Thread: Cheap Advice (for what it's worth)

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Cheap Advice (for what it's worth)

There's nothing cheaper than advice, I know, and most of the time -- like an
    over the transom manuscript -- it's "unsolicited." Even so, (hand to the lips, mumble, muffled) ahem decades ago, I wish I had known some of the things about writing that I know, or I think I know, now.

So here are some drops of wisdom I've acquired over the years from writers themselves, from writing magazines, teachers, and books about the subject.

1. FALL IN LOVE WITH WORDS. Chase them, court them, woo them, as a
    down-on-his-luck stand-up comic pursues the elusive sitcom. Words are the
    most essential tools of your trade, like nails to a carpenter. But unlike nails
    which all look alike in the bucket, each word is different from every other one. Even synonyms are not identical twins. The more words you know (and love) the more likely you will choose the exact one. As Mark Twain said:
    "The difference between the right word and the wrong word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."
    Also, when you have caught the right bug, er, word in the jar, you can use that particular word rather than struggle with four or five other words or phrases in order to say exactly what you want to say. Note I said : fall in love with words-- but don't be promiscuous. (And don't mix your metaphors-which as I did in this paragraph.)

2. Read. Read. And -- oh yeah, Read. Learn from the masters who teach you how writing is supposed to be done. Read the crappy stuff, too, so you'll know what to avoid. Don't worry about unconsciously copying some other author's style or being "derivative;" T. S. Eliot said, "Bad writers borrow;good writers steal," but what I think what he may have been getting at is that when you read enough, you will remember the styles and techniques that work. Some kind of osmosis takes place and your own personal, unique style will take over.

3. You have to learn the rules before you break them.
    That's true. Believe me, if your manuscript is full of spelling, grammatical, and usage errors, the editor will not read past the first couple of sentences, and other readers will find that they are expending unusual effort trying to decipher just what it is you are trying to say. Not only that, a careless piece of writing is like having it rubber- stamped with the word "amateur" all over it. If you fell asleep during English classes, you can still rescue yourself by
    reading the experts, among them:
    The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. That's "the" E. B. White who
    wrote Charlotte's Web.
    The Elements of Expression by Arthur Plotnik
    On Writing Well by Donald Hall.

4-5 (choosing topics.)
    4. "Write what you know," is the advice we hear a lot. That's only effective if what you know is worth mining for a writing topic-- it's really effective if
    your unique take on "what you know" is new or revelatory. Write about what you love and want your readers to love as well. Write about what you are passionate about and what pisses you off.
    Many young writers take the "write about what you know" advice too literally and think they have to be Hemingway and go out and physically fight a bull or break their necks in some other macho activity. No. Henry James once said that he had enough material to write volumes when he reached the tender age of twenty. And look at Emily Dickinson: she never got out much! Not only that, we all have a little genie in our brain called the imagination. So let's tweak that advice: write about what you know + what you would like to know -- which means research, i. e. more reading. According to what I heard on the Science Channel last night, that's exactly what Jules Verne and H.G. Wells did --and as a result their science fiction works were uncannily visionary.

5. Remember the KISS rule? Keep it Simple, Stupid (or "Sweetheart") Try to remember the Goldilocks rule, too, and make sure that your topic isn't too large or too small but "just right."
    Don't try to write a short-short story about
    Napoleon's entire European campaign. Bite off a little chunk of a napoleon and see how much meaning you can extract from it.

6. REWRITE
    When you finish a draft, go back and cut out the padding--everything that is extraneous or unnecessary to the point you are trying to make. Slash the "padding." While you're at it, get rid of everything that smells even slightly like a cliché.

7. Proofread.

and
    8. The ultimate rule: When the work is finished, ask yourself:
    "Does This Say What I Want it To Say?"
    Yes? Then congratulations! Not so much? Go back and give it another shot.

Comments, please!

Last edited by AuntShecky; 01-12-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry Aunt Shecky...I'm a critic, and I have some cheap advice for you...

This thread needs more Cowbell!
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mental View Post
    This thread needs more Cowbell!
    I don't see many, but I saw that one

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    Okay, now, cowbells re: needing more. As far as I can tell it has something to do w. Blue Oyster Cult and Christopher
    Walken, but forgive me, I don't get what it has to do with
    writing or Sheckies or aunties.

