Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: should incest be legal?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes (between consenting adults)

23 24.73%
  • yes, but only if they get sterilized

4 4.30%
  • no!

58 62.37%
  • not sure

8 8.60%
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: should incest between brothers and sisters be legal?

loquacious cat mrawr
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bartholomew View Post
    read Middlesex
    Good book. I'd completely forgotten about that part! :O

The risk for genetic problems seems to me to be the biggest reason why it would be bad. But, actually, I suppose that people who want to have kids who are closely related could always get genetic tests to see what kinds of risks for problems their children would have. Then they could choose if they want to risk passing those problems on to their children or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kratsayra View Post
    The risk for genetic problems seems to me to be the biggest reason why it would be bad. But, actually, I suppose that people who want to have kids who are closely related could always get genetic tests to see what kinds of risks for problems their children would have. Then they could choose if they want to risk passing those problems on to their children or not.
    But then, if the couple know that they are closely related to each other why would they even consider having children?!

Is it just me who thinks that a brother and sister who grew up in the same family already have a type of relationship, defined by them being siblings and sharing similar experiences? Evolving that relationship,when you already are close enough, into something different, i.e. sexual, is just weird.

I went to look for more info on the German brother/sister couple....if everything that has been said in the press is true, then there's something seriously wrong with both of them.
    Last edited by vheissu; 03-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

loquacious cat mrawr
    While I can't see the appeal in a sibling relationship, I can't really see the point in judging those who do.
    What makes it wrong is after all 'just' a societal indoctrination right? If anything i feel sorry for them. There was a story about a man and woman seperated at birth (twins) and they met randomly and fell totally in love with each other! They were ready for marriage and kids. Sooner or later they started noticing things that somehow 'connected' them, and they had a test done.
    Imagine that? the agony of discovering the love of your life is your sibling? They split. And they can't start a normal sibling relationship. You have a loved one, finally meet a family member, and then you lose both. Awful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vheissu View Post
    Is it just me who thinks that a brother and sister who grew up in the same family already have a type of relationship, defined by them being siblings and sharing similar experiences? Evolving that relationship,when you already are close enough, into something different, i.e. sexual, is just weird.
    No it's not only you. I agree. And weird is not the right word. The right word is perverse. This is perversion.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chava View Post
    Imagine that? the agony of discovering the love of your life is your sibling? They split. And they can't start a normal sibling relationship. You have a loved one, finally meet a family member, and then you lose both. Awful!
    I've mentioned that in my previous post, it must be a complete shock to discover being a sibling after the relationship has started.

But I'm referring to people who (as in the German case)already knew they were siblings and didn't stop their relationship or to what was mentioned as a 'possible solution' to the likelihood of passing down genetic defects to the children (having genetic tests before they have children). This I do find unacceptable.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Just to comment on the genetics issue; I think that's poor reasoning. Let's say that there is no incestous relationship to consider, that a person has some kind of issue with theri body that is known to them that if they have children, there is a good change the child will be born with a genetic defect. Should this person, then, be legally barred from having a child? Would it be irresponsible of them? That is another discussion entirely. But just because something is irresponsible doesn't mean it should be illegal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Oh Sleepy, please. How repulsive to even think this. Come on.
    Virgil is right, how repulsive. I have six brothers and I love them, but yuk! More than YUK! Why on Earth even think of such? Anyway, if it's legal for brothers and sisters why wouldn't it be legal between fathers and daughters or sons or mothers and sons or daughters. Laws are made to protect people and society, not just on someone's whim. I think it's crazy to even consider.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bartholomew View Post
    read Middlesex
    thanks for the recommendation, but I've already read it

Quote Originally Posted by vheissu View Post
    I've mentioned that in my previous post, it must be a complete shock to discover being a sibling after the relationship has started.

