

QUOTE:
    I am a really cool dude, everyone loves me, and wishes they were me... I should rule this country, but don't have enough time!

UNQUOTE

Edit them will you...I feel like throwing up reading them

I´m not so sure about your idea. I think that some of the most interesting discussions we have had has started as “homework threads”. And on the frontpage of this site it says:
    “Have a question about literature? Why not ask it in our brand new Literature Forums. “

I do not think that I would check out the homework thread - going and checking there would be a bit like work…but when someone post a question about my favorite writers in general lit, or poetry I usually try and answer. I even like it. Somebody is interested in MY favorites! And sometimes a helpful pointer to another earlier discussion can help someone a lot.
    I agree that some questions are irritating – I do not like the feeling that people want someone else to do their work. It´s one thing to discuss and help, another to “pleazzzeeee post all your opinions on this book. I haven´t read it. Need it tomorrow” I just ignore those. That is not discussion. That is just cheating.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I agree with Isagel that if it is one separate thread, many people would not check it and it would also be confusing to have different questions/answers being posted int the same thread. I don't see why we should not help others at times. Provided that they are 'deserving' and not asking us to do the work for them.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    Heh, never noticed that before!

Quote Originally Posted by Isagel
    And on the frontpage of this site it says:
    “Have a question about literature? Why not ask it in our brand new Literature Forums. “

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Isagel
    I noticed this sentence as well and IMO, this is one of the reason why people kept posting the help me please thread. They think they would find an easy way to finish their works. This is also to counter Logos's explanation that by creating a specific section people might think that we would help us. Hello, such "provocative" sentence is already there at the main page of online literature.

The thing is when I go to the General Literature section and I noticed new threads being created, I'll directly check them out. Yet most of the times I keep getting upset cause most of them are the "help me please" type of threads. I mean why would i wanna person who might use people ideas in their homework papers without even bother to mention the sources and probably might claimed them as his/her original ideas. Second, why would I help people who only posted one post and never returned, which i considered a selfish thing to do.
    Personally, i think if there's a specific section, i'll have more convinience to check out or not to check out the threads there. I mean i know if i go to that section, i will find all kinds of "help me please" threads, and i dont need to bother my self to check out the section if i dont want to. But if i do want to bother my self a little and help, i'd know to which section i should go.

This is just an idea, don't know if you think that i'm taking this too seriously, but yes i do think it is..

Cheers

Blog Entries
    while we have plenty of threads that discuss lit, it's a known fact that plenty of people look to online sources for their homework needs. not their research, their actual papers. so, along with serious scholars and people interested in a good read, we're going to get slackers.
    probably they'd post in both your homework thread and general lit, sub, if they were truly desperate for last minute ideas.

now where were you all when i was stressing over the political structure in genesis and exodus? lol.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    under General Chat, there are the words, "discuss anything here, except politics" or something to that degree... If we do have a homework thread, which i think is an excellent idea, we should have it written, "Any help you recieve is through the grace of the members, don't expect it if you are just trying to cop out on your homework" or something to that extent, but better phrased
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Fool, I appriaciate your support.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow check this out

i kno i'm asking for too much, but i really want to pass this class, but too lazy to do all this by myself..pllllzzzz plzz help me out as much as possible.. thanks a lotz..
    more information :
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...3733#post43733

oh..i feel like lyinn on the beach watchin the sunset

haha,, sub, that is funny, first when i saw that post, i didn't have patience to read till the end,,

why are we getting so many homework/assignment threads all of a sudden? is this site listed somewhere special, asking people 'do you have homeworks, i will do it for you'?

anyways as long as it is written 'do you have a question abt literature? ask it in our forums' in the very first page, we shouldn't behave bad to anyone who may pose a question. better just to ignore if the person just signed up to complete one's homework without trying oneself.

Blog Entries
    good frickin' bejeesus. i wish there was a separate forum labeled "slackers and literature." then yahoo could choose it as a daily pick. and people might start to get the hint.
    that or feel infamous and proud.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast