Thread: James Joyce's short stories

James Joyce's short stories

I was thinking of writing a paper on some of James Joyce's works. I'd like to use "Araby". Does anyone have any suggestions of two other stories I can use?

Islander

joyce's short stories

My favorite short story by Joyce is The Dead. It is the culmination of his book The Dubliners. Let me know what you think of it.

Blog Entries
    Just noticed your thread - bluepens and wanted you to know that March we are currently discussing the short stories in "Dubliners" thread. I hope you can join us. I read 'Araby' and liked it very much. 'The Dead' is probably my all-time favorite of the collection.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by bluepens View Post
    I was thinking of writing a paper on some of James Joyce's works. I'd like to use "Araby". Does anyone have any suggestions of two other stories I can use?
    James Joyce is a wirter, to me at least, more admired than read. He is highly artistic, and wrote stories stuffed with the best possible art form. As far as form is concenred he is unbeateable.
    But one can not easily understand him, for he wrote taking art into consideration. Art or form surpasses and supersedes the rest of other forms of art.

I tried to read his Ulysses many time and yet I failed to understand. I understand the fragments of them, not the whole.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Try A Little Cloud.

joyce

Hello bluepens. I saw your post about joyce and you writing a paper on his short stories, and I thought that maybe i might be of some help to you. Recently I have written a paper, (a small research) about "The Dead", and I'm lookin for people who write some stuff on this irish author. So if you have come up with something, let me know. Thank a lot.

Araby

Try "Eveline" by James Joyce. You may like it.

Jame Joyce is really a great writer and indeed he is famous. Yet there is arrogance in him as he seems too much obsessed with words. Of course he took pride in the use of words.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.