Thread: what is it meant by "Great expectations" in the novel of Dickens???

Question what is it meant by "Great expectations" in the novel of Dickens???

Well, I've read "great expectations" twice and I've enjoyed it less than the first time, i usually like the book even more when i read it for the second time, but it was not the case this time. maybe because i felt like an idiot, like I've never read the novel and understood one word of it, at least that's what i felt when i see the mark that my teacher gave me, which one of us is right???that's why i need a third opinion, everyone who has read the novel can say what he thinks about the following: what is meant by "great expectations" in the novel??? And in which way his meeting with:Estella, Magwitch, and his relation with Joe, and Jaggers affect the development of Pip as a person???
    "La dignité n'est qu'un paravent placé par l'orgueil et derrière lequel nous enrageons à notre aise." Honoré de balzac.
    "La réalité implacable me conduirait au suicide si le rêve ne me permettait d'attendre". Guy de Maupassant.

I agree with your teacher...that you should be able to understand and answer those questions. However, that doesn't mean you haven't read it if you don't know the answers. Great Expectations is a difficult read, I think. If you have truly read it twice already, maybe it would help you to get more out of it if you purchased one of those little yellow books (what are they called?) that help guide you through the book. Then maybe with a little guidance, you would be able to enjoy the book at last, and answer anything asked of you!

cliffs notes or something like that...I think that is what they are called.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your help
    "La dignité n'est qu'un paravent placé par l'orgueil et derrière lequel nous enrageons à notre aise." Honoré de balzac.
    "La réalité implacable me conduirait au suicide si le rêve ne me permettait d'attendre". Guy de Maupassant.

It's a social commentary, it says how classes interact, as shown by Pip's drifting among the classes.

I think anyway.. I'm no genius :|