Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Qur'an as Literature

Why do you say, do not go off topic and discuss belief, and then claim the Qur'an is the direct words of God? People sometimes...
    Et l'unique cordeau des trompettes marines

Apollinaire, Le chantre

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Why do you say, do not go off topic and discuss belief, and then claim the Qur'an is the direct words of God? People sometimes...
    I was replying to what was said already. I didn't start the discussion of beliefs here, please re-read the replies again. Someone, in the midst of the discussion, claimed that the Qura'an is mere comments and memories, as a Muslim, I had to reply to that. My reply did not open the discussion on Islamic belief, or in which language it was written.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

I noticed a couple of our fellow Muslim posters keep using the term "PBUH" after certain names. I'm curious. How come?

Banned
    Quran makes me feel better , While reading it , You feel as reading a GOOD novel .

PBUH we put it after the name of the prophet, it means Peace Be Upon Him.
    Mouhammad Peace be upon him.
    Jesus Peace be upon him.
    Moses Peace be upon him.
    and so on....

Quote Originally Posted by Shield&Sword View Post
    PBUH we put it after the name of the prophet, it means Peace Be Upon Him.
    Mouhammad Peace be upon him.
    Jesus Peace be upon him.
    Moses Peace be upon him.
    and so on....
    Thank you for your response, Shield&Sword.

So basically in Arabic you write Asalaamu Aliakum after every prophet's name?

no, we say it in other form, because assalamo alaikum is said to the one you are talking to (mean peace upon you). After prophet's name we say Alihy assalam (mean peace upon him).

And you welcome

Ah, thanks for the correction. I only took a semester of Arabic in undergrad.

Safe to say I forgot a lot. Not to mention I really didn't get that far in one semester to begin with. It's something I want to return to someday.

Blog Entries
    My arabic and aramaic are weak. I can only speak some common phrases. I only read in English, German and French. I am a worldly man, the common word for this is cosmopolitan. I do believe that the Quran holds truths, but as in all books it is up to the reader to interpret these. My personal jihad is against my demons, and not the worlds. It is difficult enough to be a child of mercy in the eyes of Allah. I do appreciate this topic, and hope that kind discussion continues. B
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

As prophet Muhammad said:" the Jihad is the Jihad against your self".
    Against the bad thoughts that come to you, against the bad acts, against killing stealing, insulting others, and so on acts and feelings that destroy your life and other's.

Quote Originally Posted by AwayAloneAlast View Post
    I have yet to read it, but I was wondering if anyone on here has ever read the Qur'an. If so, I was hoping somebody could tell me how they feel it rates as literature, i.e. in comparison to the Bible. I'm not interesting in converting to either religion, and I don't want to start a religious debate, I am just curious as to what people think of the Qur'an

it is important to note first that both Arabic language and the Holly Quran are parallel to each other due to the fact that the Holy Quran is in Arabic language and it always has been ..and that was the reason to maintain the Arabic language ..

It is forbidden to translate it to any other language (word to word) but people can translate it's meaning .. Muslims read the Holly Quran in Arabic alone even if they are not Arabic ..they must learn to read it in Arabic ..

The main reason for the Holly Quran to be in Arabic language is to preserve and to maintain Arabic language and also because prophet Muhammad is Arabic and he is from the finest pure blooded Arabic tribes .

The Holly Quran is in fact the Diglossia of the Arabic language that keeps the Arabic language from shifting or changing .

The Holly Quran is not literature . It is in fact non Human , it is God's unmortal words.. no poet or author can copycat it words ,they are not like any words .... And it is one of many characteristics to the Holly Quran ..

it is easy to remember ..articulate.. Strangely relaxing. When reading it it seems that both time and place cease to exist .. it is used as a Healing method (speaking from personal experience to my self and others ) the Holly Quran is used as a healing method to several diseases ..And it can actually include your past, present and future (a professional Quran scientist can really tell you your past present and future) (speaking from experience)

And includes the answer to every Question we might have .. for example I know this friend who has been ill for too long and modern medicine failed to cure her ..She was diagnosed as schizophrenic and paranoid she gets panic attacks all the time .. she suffered a lot but when I introduced her to a Quran healer she was fine in less than three days and now she is married and takes no medication at all .. the healer also told her that she has this and that only by looking at certain pages of the Holly Quran .. I truly was amazed .. (But of course only a professional Know how to use the Holly Quran in healing .. )

In comparison to the Bible .. I did not read the Bible but I have this Christian friend who reads the Holly Quran and keeps it on the night stand..
    Last edited by ashley3554; 03-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.

I transcend the common notions of space. When I'm sleeping.
    I haven't read a lot of the Koran, but the parts that I skipped to seemed rather lame compared to the OT.
    I think if you make a signature, you should inspire some emotion in someone else. I also think it would be pretentious for me to think I could do that.

Somewhere in the MidWestern United States.
    Aramaic is far more closely related to Hebrew than it is Arabic. The alphabet itself is more similar to Hebrew than Arabic, as is the language's orthography. Arabic is in fact the original language of the Qur'an. And Arabic did NOT come from Aramaic or Hebrew, and NONE of these languages are derived from Amharic.

The Bible says, "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints" (1 Corinthians 14:33) and I've found that to be true after studying the scriptures over time. When I was a new believer I thought there were contradictions in the Bible until I learned to keep everything in context and to pray before reading for clarity and discernment with the help of the Holy Spirit. Someone else may find a different personal meaning to the same scripture verse (not to be confused with basic truth) but that's the beauty of it...God speaks to each of us on a personal level through the scriptures so, while the basic truth remains, the personal application may vary. I agree that there is a unity of all denominations of Christianity if the core belief is intact…basically John 3:16 and that Jesus was the Messiah.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123