Thread: Kenneth Branagh adaptation?

Kenneth Branagh adaptation?

Did anyone see the Kenneth Branagh adaptation of As You Like it on HBO last semester? What is the general consensus? Personally, I thought it was excellent. However, I have not read the original play...

I thought setting it in 19th century Japan was pointless. It made it look nice- was it to cover up the fact that there was no plot?
    The play might be funny with an all-male cast; it's not that funny with men and women.

Blog Entries
    Hi Kent. I saw it and even own it since I collect all things Branagh. However, I was a little disappointed in some aspects of this film first time watching it. I do think it's a silly plot but most of Shakespeare's comedies are on the lightside. I didn't mind it being set in Japan; it made for some stunning scenes. I just felt it was lacking in someway; and that says a lot, I being a huge Branagh fan. A second viewing helped me to understand it better and appreciate it a little more. I guess I prefer his earlier Shakespeare films, such as "Much Ado About Nothing" and even is fun musical version of "Love's Labours Lost". I adore his "Henry V" and "Hamlet" and have viewed them probably 25 times at least, by now. I guess one of the big things missing from this S newest film is Ken himself. I am glad to see him acting again in his "Wallander" series and also he was quite good in "Valkayrie". I am hoping someday he plays "Macbeth" or "King Lear".
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I am hoping someday he plays "Macbeth" or "King Lear".
    You're hoping he plays the character, or does a film of it? As a friend of mine noted, he's already played Edgar and The Fool. So maybe it should be Lear next.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. The Third View Post
    You're hoping he plays the character, or does a film of it? As a friend of mine noted, he's already played Edgar and The Fool. So maybe it should be Lear next.
    I knew that and had the same thought. I heard him on a interview being asked about Macbeth. Apparently, it's bad luck to say the actual name of this production but it seemed he had the thought for something in the future; don't think he can wait too long because he is 50 now. He still has time for Lear. It would great if he directed and also starred in it as Lear; however he has been known to say he won't do that again; it was harder than he ever imagined. He's an energetic actor with tons of ambition, so who knows what the future might hold for him.

Has anybody seen the 1992 modern adaptation of As You Like It?

Blog Entries
    No, is it good?

I've recently ordered the Helen Mirren adaptation from the library. I don't know what to expect.

No, is it good?
    Panned by the critics. It was a failed experiment but it's an interesting failure, with some bizarre director's choices.

Blog Entries
    No, is it good?

I've recently ordered the Helen Mirren adaptation from the library. I don't know what to expect.
    I just ordered that one from Amazon UK. Haven't watched it yet. I set my computer to Region 2 but I think it will play on all regions, or so the cover seems to state. I have wante to see this for ages. I saw clips on YT many times. How can one go wrong with Helen Mirren?

I love the Archer's production with her first film appearance - "The Age of Consent"...she's an amazing actress and very pretty and fresh in this early production.