Thread: Dickens - Great Expectations - Help me Please!!

Thumbs up Dickens - Great Expectations - Help me Please!!

Please can someone help me

I need some help understanding Great Expectations. I need to know the way Pip changes during the course of the novel from an innocent young boy to a snobbish young man and finally in to a mature adult. The way this book is written in old english makes it very difficult to follow. I would really appreciate any tips or pointers anyone can provide.

Hopfully

Nathusdebobo

I personally, never found Pip to become a snobbish young man. He did go through a change however, from him as a young boy to becoming a "distiguished gentleman". But I think Pip did keep true to himself to some extent, he just lost track of what was important, and was struggling in how one finds true happiness. Been a while since I have read it, but I don't remember him acting snobbish to others.

Quote Originally Posted by nathusdebobo View Post

I need some help understanding Great Expectations. I need to know the way Pip changes during the course of the novel from an innocent young boy to a snobbish young man and finally in to a mature adult. The way this book is written in old english makes it very difficult to follow. I would really appreciate any tips or pointers anyone can provide.

Hopfully

Nathusdebobo
    I would respectfully point out that the novel is not writtren in Old English.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emily00 View Post
    I would respectfully point out that the novel is not writtren in Old English.
    I know that made me laugh! Dickens' referred to as old English.

There are plenty of books and good stuff on the internet.

Never thought he was snobbish - rather his affections for Estella clouded his judgement sometimes - if he was snobbish it was only to impress her. He changes with time because of hardship and the realisation that Miss Havisham was not his benefactor, when you've laboured that long under an illusion it's sudden elimination would naturally have some kind of affect.

I wonder if you've actually tried reading the book? It sounds like you haven't. It's one of his best and believe me worth sticking with.

Good luck.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Aren't you forgetting his shameful feelings toward Joe at one poiint?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    Aren't you forgetting his shameful feelings toward Joe at one poiint?
    Aren't you forgetting the order of events? Did he ever feel ashamed of Joe before having met Estella? This is why the notion of 'plot' - the order of events - is crucial in stories. In fact I distinctly remember him feeling ashamed of Joe at one point and then immediately thinking how Estella would be disgusted with him and their way of life.

That's my opinion anyway but you're more than welcome to hold yours.

Good day.
    Last edited by optimisticnad; 05-18-2009 at 06:42 AM.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticnad View Post
    Aren't you forgetting the order of events? Did he ever feel ashamed of Joe before having met Estella? This is why the notion of 'plot' - the order of events - is crucial in stories. In fact I distinctly remember him feeling ashamed of Joe at one point and then immediately thinking how Estella would be disgusted with him and their way of life.

That's my opinion anyway but you're more than welcome to hold yours.

Good day.
    I believe the OP asked about Pip's "snobbish feelings". He had them, that's what I'm saying, regardless as to whatever order of the plot they came in. I am aware of how a "plot" - the order of events works, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    I believe the OP asked about Pip's "snobbish feelings". He had them, that's what I'm saying, regardless as to whatever order of the plot they came in. I am aware of how a "plot" - the order of events works, thanks.
    I don't remember saying you didn't know what a 'plot' was and I apologise if I implied that. So much is repeated, that doesn't mean you're accusing the reader of not knowing - otherwise all our teachers would be up in arms against us wouldn't you say? In my case it was for emphasis.

You asked me: ''Aren't you forgetting his shameful feelings toward Joe at one poiint?'

and my response was that you can't use his 'shameful feelings towards Joe' as an example of his snobbish nature because they were caused by Estella's treatment of him/superiority/his love for her etc. It's not the same as being snobbish by nature. You can't just look at the superificial - that he had 'snobbish feelings', it's a lot more complex. And you can't take things out context - e.g several times when he felt ashamed of Joe his immediate thought was about Estella, his feelings have a context and I'm sure you're aware of how that works.
    Last edited by optimisticnad; 05-19-2009 at 08:20 AM.

mvr_moorthy
    Quote Originally Posted by nathusdebobo View Post

. I need to know the way Pip changes during the course of the novel from an innocent young boy to a snobbish young man and finally in to a mature adult.

Nathusdebobo
    I think snobbishness is a matter of attitude --- and is an appendage of social ambience. Hence, Pip in London ought to act and has acted as per his perceptions of that society. However they turn out to be misconceptions and his attempt at social finery turns out into a profound human tragedy

His feelings towards being Joe, shunning him? Brought on by the size of London, and being with as uncoth by Estella.
    Perhaps the way he acts to Magwitch a few minutes before he reveals he's the benefactor.

My apologeez for butting in

All though u both have great points it is after Joe visits and excuses himself from the table and tells Pip that if he wanted to see him that he would have to come and stick hishead through the shop window like he did when he was a child because joe didnt believe that he belonged in that enviroment.

P.S.1. excuse my handwriting im am extremely rushed
    2. there is also many different copies and reinterpretations of the book