Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many members of this Forum have read Jane Austen?

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Crow View Post
    I've only read Pride and Prejudice as it was part of my coursework once up on a time. I like the book but I will not invest much of my time in her writing. I would rather read George Eliot. I admire how Austin turns her limitations into her strengths, i-e her small canvas and her limited experience. She depicts what she knows and it may not be much but she depicts it with the accuracy of a miniaturist. I don't dislike Jane Austin but I am not an admirer of any of the English or even British novelists. Give me a Russian or a French or an Irish novelist any day but English novel is certainly not my cup of tea.
    I love George Eliot too. What are your favorite French and Russian novels?

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    I read only Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice . I certainly have to read more!!!
    I loved the film ''Becoming Jane'' about Jane Austen's life! I strongly recommend it to anyone who is a Jane Austen fan!
    I also saw ''P&P'' the 1940 and the 2005 versions and only a bit from the 1995 version.
    Also saw the Sense and Sensibility version with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet!
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine Field View Post
    thelastmelon,

Thank you for the information about Jane austen's books. What do you mean when you put posthumous after her novels Persuasion and Northanger Abbey?
    I did not realize that lady Susan was an unfinished work. Are you sure about that? Which of her novels do you like best? I really Love Pride and Prejudice, and Emma. This book that you are currently reading, what is it about?(Norwegia by Haruki Murakami)
    Jane Austen was dead before the two books got published, thats what she means by posthumous.
    Yeah LW i think there was something like twenty years between the rejection and the first publication.
    I've read her six min books too many times (or not enough! ) and also "Catherine and other Stories" which has, as far as i'm aware, only been recently published.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Last week I read Emma and - contrary to my prejudices - I've learnt to enjoy it. I really doubted I would come to like a whole book about the narrow world of the English landred gentry 200 years ago. It definitely shows her quality as a littérateur that she can create an exciting novel only about bagatelles. After overcoming the first boring lines Emma became a pageturner for me.
    Maybe I will read another book by her in the future, I'm not sure yet.
    Čłowjek je dwójny, tež sam sebi. Tysacy słowow sym kaž paćerki stykał na swoje lĕta a na kóncu spóznał, zo ani jednoho słowa njeje, kotrež by jeho w ćĕle a duši we wšej wĕrnosći wĕrnje pomjenowało.

I *asked* for my account to be "deleted"
    Blog Entries
    Me

Lover of the Classics
    I am currently on deployment aboard USS Cole and am in the midst of reading Austen's novels. I have read Lady Susan (which was completed, just not published), Sense and Sensibility, and am currently reading Pride and Prejudice. Your thread indicated that you were interested in date of authorship, rather than publication, which many of the resposes gave. I too am mostly concerned with that, since I strongly prefer to read an author in order of his or her writing, for what I take to be obvious reasons. Does anyone have a written date for Northanger Abbey? The author of the forward in the paperback copy of P&P that I am reading stated that S&S, P&P and NA are Austen's early novels (although she doesn't state the dates or order for each).

Blog Entries
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar
    I love what I've read of Jane Austen:
    Northanger Abbey (hated it while we were studying it for school but then reread it and loved it)
    Emma
    Sense and Sensibility

And I watched all of the adaptations they had on ITV a while ago as well as the film of Northanger Abbey where Catherine walks around wearing a bonnet that looks like an egg.

For some reason, I've never fancied Pride and Prejudice; it's sitting on the shelf, but I never seem able to pick it up.

But I love the way that she immerses you in her world so deeply that you look up and are surprised when you don't see horses and carriages trundling around outside.
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Not I.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

what it is to burn. Tiny Dancer's Avatar

Red face

I am a 15 year old female and i've read all of Jane Austen's works. Frankly, i adore them and i could never egt enough of them..
    especially Pride and Prejudice and Emma. They always manage to make me feel great, unlike the Bronte sisters works (which i have read also) Jane Eyre is not as depressing as Wuthering Heights though, neither is Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I adore classics. I bought Ivanhoe the other day from a second hand store for $10 (It was an absoutely GORGEOUS version) and i was so excited about it that i bought it and ran all the way home. I cannot tell you how disappointed i was when i opened it up that night (in a very reading mood) to find that it was all in Russian. *sigh*

Blog Entries
    I read Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, and Persuasion at least four years ago. I liked Persuation and P&P very much. And I watched the movie adaptation of Emma.
    Art is a lie that leads to the truth.
    --Picasso

I've read 'pride and prejudice' and 'sense and sensibility'and I loved 'em very much I've also seen "emma" and "pride and prejudice"on tv

what it is to burn. Tiny Dancer's Avatar

Talking

GUESS WHAT!?!?!!?
    THE BBC SERIES EMMA IS COMING ON T.V!!!
    wooooooooo
    i am so happy right now!!!
    His clothes are dirty but his hands are clean
    And you're the best thing that he's ever seen

Why do people complain about the narrowness of Austen"s subject matter! The stories are a brilliant study of human character. I enjoy many types of books but don't judge a book by how far across a continent they traverse. I've read P&P many times, Emma twice although I didn't like it so much second time through,but I liked the movie so thanks for the info about the series, also Mansfield Park. Must get to northhanger abbey next.. .
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
    --Anais Nin

book lover extraordinaire antonia1990's Avatar
    I've read Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, The Watsons and Persuasion (my favourite). I've tried to read Emma, but didn't like the heroine so much and Mansfield Park is not so tempting just because I find the whole cousins marrying thing to be a bit disgusting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast