Thread: Clarify d'Artagnan's last quote...

Clarify d'Artagnan's last quote...

I would like opinions regarding d'Artagnan's last quote: "Athos, Porthos, farewell till we meet again! Aramis, adieu for ever!"

Could his words/meaning be interpreted as 'd'Artagnan doesn't forgive Aramis and that he doesn't expect Aramis to join them in Heaven?'

Blog Entries
    They are all friendly, but the one that is he least suspects to see again is Aramis...because of Aramis's nature. The comment is still a sign of respect...It just means I hope we don't have to do this again.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

D'Artaganan's Last Words??

First let me say that these last words give me chills, even reading them again after so many years. I cannot think of a finer ending to any book I've ever read. Dumas was a friggin genius.

As for their meaning? I don't think there can be any doubt as to this. Aramis is going to hell. For better or worse, despite his lack of intention, perhaps, Aramis' acts - his very character - doomed the two other musketeers, and D'Artagnan knew this. In fact, I think this ending made such a strong impression upon me because for the thousands of pages of the series, I could never find in my heart to like Aramis, and I felt bad about that. After all, 'all for one and one for all', etc. But this ending told me in clear terms that Dumas intended me to feel this way, and it was his feeling, too. That's writing for you.

So I guess I disagree with the other comment that it was all friendly. I don't feel it was friendly, but it certainly was uttered without rancor. At the time of his death, I don't feel D'Artagnan had any need to chastise, only to utter truth. He probably forgave Aramis long ago, cause he certainly couldn't have been ignorant of Aramis' true nature, or his responsibility for affairs. But it was an indictment, have no doubts. Otherwise, Dumas would not have ended the entire series with it.

Which is also interesting in light of Dumas saying at some point that the characters of Porthos and Aramis were based in part on different aspects of his own personality. Perhaps with age Dumas came to hate the aspect of himself that Aramis represented? Still... as flawed as the character was, he was also endlessly fascinating and never stopped being a true friend. The road to Hell really IS paved with good intentions.

'Not I,' said the cat. Sarasvati21's Avatar
    I think d'Artagnan was acknowledging the distance that had grown between himself and Aramis. Despite everything, he, Athos, and Porthos had managed to remain fairly close through the years, but Aramis had become separated from them. There was certainly no condemnation in d'Artagnan's last statement; if anything, it may have been very respectful.
    I think you are right, AthosESK. Aramis never stopped being a true friend, his loyalties just shifted a bit through the years. Perhaps he demonstrated a fantastic strength of character to continue doing what he believed despite the criticisms of his closest friends.
    "I’ve tasted all the sweetest creams
    and danced with daisies in dazed delight;
    sunny skies pervade my dreams
    and light the dark of earthly scenes..."

I think indeed it has to do with the fact that Aramis will go to hell and that d'Artagnan will see Athos and Porthos back in heaven, good and honourable people as they were.

When d'Artagnan meets Aramis again in the epilogue, it is clear that doesn't really see eye to eye with him anymore:

“Aramis!” cried d’Artagnan, struck with stupor. And, inert as he was, he suffered the thin arm of the old nobleman to rest trembling on his neck.

If d'Artagnan had loved him as much as Athos and Porthos, he would surely have embraced him. In stead, he lets Aramis embrace him but doesn't give anything back. Admittedly, he does take his arm, but I have the impression that he only does that for the form only. He doesn't even allow him to get near the grave of Athos and Raoul.

When they tell d'Artagnan that he will meet an old friend, he must surely know that Aramis should still be alive, yet he doesn't put two and two together. I think that tells a lot.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)