Thread: Literature courses in High School

Literature courses in High School

Hello,

I am not good at literature. Unfortunately, it's one of my worst subjects. I already have some kind of American Literature class right now (junior year), and we juniors are currently signing up classes for next year for senior year. I am wondering which one to choose for the literature credits, but my teacher told us that make sure take a class that is a little more challenging so that we can get more knowledge to be prepared for college literature stuff, so thus I don't want to take too easy class, but at the same time, not too hard class. I'm thinking about taking Shakespeare class, and I'm not sure if this is a hard class or not. Also, for other half, I have to choose British Literature, and I don't know if that's hard, either. So, can anyone give me a suggestion on how to pass these classes with ease? In other words, should I choose these classes (I don't want hard literature stuff, but unfortunately, I have to expand my knowledge on it for college), or should I consider different class?

Thanks,

J.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would go for the Shakespeare class, but I've never really had issues reading his works. I pull them out for fun, so I guess that may be why I lean towards that. Does your school offer any sort of a gothic literature class or a science fiction one? They would still not be the easiest, but they are pretty interesting to take. We read Misery by Stephen King, in my Gothic Lit class.

Shakespeare is quite easy, especially since you can get cliff notes versions or watch some of the excellent movies to go along with it (I recommend Branagh versions). Hell, you might even wind up liking Shakespeare and literature a bit more once you've read him and allowed yourself to become immersed in his writings enough.

As far as British Lit goes, I'm not sure what'll be taught. I can point to specific "landmark" works that I think will be studied, though. Maybe you can take a look at some in advance? Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare, and Milton's Paradise Lost are the major ones that come off the top of my head right now.

Take the easiest class offered if you're not interested in literature. The required college English courses aren't that difficult. I'd say to take a more difficult lit class only if you plan on majoring in English, and I'm pretty sure you don't. High school teachers are always dropping BS like this. Don't worry man; it's just high school.
    Last edited by HotKarl; 03-08-2008 at 01:44 AM.
    Witty quotation here! Witty quotation here!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't get why someone would tell you to take difficult lit classes to prepare for college if you aren't going to major in English. My advice to you is to take the esiest lit classes. In my opinoin, this would not include Shakespeare. If you have a sci-fi or supernatural lit, I would take those, as they are very entertaining when it comes to literature. Brit lit might not be bad, it dpeends on the teacher mostly, as is usually the case. I would take Brit lit before shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    I would take Brit lit before shakespeare.
    I'd like to say something of note at this point; only take Brit Lit if it's from Shakespeare to present times. Colleges typically organize Brit Lit into two semesters, and obviously a high school can't do that. So, inquire about what material your HS Brit Lit teaches. If the class is emphasizing earlier English lit then run for the hills. Trust me, dealing with Shakespeare is much easier than dealing with The Canterbury Tales, Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and metaphysical poetry. You'll spend so much time struggling with the language that basic plot comprehension becomes difficult. I remember when I took Brit Lit I in college I accidentally turned two pages while reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight without realizing it. I completely lost what was going on. However, if your HS Brit Lit teaches the Renaissance until modern times, that's a better bet than Shakespeare in terms of ease. As the language becomes more recognizable, the more you can concentrate on analysis as opposed to basic comprehension.
    Witty quotation here! Witty quotation here!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I said Brit Lit assuming they would be staying away from Old English, but if they are teaching these stories that HotKarl mentioned, I agree, stay away. I would think only an honors class would tackle Old English.