Thread: Hello everyone my name is Suzanne or Suzie for short.

Living On Faith

Smile Hello everyone my name is Suzanne or Suzie for short.

Hi, my name is Suzanne or Suzie for short. I just thought that I would introduce myself and tell you a little about myself because some of the friends of B-Mental's blog have been asking about me. So here goes. I am from Louisiana and have lived here for practically all of my life. I am currently 37 and not employed at the moment. It's been a rough few years because of personal family problems and I had to help take care of my sister's three kids but I think this year things are finally looking up for me. I started going out and getting out of the house to meet people. For the first time in a long time I am doing things for me, having fun and enjoying life. For fun I also dabble in poetry and play around on the computer. I don't know if I am the best poetry writer but I try. At the bottom of this page is a poem that I wrote about myself a while back. I also cannot forget to mention the best part about this year. I met a wonderful man named Pete about two months ago that I am now seeing. He is a sweetheart and I could not ask for a better person. He has treated me better than any guy has ever treated me. He sees me and not my disability and that is what I love the most about him.

I was born with a disability called Cerebral Palsy. Cerebral Palsy is a condition that is the result of lack of oxygen to a certain part of the brain usually during birth. When I was born, something happened that caused me not to breathe for 5 minutes or more. I am still not certain of the details of what happen on that day because my mom’s doctor knocked her out completely during the delivery because he knew that I was going to be born breach. After I was born, the doctor told my dad that the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck when I came out but he thought that I would be fine. Because the doctor said that I was fine, my parents did not think to ask any questions. For the next two years of my life, doctors told my parents month after month that I was just a late developer. When I was three years old, my parents finally found out that I was slow at developing because I had Cerebral Palsy.

There are different severities of Cerebral Palsy but fortunately the only part of my brain that was damaged was my motor skills, balance and a little of my speech. The damage to my motor skills causes me to move slowly with jerky movement instead of quick and smoothly. The damage also causes my muscles to have tightness and my balance to be unsteady which makes it difficult to stand up without assistance. My speech was affected but I am blessed because I can speak clear enough that most people do not have a problem understanding me after they get familiar the way I pronounce my words. I pronounce words different and slower than other people do. It is like someone that has a strong accent and it takes a little while to get use to. Despite the obstacles in my life, I feel fortunate because I have had a good life and my condition could have been much worse.

Who Am I

Am I the reflection in the mirror that I see looking back at me
    Or am I the limitless spirit that is within screaming to break free

Am I just another poor girl in a wheelchair with a disability they see
    Or am the unique soul that God put me on this earth to be

Am I paralyzed by the fear of discrimination, judgment and uncertainty
    Or am I the worrier who will fight until the end to create her own destiny

Will my life be defined by the reflection I see looking back at me
    Or will I allow my spirit to break free and unveil the real me for all to see

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Litnet, Suzie

I saw your picture in B's blog, you are pretty I love your hair

Frankly, I have not come across a person in real life with this condition, but I know it's difficult. I admire your courage and your spirit. You are definitely a fighter

B is really a great guy; always there for friends.

I am glad for both of you

All the best !

Hope to see you more on litnet.
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

Blog Entries
    Well, All I have to say, is that Suzie is a back seat driver. She is always bossing me around. I went to see her family on Easter, and all she could do was complain and try to kill me. First she kicked me, then she tried to run me over! Now I ask you, Is that any kind of a way for a lady to treat a man. She is so demanding, she wants my undivided attention. I can't blame her though, I am kind of, ummm, tightly high-strung. B
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries
    Oh, and the reason she is such a poor back~seat driver....she got her driver's license at Wal~Mart. Oh dear me...Keep her off of the road, and lock your doors. There is a crazy woman on the LOOSE!
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries
    I knew right away that it was you. Welcome to the forum! It's almost like we already know you.

Blog Entries
    Suzie Welcome to Litnet! I admire you. B's a great guy and i'm so glad he has brought so much happiness into your life. I thought your poem was very spirited. Maybe when B gets larry, you will help keep him entertained?
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Living On Faith
    Thanks guys for all the wonderful comments and don't believe everything Pete says about me, I don't nag.LOL Best, Suzie