Thread: Pride and Prejudice Compared With Romeo And Juliet

Bookl

Pride and Prejudice Compared With Romeo And Juliet

For A2 English i have to compare the language and society etc. of both these novels does any one have any suggestions to help me complete this essay.. I have started but do not really know romeo and Juliet that well enough to compare any comments would be gratefully accepted .. thankyou :

Quote Originally Posted by BookLover_x3 View Post
    For A2 English i have to compare the language and society etc. of both these novels does any one have any suggestions to help me complete this essay.. I have started but do not really know romeo and Juliet that well enough to compare any comments would be gratefully accepted .. thankyou :
    I'm afraid I don't know Romeo & Juliet well enough either.

I wonder if there's a website where you can learn background information about it, like you can with P & P.
    http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/pptopic2.html

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    have you read Romeo and Juliet? if you buy a good Shaky edition, for example the Norton Shakespeare or Arden Shakespeare, there is an introduction to each play (and recommended further reading).

as for the language: I guess the language of the lovers is a lot more passionate and emotional than that in Pride and Prejudice. maybe you do something a long those lines. In R&J the lovers also use a lot of metaphors and similies, I think, whereas in P&P this is not the case.

Basic links between two books

Darcy and elizabeth both lovers from diffrent satations. Darcy often refers to elizabeth low outcome and abysmal family ties

Romeo juliet lovers torn but the stations by the duties to there families.

"a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" juliet
    Darcy love remains even if elizabeth rejects it.
    "its like hitting my head agaist a brick wall" Harry
    "with your head the wall would break first" Murphy
    Jim butcher dresden files

Looking at it with binary opposition, both the play and the novel feature a scenario where the woman is portrayed as stronger than the man. The themes of prejudice and sincerity are also apparent in both works.

Oh, and you could probe both from a feminist point of view, and question what they say about women in society, and the female experience. Or you can look at it from the other way.

literature freak
    i belive that p&p surpasses r&j becuase of its ability to be water tight
    when R&J is very iresoloute and childish

but thats only my opinion

in pnp darcy's society was of rich people, elizabeth was exposed to wealthy ones but did not belonged to them. romeo and juliet both belonged to high societies, only heirs to their family's fortune.

darcy's love for elizabeth was suspected and was attempted to be thwarted by pressurizing elizabeth, whereas romeo and juliet got married secretly while their parents remained unaware till death did them apart and nothing could be done.

romeo and juliet is tragic love story, pnp is a love story with less tragedy as far as main characters are concerned. difference is of sensible marriage, the main subject in a way.

juliet appeared to me more sensible, a young teenager who tried to be faithful to both her parents and her love, or husband later, at the same time. elizabeth was not as sensible, she was prejudiced against darcy and may be all the rich, apart from bingley.

Above all, as English is my second language, for me romeo and juliet was written in difficult language then pride and prejudice.