All these decades (er) of experience reduced to a cowbell!

http://www.geekspeakweekly.com/cowbell/
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 01-13-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Wow, AuntShecky, great advice! I'm glad I read it, and, if you don't mind, I may glance at it for future reference when I'm making new works.

And you are completly right about reading enhancing your writing skills. If I compare my works before and after I read a little Tolkien, they're way richer now. All of our brains are fertile, but what we need to do is plant seeds. Then our abilities will be enhanced.

Okay, this is a little off-topic, but as you mentioned E.B. White, I loved Charlotte's Web. Cried so much the first time I read it!
    Last edited by AlishaIsMyName; 01-12-2008 at 04:49 PM.

That is all fantastic advice, Auntie, and I'm going to save it in the continuously growing book I've made of all your stories. It's obvious that you put quite a bit of effort into compiling these suggestions - just like you do with your stories.

If I could add any ideas, they would be the following three:

1. Keep writing, after overcoming the difficulty in getting started. When you continue writing (and reading as you correctly pointed out), you will see over time that your writing actually improves. Experience is a great teacher and the more experience you gain, the better. This is experience IN the practice of writing, and experience in things ABOUT WHICH you would then write.

2. Strike a balance between putting something out too hastily, before it's really good enough for critical review, and holding onto it too long. You can keep working forever to try for perfection that you'll never achieve anyway.

3. Realize that the following words are NOT interchangeable:

• the word there is different from their which in turn is different from they're
    • it's and its do not mean the same thing
    • weight is not a synonym of wait
    • a coin toss won't help you decide correctly between you're and your.
    Last edited by DickZ; 01-14-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks for sharing

You are absolutely correct. It is strange to see how much your writing does evolve after you start reading more. During High school my reading was seldom and the books weren't very deep. I just took a literature class last semester in college and my writing has taken on different meaning. I catch myself thinking, "What would Charlotte Bronte or Barbara Kingsolver do?" And your right, I felt guilty for wanting to write like them... But I took what I needed and made my own style from that. I love to write, I may never become the Goddess of literature, but I will have something to be proud of. Thanks for sharing, and I may check out some of those books one day!
    God bless,
    emily
    Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see - Heb 11:1

The coin toss came up wrong.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    When I first began writing, all of my stories where packed with adventure and gimmicks. I didn't think it was interesting if there wasn't any shock. I was a sensationalist.

I learned to appreciate characters and story through reading. Nuances, symbolism, theme, description, dialogue. Now, I enjoy stories like Hemingway's Big Two-Hearted River more than a gimmicky thriller. I learned not to mistake motion for action.

I have explored literature a lot since those years and though Hemingway is no longer my favorite author, it was him that made me appreciate a subtle story.

My advice would be to avoid using stories as vehicles for gimmicks. That is more subjective, because many thriller writers do this.
    Last edited by NickAdams; 04-24-2008 at 12:32 PM.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Quote Originally Posted by NickAdams View Post
    When I first began writing, all of my stories where packed with adventure and gimmicks. I didn't think it was interesting if there wasn't any shock..... I have explored literature a lot since those years and though Hemingway is no longer my favorite author, it was him that made me appreciate a subtle story.

My advice would be to avoid using stories as vehicles for gimmicks....
    That's great advice, Nick, and I hope some of our young writers here will take note of it. We seem to have lots of younger folks who think there must be spewing blood or monsters lurking in trees at midnight to make a story interesting. That's not really the case at all, and I'm glad to hear you have come to realize that. You're getting ahead of the game now.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickZ View Post
    That's great advice, Nick, and I hope some of our young writers here will take note of it. We seem to have lots of younger folks who think there must be spewing blood or monsters lurking in trees at midnight to make a story interesting. That's not really the case at all, and I'm glad to hear you have come to realize that. You're getting ahead of the game now.
    I have to thank my college english professor for that. After reading a few of my essays he loaned me four books: 1984, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Stranger and Brave New World.

I've was a fan of the horror, mystery and thriller genre, but none of them could match the tension I felt when Winston Smith first wrote in his diary. But, those young folks might be the Dan Browns of the next generation.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Nice advice! It will definitely help me a lot! Thanks!