Thread: Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

Blog Entries

Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

I've been studying The Social Contract all today. And though I didn't read the whole thing, I think I'm already a fan of Rousseau. I have a thing for idealists, who still had faith in human goodness, and the possibility of a Utopian Society. Or maybe it's just the fact that I just studied Mandeville right before Rousseau, so I was kinda happy to find out that there were still good people in the world
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

You read Social Contract in a day? How can you get anything out of it if you rush through like that?

I'm not sure what to make of the state of nature argument that he makes. I don't really accept the idea that society is artificial. I mean, saying that man is better off in a pre-social state is appealing. But just because something is appealing does not make it right. It seems to be a fact about humans that we socialize, that we get together. You can look at the great apes for a good comparison.
    Last edited by Eric Cioe; 03-12-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Social Contracts is something that matures you into something worthwhile to know in life.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Certainly, the social contract argument---if not taken historically--has something to be said for it, but when JJR talks of the "general will"then he treads on, so it seems to me, very tenuous ground, and certainly glorifying it at the expense of individual rights can lead to untoward consequences.
    Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by jgweed; 05-15-2008 at 12:41 PM.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries

Smile

I personaly find many similarities between La Dixmerie's works and Rousseau's.

Blog Entries
    I'm reading Rousseau's Confession right now and as a human, I really like him. Rousseau's fundamental character is based on a kind heart, almost too the point where it is a flaw. I do want to read the Social Contract next.

If anyone wants to join, there is a discussion group every Wed. We only just starting book three. If you haven't read the Confession, the best way to describe it is as charming and delightful, and possibly humorous.

publisher wanted
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    ...and as a human, I really like him. Rousseau's fundamental character is based on a kind heart, almost too the point where it is a flaw.
    are you sure?

Blog Entries
    Rousseau is really something. I've only read him in translation but I'm sure the eloquence with which he is translated is very much a reflection of how eloquent was his french. He is great not only as thinker but as a stylist too.