Thread: C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis

Hey!....I was wondering if you could put books by C.S. Lewis on here...maybe "The Chronicles of Narnia?"......thanks!

I'd like to add Mere Christianity and Screwtape letters to the list :-)

Thanks

I don't think putting Lewis up is possible--copyright restrictions and everything. He only died back in the early sixties--an author has to be so many years dead before his/her works become publicly available. Are you guys into Lewis then? I'm interested in anyone who has a love for his works as I'm an avid fan myself. Read most everything he has...

A Myth Retold

Til We Have faces

Seated in a very full bath, reading a four-year-old letter
    Anybody read his Space Trilogy? Excellent reads all- but That Hideous Strength stands out, and is an obvious influence on A Wrinkle in Time, one of my favorite books of all time.

Also love Mere Christianity and The Chronicles of Narnia.
    "To get straight to the worst, what I'm about to offer isn't really a short story at all but a sort of prose home movie..."

Memories of the Future

I've read his space trilogy, Narnia like 4 times, and The Screwtape letters.

I liked all of those, from Narnia my favorites are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and A Horse and His Boy.

The Screwtape Letters was also very good.

I recently forced myself to read "A Wrinkle in Time" because I found it in a box of old stuff from when I was much much younger and I had never managed to read it.

I found the book absolutely revolting, I had to literally force myself to finish it, always hoping it would get better. It is obviously geared towards someone much younger than I am now, however so is Narnia and I can still read and enjoy those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    I liked all of those, from Narnia my favorites are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and A Horse and His Boy.

I recently forced myself to read "A Wrinkle in Time" because I found it in a box of old stuff from when I was much much younger and I had never managed to read it.

I found the book absolutely revolting, I had to literally force myself to finish it, always hoping it would get better. It is obviously geared towards someone much younger than I am now, however so is Narnia and I can still read and enjoy those books.
    I really don't know what my favorite of the Narnia series would be. I always thought Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy were the best characters in the whole series, and I was never quite as enthusiastic for the books they weren't in. Actually, on second thought I really liked A Horse and His Boy as well. But I'd probably go with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as my very favorite.

I have to admit I'm rather shocked at your reaction to A Wrinkle in Time. What was it that you didn't like? The story? The writing? The characters? Wow. As I have read this book many, many times I have to admit I've been thoroughly enjoyed this book and found myself entirely engrossed by it on each reading. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    "To get straight to the worst, what I'm about to offer isn't really a short story at all but a sort of prose home movie..."

Memories of the Future

Re: A Myth Retold

Quote Originally Posted by Rellehhpesoj
    I am flying through TIl We Have Faces right now. A really terrific book. I love Lewis writing so much, because it is so insightful and so easy to read. I am taking an Inklings course right now, Charles Williams, Lewis, and TOlkien and their influence on each other and medieval worldview. It is a terrific class and really interesting to point out how these great writers are related.
    I agree with your thoughts on Lewis' writing style- he really did have a remarkable talent for puting abstract and confusing ideas into easy-to-read words.

That sounds like an awesome class. It would be very interesting to really focus on their influence on each other. I'm entirely envious!

Memories of the Future

The Narnia books were the only thing I ever read of Lewis though I don't know why for all I've read them over and over. In fact I just finished the series for about the 10th time a month ago! My favorites are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I wish certain people could go through a revelation as Eustace did, and The Magician's Nephew. I like how this flashback book ties everything together.

Hey Admin, did you ever read Many Waters? I enjoyed this LeEngle book better than a Wrinkle in Time, though I liked that one too.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

I have to admit I'm rather shocked at your reaction to A Wrinkle in Time. What was it that you didn't like? The story? The writing? The characters? Wow. As I have read this book many, many times I have to admit I've been thoroughly enjoyed this book and found myself entirely engrossed by it on each reading. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    It was just so annoyingly simple and predictable. Obviously it is a children's book, but it is not a children's book that adults can still enjoy, like the Narnia series.

Hey Admin, did you ever read Many Waters? I enjoyed this LeEngle book better than a Wrinkle in Time, though I liked that one too.
    No, and I have no desire to read any more of that author.

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    I love C.S. Lewis... Mere Christianity is awesome. The Chronicles of Narnia were a childhood favorite... I still read them almost every year. A horse and his boy and The Last Battle are my favorite.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

Hey! Is there anyone that wants to help with the promotion of the Disney/Walden movie: NARNIA: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe? We are looking for true fans of Narnia. If you are interested, please drop us an email at [email protected].

Thank you!

I've showed off the teasers to some friends, but unless you're gonna pay me, that's about as much help as you'll get.

I think I've read all of Lewis' books, with the exception of The Great Divorce, which eh... never really struck my fancy, and That Hideous Strength, which is waiting for me on my bookshelf at home. Narnia is incredible and my copies all well worn. I have to agree with Dawntreader being a favorite.

Now - can anyone explain what in the HECK publishers were thinking when they decided to reprint these books in CHRONOLOGICAL order??? When I worked at a book store, I wouldn't sell a boxed set without also writing down the CORRECT reading order for my (usually baffled) customers. It's just not right any other way.
    100,000 lemmings can't be wrong. ~heard from a friend
    Life is the first gift, love is the second, understanding the third. ~ Marge Piercy
    Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God;
    but only he who sees takes of his shoes. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The Screwtape Letters is probably my favorite C.S. Lewis book. He had such a unique insight into human behavior. It's really remarkable.

As people have already mentioned Til We Have Faces (awesome, awesome book) and Mere Christianity, I'll recommend Surprised by Joy. It's a worthwhile read, and I don't think it's possible to be disappointed by any of his work.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!