But I'm referring to people who (as in the German case)already knew they were siblings and didn't stop their relationship or to what was mentioned as a 'possible solution' to the likelihood of passing down genetic defects to the children (having genetic tests before they have children). This I do find unacceptable.
    the German couple where from an extremely uneducated family. they didn't even know it was wrong or illegal until the man was sued. but you are right: they did know that they were related.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    the German couple where from an extremely uneducated family. they didn't even know it was wrong or illegal until the man was sued. but you are right: they did know that they were related.
    My comments so far were directed at incest in general, not this specific case. But as to this case, come on, how could anyone be so uneducated that they don't know that you can't marry your sibling? I haven't read the article, but I don't believe them. I can't even fathom such ignorance. They didn't go to school? Or religious instruction? Or talk to neighbors? Is there such a place in all of Germany where one can be so isolated?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    My comments so far were directed at incest in general, not this specific case. But as to this case, come on, how could anyone be so uneducated that they don't know that you can't marry your sibling? I haven't read the article, but I don't believe them. I can't even fathom such ignorance. They didn't go to school? Or religious instruction? Or talk to neighbors? Is there such a place in all of Germany where one can be so isolated?
    of course they went to school. but these things are not treated in school the way they should be (even at the most academic of our 3 types of secondary schools) because the teachers are embarrassed. In biology we learned about details like ovulation and the anatomy of the reproductive organs, but our teacher's summary of how children are made was "People marry and then they have children". That was when we were 15/16.
    I think the German couple were from Eastern Germany/ex-GDR (I'm NOT sure, though), so they probably didn't go to church.
    yep, there are many places in Germany where ppl don't know the first thing about anything and probably there are many such places in other parts of the (developed) world, too.

Blog Entries
    of course they went to school. but these things are not treated in school the way they should be (even at the most academic of our 3 types of secondary schools) because the teachers are embarrassed. In biology we learned about details like ovulation and the anatomy of the reproductive organs, but our teacher's summary of how children are made was "People marry and then they have children". That was when we were 15/16.
    I think the German couple were from Eastern Germany/ex-GDR (I'm NOT sure, though), so they probably didn't go to church.
    yep, there are many places in Germany where ppl don't know the first thing about anything and probably there are many such places in other parts of the (developed) world, too.
    I still don't believe they didn't know. Yes, sometimes I agree certain things are glossed over. Yes they teach how an egg is fertilized by sperm to create a baby and they perhaps not mention how a sperm gets to an egg. The mechanics of it, I mean. But nonetheless everyone in school knew it even before class. Stuff like this is part of common talk. Goodness i just remembered how you mentioned nude coed baths that you've gone to. (You're painting some weird picture of Germany for me, Sleepy. I know it can't quite be like that.) How could you not know some of the basics? And i would consider incest one of those basic things people gather.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

I have absolutely no problem with this, people can be in love with and sleep with whoever they want, that's none of anybody's business. BUT, I don't care either about making it 'legal' cause that would mean that a law would decide that it's ok, and I don't like having a law deciding about that, whether the decision is positive or not. So I say, let's do whatever we like in love and sex and if they're not happy with it, that's their business.

Wow, now I am appaled at the number of people who think that's disgusting, wrong, perverse or whatever. You're judging that from the point of view of the society you've always been in. The weird thing for me is that you don't even realize that you've been brainwashed in order to think that this or that is wrong.
    Last edited by Sweets America; 03-25-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweets America View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with this, people can be in love with and sleep with whoever they want, that's none of anybody's business. BUT, I don't care either about making it 'legal' cause that would mean that a law would decide that it's ok, and I don't like having a law deciding about that, whether the decision is positive or not. So I say, let's do whatever we like in love and sex and if they're not happy with it, that's their business.

Wow, now I am appaled at the number of people who think that's disgusting, wrong, perverse or whatever. You're judging that from the point of view of the society you've always been in. The weird thing for me is that you don't even realize that you've been brainwashed in order to think that this or that is wrong.
    good point about the law, Sweets, but seeing as it's illegal at the moment it means that ppl who do it can go to prison for 2 years, so it's not like your happy-clappy scenario.

by the way, Virgil, weren't you preaching about freedom of choice when it comes to food and obesity? obese ppl are not prevented from inflicting physical harm on themselves or their children, who may copy their eating habits. so how is this issue different? why don't you (or others) extol the virtues of freedom and choice in this context?
    I mean, on a personal& emotional level I totally agree that it's disgusting, but then that's none of my business.

loquacious cat mrawr
    good point about the law, Sweets, but seeing as it's illegal at the moment it means that ppl who do it can go to prison for 2 years, so it's not like your happy-clappy scenario.

by the way, Virgil, weren't you preaching about freedom of choice when it comes to food and obesity? obese ppl are not prevented from inflicting physical harm on themselves or their children, who may copy their eating habits. so how is this issue different? why don't you (or others) extol the virtues of freedom and choice in this context?
    I mean, on a personal& emotional level I totally agree that it's disgusting, but then that's none of my business.
    Im just going to second this one...

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast