Thread: Old Soul (Sarah's Ballad)

Days which did result in a twisted question mark
    Blog Entries

Old Soul (Sarah's Ballad)

**Okay, this one requires a short explanation. It's about a good friend of mine who is addicted to herion and recently lost custody of her two daughters. These are actually lyrics to a song I just finished writing. Let me know what you think. As always, constructive criticism also appreciated. Thanks for reading -Chris

She came over it all with a grin
    as she always did.
    After all she's just a little girl
    wearing big mommy shoes,
    and she nods out
    forgetting her place in this world.
    she's an old soul...
    Oh how sweet
    can this nothingness be;
    Perfect void of
    most anything.
    A complete lack of sickness
    for several sweet moments at least.
    And you peel as if skin from the sky,
    but it doesn't much matter now.
    Do your cigarette burns
    serve as faithful reminders?
    Ambiguous footnotes?
    In the end it becomes
    what you fought all along
    if you just give it time-
    you kill off one disease
    just to die of another.

**Also, I apologize to anyone who may have seen it for my earlier post "To Hell With Kurt Cobain". I was very sick and angry and hadn't slept for a couple days, and I should have not posted it. That one, I probably should have kept to myself. Sorry.
    ...Ride life into perfect laughter. It's the only good fight left. -Charles Bukowski

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

Be nice to hear it sung...

I usually can figure out anyone's song as I am a singer/songwriter myself (but I play everything by ear, I never learned to read music). This time I can start yours, but I fall apart rather quickly. Perhaps if there were breaks where your music breaks? I think you capture your subject well and the closing couplet is so sad...

Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparr0w View Post
    Also, I apologize to anyone who may have seen it for my earlier post "To Hell With Kurt Cobain". I was very sick and angry and hadn't slept for a couple days, and I should have not posted it. That one, I probably should have kept to myself. Sorry.
    Apology accepted but certainly not necessary. And I disagree with you. You should not have kept that one to yourself. Thank you.
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

"If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love the compassion in this and wish to honour it for these lines in particular:

And you peel as if skin from the sky,
    you kill off one disease
    just to die of another.

That, of course, is a devastating conclusion!

Blog Entries
    Thanks again guys. between the personal messages I've been getting and the love from the caring comments on my little rant earlier, I really feel I've made some good friends on here. Oh, and Pendragon, believe it or not, those ARE where the music breaks... heh, I guess you would have to hear it. Yeah, I play by ear, too. I learned how to write tabs a long time ago, and am finally just starting to learn to write music, but I pretty much go by memory (I havent forgotten one word or one note from any poems or songs I've written since I was 11), and am lucky enough to be able to translate what I hear in my head to actual parts (I usually write piano, bass, and second guitar parts to accompany, in the hopes of having someone to jam with again soon) without much trouble. I could tab it out for you, if you'd like.
    ...Ride life into perfect laughter. It's the only good fight left. -Charles Bukowski

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like it, at least for the poertic value of the words, and would like to hear the song if at all possible. I really like the line "And you peel as if skin from the sky."

I also agree you should not have kept the poem To Hell with Kurt Cobain from being posted. It really shows raw emotion. Though, I am curious, are you a fan of his music, or were you?

Blog Entries
    About Nirvana, I was a huge fan at one point (listened obsessively from 93 to probably 97). Don't realy dislike them persay, just burned out on it. I must admit I'm curious about your name... Mutatis-Mutandi? Seems like the kind of name with something interesting behind it...

Blog Entries
    I would love to hear this ballad yourself singing Chris. Is that possible? In this poetry, there are many lines almost all worked for me and it reminds me of my teenage days. Poem written from the heart looks like this and this is one of my favourite poem Chris. Thank you very much for sharing.

The following lines are really poignant which flash backed me to my early days. The last 5 lines are really heartbreaking one which I loved the most. They really made me cry. I'd read your earlier work whenever I get time again.

Quote Originally Posted by sparr0w
    After all she's just a little girl
    wearing big mommy shoes,
    and she nods out
    forgetting her place in this world.
    Oh how sweet
    can this nothingness be;
    Perfect void of
    most anything.
    Do your cigarette burns
    serve as faithful reminders?
    In the end it becomes
    what you fought all along
    if you just give it time-
    you kill off one disease
    just to die of another.
    Keep up your good work Chris!
    Last edited by dibyendra; 03-09-2008 at 02:36 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, my name is a mistake, in a way. I usually go by the name Mutatis-Mutandis, but I forgot the last "s" when I registered. Mutatis mutandis is latin for "those things having been changed which need to be changed," or "necessary changes having been made." I would like to say I am a scholar of Latin, but truth be told, I got the name from a Mudvayne song.

Falling down like an omen lucidnightmares's Avatar
    i`d really like to hear this one is action.
    the lyrics are beautiful , an optimistic girl who never really got used to life, got used and hurt.

"Do your cigarette burns
    serve as faithful reminders?"

you should post a video somewhere, i`m interested as to how the lyrics would come out with such feeling.

"Oh how sweet
    can this nothingness be;
    Perfect void of
    most anything."

i think that`s the one line that really stuck with me.
    it`s nice, i`d like to see more lyrics from you, maybe some more of your songs that you haven`t posted yet?

what i used to be will pass away and then you`ll see that all i want to know is happiness for you and me...

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

Thanks again guys. between the personal messages I've been getting and the love from the caring comments on my little rant earlier, I really feel I've made some good friends on here. Oh, and Pendragon, believe it or not, those ARE where the music breaks... heh, I guess you would have to hear it. Yeah, I play by ear, too. I learned how to write tabs a long time ago, and am finally just starting to learn to write music, but I pretty much go by memory (I havent forgotten one word or one note from any poems or songs I've written since I was 11), and am lucky enough to be able to translate what I hear in my head to actual parts (I usually write piano, bass, and second guitar parts to accompany, in the hopes of having someone to jam with again soon) without much trouble. I could tab it out for you, if you'd like.
    I would like that, Sparrow. I have my guitar here by the computer desk all the time. But send it to my PM, OK? Unless others are interested as well.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...